Home

How rigged can this game be?

This is a discussion on How rigged can this game be? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-20-2015, 03:57 PM   #25
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48
Re: How rigged can this game be?

@ the OP:

Are you playing with custom sliders? What difficulty?

If it's All-Madden, be aware that the game does boost ratings for the CPU team on that level - that is not speculation, it's fact based on being able to change the difficulty mid-game and see the numbers on the coach stick matchups change in real-time. Because of how Clutch works, that effect is probably magnified in late game situations, possibly causing the CPU to seem unbeatable.

Personally I don't see this phenomenon on All-Pro, where I usually play Madden. But I'm not going to deny that strange things happen on every current sports game's highest difficulty levels.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-20-2015, 04:27 PM   #26
Run After Catch

OVR: 13

Never have bought into the comeback AI theories. If anything, I've found the bigger lead I get against the computer the easier it is to defend because there's a point where the CPU doesn't seem to want to run the ball any more.

Right or wrong, this should be near the top of any list of sports gaming conspiracies. I can remember reading stuff like this back in 02-03. It has clearly stood the test of time.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:49 PM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 0

I have had more experience / issues etc in this regard with Madden compared to other sports games. With all the basketball games I have played if I continue to play smart I will generally stay in control and win. The same with baseball games if I continued to pitch well and not chase everything while at bat I would stay in control and win.

But with Madden when it begins to happen I have zero control over it.. My AI teammates become idiots , unable to tackle , drop passes etc.. I wont include fumbles since they happen and are big plays however I will mentioned the oddity of consecutive fumbles either on the same play ( I fumble , Cpu recovers and fumbles , I recover and fumble again , Cpu recovers ) or back to back ( to back sometimes ) possessions.

Make no mistake. Comeback code does exist and has existed for decades.. Some can just hide it better than others or implement it in a way that capitalizes on user mistakes instead of artificially forcing mistakes.
Old 07-22-2015, 01:58 PM   #28
MVP

therizing02's Arena

OVR: 20

I have rarely if ever felt like this in Madden. I can't remember the last time I played a game and felt like I was "meant to lose". I've had blow out wins and losses. Tight wins and losses and in every game I can think of something I did that lead to the result.

While we're on the subject, FIFA and NHL are hands down the worst when it comes to this. Especially in any game mode other than Play Now. There are just some games that play out where you know you aren't winning.

I once gave up 6 goals to West Bromwich Albion inside the first 30 minutes at the Emirates with Arsenal. Nothing could be done. They were faster, got to every loose ball, their goalie was like Buffon in his prime, and I couldn't complete the simplest of passes. In short, I was not winning that game. It happens a lot.

In FIFA and NHL (both made at EA Canada) it seems that the devs sit around a table and discuss how a typical game plays out. To recreate this the ratings constantly fluctuate during a game allowing for more optimal times for you or the opponent to score a goal. It's the only explanation I can come up with when me or the CPU cannot complete the simplest of passes or even get off a shot and then all of the sudden become FC Barcelona on a case of Red Bull regardless of individual ratings. It's obvious, it's stupid, and it's part of the reason that IMO, FIFA is an overrated game.

And then there is the obvious scripting to recreate the "magical moments". The amount of late game goals in both games is in a word...disgusting.

In all the years I've been playing Madden, I've never felt like me losing of winning was pre-determined. I hope it doesn't change.
Old 07-22-2015, 02:02 PM   #29
MVP

OhMrHanky's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOS1181
I have had more experience / issues etc in this regard with Madden compared to other sports games. With all the basketball games I have played if I continue to play smart I will generally stay in control and win. The same with baseball games if I continued to pitch well and not chase everything while at bat I would stay in control and win.

But with Madden when it begins to happen I have zero control over it.. My AI teammates become idiots , unable to tackle , drop passes etc.. I wont include fumbles since they happen and are big plays however I will mentioned the oddity of consecutive fumbles either on the same play ( I fumble , Cpu recovers and fumbles , I recover and fumble again , Cpu recovers ) or back to back ( to back sometimes ) possessions.

Make no mistake. Comeback code does exist and has existed for decades.. Some can just hide it better than others or implement it in a way that capitalizes on user mistakes instead of artificially forcing mistakes.
lol, i tell u what, man. I still remember a game (cannot remember which madden, but within last 5 years) where I needed a FG to win it or tie in the 4th qtr, man. I drove the ball to the 15 or 20 yd line. I line up, try to snap the ball . . . and, FALSE START! lol, move me back 5 yards, line up, try to snap the ball . . . and, FALSE START! lol, ok, 5 more yards, line up, try to snap the ball . . . and, FALSE START! lol. I swear, man, 3 straight false starts on what WAS a short FG attempt. I actually can't even remember if i made it or not, it was simply the calling of THREE straight false starts that i remember. I mean, legit, it felt like Madden was saying, "No, i'm sorry, but we scheduled a loss for u this week. Please, bend over and take your medicine."
Old 07-22-2015, 02:19 PM   #30
Rookie

Kingd803's Arena

OVR: 4

Sorry I havent responded, I'm a bad OP I know lol

But the only slider I touched was cpu passing and I dropped that to 40 to try and get some errant throws from the cpu.

One poster said they feel like people post things like I did to make excuses for losing to the cpu? But I super sim Deffense so I don't have any control over what happens.

And what about those random one hand missed catch animations where the ball will be right in front of my WR but the game triggers that animation so he won't catch it?

Also I've noticed if I'm in FG range and say screw it and super sim it my kicker will either miss it or it will get blocked. It never fails. I've had my kicker miss a 26 Yarber and a 28 yard FG. What is that crap? Lol
Old 07-22-2015, 02:35 PM   #31
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

This is not a thing. It is player skill combined with difficulty settings and the law of averages.

On default All Madden, (I don't have M15, but prior version) the internal sliders were set to 25 for the user and 75 for the computer (if I recall) in all categories. I think in Madden 25 (14) though I think that the only change to this was that user catch always stayed at 50.

Anyway, the point is that on default All-Madden, the game makes your players worse and the AI players better for the sake of challenge. That, combined with improved AI decision making for all-madden, the default settings are tough.

The sliders section of OS for Madden 25 had a consensus that setting everything to 50 except pass and run blocking (for the user and computer), which were set to zero... then saving those setting, going back and telling the game to be played in all madden... then reloading the slider settings and saving set the game to play a customized all-madden mode. A mode that was far more fair and enjoyable. you go all the benefits of increased AI logic and a faster kicking meeter without most of the unfair computer advantages.

===============

In my experience, the AI has a real hard time against cover 3. it isn't some super defense that will allow you to shut out the computer, but I find the AI makes more mistakes and is more hesitant against cover 3 than any other defense. Especially if you user control the coverage to the back side to stop a potential curl flat combination, or if there is someone lined up in the slot, if you protect against any seam/corner possibilities. If you can anticipate and take those away as a user, the AI get frustrated and the pass rush has a chance to get there. If you get really good at anticipating the curl flat, you can even start baiting the throw and nab some user picks with practice.

I just play variations of cover three all day long until I am backed up into the red zone. It keeps 8 in the box against the run, or 7 in the box while in nickle. It prevents the deep ball and forces the AI to nickle and dime you.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-22-2015, 04:51 PM   #32
MVP

OhMrHanky's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by therizing02
I have rarely if ever felt like this in Madden. I can't remember the last time I played a game and felt like I was "meant to lose". I've had blow out wins and losses. Tight wins and losses and in every game I can think of something I did that lead to the result.

While we're on the subject, FIFA and NHL are hands down the worst when it comes to this. Especially in any game mode other than Play Now. There are just some games that play out where you know you aren't winning.

I once gave up 6 goals to West Bromwich Albion inside the first 30 minutes at the Emirates with Arsenal. Nothing could be done. They were faster, got to every loose ball, their goalie was like Buffon in his prime, and I couldn't complete the simplest of passes. In short, I was not winning that game. It happens a lot.

In FIFA and NHL (both made at EA Canada) it seems that the devs sit around a table and discuss how a typical game plays out. To recreate this the ratings constantly fluctuate during a game allowing for more optimal times for you or the opponent to score a goal. It's the only explanation I can come up with when me or the CPU cannot complete the simplest of passes or even get off a shot and then all of the sudden become FC Barcelona on a case of Red Bull regardless of individual ratings. It's obvious, it's stupid, and it's part of the reason that IMO, FIFA is an overrated game.

And then there is the obvious scripting to recreate the "magical moments". The amount of late game goals in both games is in a word...disgusting.

In all the years I've been playing Madden, I've never felt like me losing of winning was pre-determined. I hope it doesn't change.
As an avid player of FIFA online and Madden Offline, I will say, yes, I have felt this in fifa b4, but I think madden is worst. Even when I "feel" fifa screwing me (again, mostly online as i rarely play fifa offline) with ridiculous goals, and NONE of my players can maintain a dribble. Man, I do remember one particular game of fifa as well that I was feeling the "kick u in the nuts" bug where I was down a few goals that were ugly, and my team was looking like complete clowns (I play with Chelsea, btw, and they are NOT clowns. lol), I kicked a cross in to a wide open player in front of a wide open goal, and he just kicked it out of bounds. You'll have to believe me when i say, "there is NO way ANYONE would've missed this kick" It was almost IMPOSSIBLE to kick the ball out of bounds from the angle he had. lol. Anyways, that game sticks out to me, and fifa def has momentum in their game. But, for me, i never feel out of a fifa match. I always feel in control of my players and the overall outcome and have comeback from being down 4-1 or 5-0 a few times. I enjoy the momentum in fifa, actually, and don't quite feel the script as bad as I have in madden. Maybe, it's because I only play madden offline, though, so always against the cpu, and it always feels "off". But, anyways, I don't think there is absolute code for "u will lose, now" or "u will win, now", but man, some madden games have had me scratching my head and hucking my controller across the room. lol. But, fifa, I always feel like i'm in it if i hunker down and focus more.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »