Home

Does strength matter for DEs?

This is a discussion on Does strength matter for DEs? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-04-2015, 10:48 AM   #9
Where is A-Aron

bspring3's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Does strength matter for DEs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavicchi
Does it make sense to you that he has crazy high power move and just 65 for strength?
No not really lol. But that is a ratings issue and not really a overall calculation issue. I am not sure how strength actually impacts the success calculation on power and finesse moves, but I would assume it has some bearing. Collins would be more successful on the outside because his low strength would not be as much of a detriment as it would be on the inside of the Dline in a 3-4 DE position
Old 09-04-2015, 11:00 AM   #10
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bspring3
No not really lol. But that is a ratings issue and not really a overall calculation issue. I am not sure how strength actually impacts the success calculation on power and finesse moves, but I would assume it has some bearing. Collins would be more successful on the outside because his low strength would not be as much of a detriment as it would be on the inside of the Dline in a 3-4 DE position
Yes that's what I thought, Collins would be more effective as he is, LOLB, not DE for any team running mainly 3-4. And that's why I don't understand why he would have a higher overall as defensive end.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:06 AM   #11
Where is A-Aron

bspring3's Arena

Quote:
Yes that's what I thought, Collins would be more effective as he is, LOLB, not DE for any team running mainly 3-4. And that's why I don't understand why he would have a higher overall as defensive end.
This is kind of off topic, but the reasoning basically is that Overall ratings suck imo. Madden's overall calculations are not the best, for example the Catch rating is not used in the overall calculation for cornerbacks and safeties. As I said before, I use individual attribute ratings and not the overall ratings to determine which players I start and I would recommend getting in that habit.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-04-2015, 11:13 AM   #12
MVP

Quote:
This is kind of off topic, but the reasoning basically is that Overall ratings suck imo. Madden's overall calculations are not the best, for example the Catch rating is not used in the overall calculation for cornerbacks and safeties. As I said before, I use individual attribute ratings and not the overall ratings to determine which players I start and I would recommend getting in that habit.
When you say individual attribute ratings, is that based on the scheme for position? If so, you would start say someone with a lower overall at that position based on who you believe is better?

With Instant Starter On, I think you could start lower rated player at their position.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:18 AM   #13
Where is A-Aron

bspring3's Arena

Quote:
When you say individual attribute ratings, is that based on the scheme for position? If so, you would start say someone with a lower overall at that position based on who you believe is better?
That is correct. I will provide an example for two 3-4 DEs.

Player A: 90 Str, 95 PMV, 80 Bkshd, 65 PlayRec, 65 Awr
Player B: 80 Str, 90 PMV, 85 Bkshd, 85 PlayRec, 85 Awr

Looking at that, Player B would most likely have the higher overall but I would start Player A because i want STR and PMV to be higher...plus the lower attributes for Player A are cheaper to upgrade.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:30 AM   #14
MVP

Quote:
That is correct. I will provide an example for two 3-4 DEs.

Player A: 90 Str, 95 PMV, 80 Bkshd, 65 PlayRec, 65 Awr
Player B: 80 Str, 90 PMV, 85 Bkshd, 85 PlayRec, 85 Awr

Looking at that, Player B would most likely have the higher overall but I would start Player A because i want STR and PMV to be higher...plus the lower attributes for Player A are cheaper to upgrade.
Thanks, you have been very helpful. I absolutely agree with you about importance of strength for 3-4 DEs. On my team, the Bills, Dareus has 94 for strength, DT, There was a time when I thought of moving him to DE, LE because he doesn't have much speed. But, his overall would be much less. The other thing is I wonder how much of a negative it would be with his low 70's speed rating?

We are talking 3-4 and to what extent do we value strength over speed? Let's say we have choices, such as Dareus (94 strength) or Poe (96-97 strength) both DTs and someone like Mack who has 82 strength but much better speed. What would you do there in a 3-4 for DEs?
Old 09-04-2015, 11:34 AM   #15
Where is A-Aron

bspring3's Arena

For me in a 3-4, strength over speed...try putting the player scheme at 3-4 run stopper, that's what I generally use when I run 3-4 and it gives the best representation that madden can give you if you want to look at overalls

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-04-2015, 11:44 AM   #16
MVP

Quote:
For me in a 3-4, strength over speed...try putting the player scheme at 3-4 run stopper, that's what I generally use when I run 3-4 and it gives the best representation that madden can give you if you want to look at overalls

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The situation is complicated by the Bills having a Hybrid defense. Theoretically I should be using both 3-4 and 4-3, but it is mainly 3-4. Now, I don't see any 4-3 sets in my Bills playbook. So this Bills Hybrid has me confused. I have edited the Bills playbook to include a few 4-3 sets because we're supposed to be a Hybrid Defense. I could take out the 4-3 sets since originally there were none. But, that would make sense if I could change Hybrid to 3-4. Or I could just leave it alone as Hybrid, even though there are only 3-4 sets. Maybe Madden considers the Quarter or Dollar related to 4-3 and thus declares Rex Ryan a Hybrid defense?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »