Home

Stretch runs

This is a discussion on Stretch runs within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-06-2016, 11:42 AM   #17
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: Stretch runs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfie
If Cover 4 is the best bet to stop a run play, that itself is a huge concern in that the game doesn't reflect the real football. Last year Quarters was used to stop the run and this year it's Cover 4. Realistically how can a formation with 4 deep safeties be able to stop running the ball (say from a 2 TE of 2 RB sets)? If you do the math, offense will have 5 linemen, 2 TEs and a FB blocking for the HB, i.e. 8 blockers. How can a Cover 4 realistically stop a run play consistently? In real life I should be able to gash you for 4-5 yards every play.

Ask Ed Reed's Baltimore Ravens and Troy Polamalu's Pittsburgh Steelers how well calling quarters coverage worked to defend the outside run.
Old 09-06-2016, 11:49 AM   #18
AWFL Commish

Aestis's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Ask Ed Reed's Baltimore Ravens and Troy Polamalu's Pittsburgh Steelers how well calling quarters coverage worked to defend the outside run.

I haven't played much with C4 this year but I tried my best at times to make M16 into a Ravens style read-react C4. Does it work well? Love that most people think C4 is a prevent pass D and have no idea how the Ravens revolutionized how it works. I just assumed Madden wouldn't capture this well.

Commissioner
After Work Football League
(Xbox Series S/X)
AWFL Discord
AWFL Daddyleagues
Old 09-06-2016, 11:59 AM   #19
Pro

Slaticus's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aestis
I haven't played much with C4 this year but I tried my best at times to make M16 into a Ravens style read-react C4. Does it work well? Love that most people think C4 is a prevent pass D and have no idea how the Ravens revolutionized how it works. I just assumed Madden wouldn't capture this well.
Cover 4 is what Michigan State runs as well, generally as their base coverage vs Run or Pass. As a user, this defensive set SHOULD give you a lot of options on how to defend stuff. You can bring up the WK safety and roll the linebackers strong or weak to give yourself a 4-4 look, which is difficult to run outside against.

Something not enough people are doing or seem to realize is that playing 2 high safties against the run is a bad thing. Cover 2 IS NOT a run stopping defense. If you are getting gashed, you have to adjust. Are the stretch runs a little OP? Yes. Until you get used to usering a LBer or a safety. There is no PERFECT defense any more.

Also, H2H is crap and will always be a crap shoot. There is always some jobless dbag whose only love comes from finding money plays in Madden. Always. And then he or she will post them to youtube. And then it gets copied en mass by everyone who wants to be a "tournament" player. Which ruins online play. If you want sim ball, find a sim CFM, but do not look for in online.

If you would like to see the Wing T in action, you can check out my twitch channel. I stream there..badly. I post highlights on my youtube channel as well!
Old 09-06-2016, 12:03 PM   #20
Tecmo Super Bowl = GOAT

charter04's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfie
If Cover 4 is the best bet to stop a run play, that itself is a huge concern in that the game doesn't reflect the real football. Last year Quarters was used to stop the run and this year it's Cover 4. Realistically how can a formation with 4 deep safeties be able to stop running the ball (say from a 2 TE of 2 RB sets)? If you do the math, offense will have 5 linemen, 2 TEs and a FB blocking for the HB, i.e. 8 blockers. How can a Cover 4 realistically stop a run play consistently when the numbers on the defense are not on their side? In real life I should be able to gash you for 4-5 yards every play.
Michigan State would disagree with you. Cover 4 is a great run stopping defense in real life. It's not two deep. It's not prevent.
Old 09-06-2016, 12:05 PM   #21
Tecmo Super Bowl = GOAT

charter04's Arena

This thread shows why some need to watch real football more and learn real football strategy instead of basing things on how things have been done in Madden.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-06-2016, 12:08 PM   #22
Pro

Slaticus's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by charter04
This thread shows why some need to watch real football more and learn real football strategy instead of basing things on how things have been done in Madden.
Half of this community doesn't watch football man. Been that way for years.

If you would like to see the Wing T in action, you can check out my twitch channel. I stream there..badly. I post highlights on my youtube channel as well!
Old 09-06-2016, 12:13 PM   #23
Tecmo Super Bowl = GOAT

charter04's Arena

http://breakdownsports.blogspot.com/...-playbook.html

Notice one of the strengths listed is 9 men in the box for run support because of the safeties.
Old 09-06-2016, 12:22 PM   #24
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by charter04
http://breakdownsports.blogspot.com/...-playbook.html

Notice one of the strengths listed is 9 men in the box for run support because of the safeties.
Piggybacking off this, an article from Grantland (RIP) by Chris Brown (Smart Football) about the evolution of defenses, and specifically about the Cover 4 as an effective run defense: http://grantland.com/features/how-tr...-nfl-defenses/

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »