Home

The awareness attribute

This is a discussion on The awareness attribute within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-09-2014, 04:00 PM   #1
Pro

Shon 23's Arena

OVR: 0
The awareness attribute

Does anyone know if the awareness attribute has an affect on say DBs and LBs?

I user-control the DE the majority of the time, so I know with a user-controlled player awareness will not matter, but does it affect anything for the user's CPU defenders, particularly coverage skills, alertness, or in general what to do on a play?

For example, is it worth spending XP on awareness initially, on a CB (a rookie) with okay coverage skills, but has a 68 awareness? Or is it a useless stat, only increasing a player's overall rating? I know it increased the overall rating of players in M25, but never did figure out if it had a clear-cut affect on CPU DBs or LBs.

Last edited by Shon 23; 09-09-2014 at 04:03 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-09-2014, 04:39 PM   #2
Pro

BTownSlinger's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: The awareness attribute

Yes awareness is huge for CB's. Helps them make a break on the ball quicker, as well as faster reaction time to WR route running.

I'm sure it affects other things as well.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:44 PM   #3
Pro

Shon 23's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTownSlinger
Yes awareness is huge for CB's. Helps them make a break on the ball quicker, as well as faster reaction time to WR route running.

I'm sure it affects other things as well.
Great to hear then, I'm glad I finally got a reply on this, because it's been bugging me.

I'm starting my CFM tonight, and I'll probably be working on raising this rookie CB's awareness then, first. He has pretty okay coverage skills, but if awareness affects the DBs in that manner when the CPU is controlling them, then that is definitely where I'll start. Thanks.
Old 09-10-2014, 02:37 AM   #4
Pro

OVR: 8

I've always been curious also about the relation between the awareness attribute and the recognise play/play recognition attribute.

Always figured that awareness is the ability to make a defensive play, and play recognition is the ability to not lose coverage or put yourself in the right positions to make a play.

A high awareness, low play recognition guy could break to a play quicker, but might be more reactive.

A high play recognition, low awareness guy will stick with him man and be in the right place and the right time, but might not have the presence of mind to make a key defensive play (like an interception, knock down, big hit, etc).

Of course, this is all just theory on my part.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:19 AM   #5
Pro

Davon_A_Brown's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarek
I've always been curious also about the relation between the awareness attribute and the recognise play/play recognition attribute.

Always figured that awareness is the ability to make a defensive play, and play recognition is the ability to not lose coverage or put yourself in the right positions to make a play.

A high awareness, low play recognition guy could break to a play quicker, but might be more reactive.

A high play recognition, low awareness guy will stick with him man and be in the right place and the right time, but might not have the presence of mind to make a key defensive play (like an interception, knock down, big hit, etc).

Of course, this is all just theory on my part.

I believe Play Recognition is strictly for recognizing run/pass at the snap and how likely you're to be fooled by play action/draws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2014, 09:30 AM   #6
Pro

BTownSlinger's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davon_A_Brown
I believe Play Recognition is strictly for recognizing run/pass at the snap and how likely you're to be fooled by play action/draws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah that is my understanding as well.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:40 AM   #7
MVP

Gorilla Glass's Arena

OVR: 6

Awareness is the first thing I max out on my defensive players, followed my pursuit.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:11 PM   #8
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

On defense, AWR is important for things like locating a thrown ball so a defender can react to it (via swat attempt or interception attempt, as governed by the "Plays Ball In The Air" trait among other things), recognizing that a fumble has occurred, making a decision to fall on a fumble vs. attempting to scoop-and-score, and other mental things. It's more of a "general powers of observation" attribute.

As previously stated, Play Recognition (PRC) is equally important on defense, as it quantifies the defender's ability to properly identify a play, react properly to play action, draws, and so on. Think of this more like "specific football intelligence".

Note that AWR (and I assume PRC) don't have any affect on a player who is being actively controlled by a user (i.e. you are selected on him and doing more than just holding down the defensive assist button).

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »