Home

PS2>PS3/PS4

This is a discussion on PS2>PS3/PS4 within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-20-2017, 10:35 AM   #17
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: PS2>PS3/PS4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
For me there is no component of the PS2 game that is better than what we currently have.

On the field any attempt at a comparison is laughable, especially with respect to strategy, AI, football fundamentals, user agency, commentary, and presentation. With respect to variety of gameplay modes, the current game has multiple ways to play with MUT, Franchise, and Draft Champions all worth playing. Speaking specifically to Franchise itself, playing online franchise with my brother and our mutual friends across the country matters far more to me than any of the few missing bells and whistles the old games had that the current ones don't.

The one point I will give in the old games' favor is specific to the PC Madden games, which were based on the PS2 engine: the capacity those games had for supporting customization via in-game features and third-party tools, specifically with respect to teams. I have fond memories of running a 32-custom-team league on Madden 06 PC. Unfortunately, the current Madden console game simply can't do that.

That notwithstanding, I wouldn't trade what we have now for that old game under any circumstance.
Online franchise is something you could do on ps2. I was doing it since at least madden 08. You imported a game , played it and then synched it with a master save that one member had.

Again, the rest is personal preference. The ps3/4 game is boring and repetitive in my opinion and that trumps all. The game could break down the advantages of 3-4 vs 4-3 for me to the point that I could discuss it with an NFL coach and it wouldn't matter.

Bottom line for me is my opponents don't attack me differently when they have Tom Brady vs RG3 at qb. They used to on the ps2 and it ultimately was more fun. If madden released madden 18 with a retro mode ala the show and it was the ps2 gameplay, I would actually buy for the first time in 5 years and that's all I would play.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:00 AM   #18
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

The non-scrambling QB's is an issue that is a must fix and so is kicking FG's so they aren't all automatic for some people.(I miss FG's with the wind, against the wind) I've had the CPU miss 45 yd fg's.

Since the last patch, ratings matter on the OL/DL. If you have a weak OL, your OL will be exposed vs a strong DL. If you have a weak DL vs strong OL, you better bring the blitz. If your DL is strong enough vs a weak OL, all you need is 4 rushers.

Is the game a perfect replica of NFL football? No, and the developers know that, but, it's the best I've seen from Madden since the PC days, game play wise.

I do hope they add more features to CFM, but I don't have much time these days to debate how much hot dog prices should be or listen to a Mike and Mike show.

There has been a lot of praise for this title update across the board from the Sim community.

Last edited by roadman; 02-20-2017 at 11:19 AM.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:33 AM   #19
MVP

underdog13's Arena

OVR: 0

Yeah I don't think any of those Madden's are better than Madden 17. I just enjoy the additional customization that the pc games give you. I wouldn't be playing the ps2 versions if there was no PC version.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2017, 01:21 PM   #20
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
Online franchise is something you could do on ps2. I was doing it since at least madden 08. You imported a game , played it and then synched it with a master save that one member had.
No, inviting online opponents to franchise games was absolutely not online franchise. Neither was exporting games to files in the PC version and importing game results back in later (I personally don't remember franchise game export to file ever existing on console, inviting an online opponent into a franchise game was absolutely a thing on console starting with Madden 07 though). Regardless, describing either of those features as "online franchise" overloads them with meaning and functionality they absolutely didn't have, including but not limited to:
  • a user may load and view a franchise game save remotely without intervention by the league commissioner (i.e. the game save lives on a controlled server, not passing memory cards back and forth or one player having a "master" local franchise file)
  • a user may play a game for a given week at any time without intervention by the league commissioner (i.e. a user doesn't have to wait for a commissioner to export his game to a file to play)
  • a user may perform roster management functions for his team without intervention by the league commissioner (sign free agents, manage depth chart, cut players, offer trades, etc.)
  • a user may only perform roster management functions for his team (i.e. permissions)
  • all users may participate simultaneously and remotely in the rookie draft live event
That's the bare minimum for "online franchise" in the correct definition of the term. There were other football games before Madden NFL 11 (the first Madden with any true online franchise functionality, nerfed as it may have been) which met the bar I set above. Simply inviting online opponents to individual games doesn't begin to cover any of the above bare-minimum functionality for such a mode.

Quote:
Again, the rest is personal preference.
I mean, at the end of the day it's all personal preference which game you prefer to play, sure. That said, I personally don't see how one can make any reasonable argument that the PS2 game offers more things and better things to do than the current game for the reasons I listed above. There is no feature of the PS2 game on the field or off it which is more robust / well-designed / truer to the real-life NFL, the PS2 game has fewer and shallower gameplay mechanics to master (even getting to core basic stuff such as making a tackle), the PS2 game has fewer modes and ways to play, the modes which are shared between the PS2 and PS4 games are ten years behind on PS2 with respect to gameplay balance, the PS2 game doesn't offer any reasonable on-boarding assistance for new players, and the total package is less cohesive. It is objectively inferior in every possible capacity.

Doesn't make it a bad game, per se - it was a good game for its time - but it just doesn't hold up when graded against modern expectations.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:08 PM   #21
All Star

Madden is way better on ps4 then it was on ps3 but there are some things that ps2 madden still does better. Franchise mode was better on ps2 and scrambling QB's not scrambling was never a issue on ps2. Also CPU clock management was never a issue on ps2 either. With madden on both ps3 and ps4 if the CPU should be going into no huddle like say they are down by 2 scores with only like 4 minutes left they will not do it and they would on ps2. Right now the only way CPU goes into no huddle is if there is less then 2 minutes left.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-21-2017, 10:59 AM   #22
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

I like the running animations, and some of the passing animations better on PS2, that's about it on the field....

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Old 02-21-2017, 11:47 AM   #23
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
The non-scrambling QB's is an issue that is a must fix and so is kicking FG's so they aren't all automatic for some people.(I miss FG's with the wind, against the wind) I've had the CPU miss 45 yd fg's.

Since the last patch, ratings matter on the OL/DL. If you have a weak OL, your OL will be exposed vs a strong DL. If you have a weak DL vs strong OL, you better bring the blitz. If your DL is strong enough vs a weak OL, all you need is 4 rushers.

Is the game a perfect replica of NFL football? No, and the developers know that, but, it's the best I've seen from Madden since the PC days, game play wise.

I do hope they add more features to CFM, but I don't have much time these days to debate how much hot dog prices should be or listen to a Mike and Mike show.

There has been a lot of praise for this title update across the board from the Sim community.
This, qb scrambling was better on any other football video game I can remember playing in the Last 25 years compared to madden 17. That is no small failure. The fact that you can defend every qb the same should be embarrassing to the people responsible for this game. You had to actually play the game differently against Vick than you did brady. They have done some wonderful on field stuff that those older games can't compare to but the scrambling and the lack of star power in the game are dissapointing. In those old games super stars on offense and defense stood out much better than they do today.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:54 AM   #24
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by timhere1970
This, qb scrambling was better on any other football video game I can remember playing in the Last 25 years compared to madden 17. That is no small failure. The fact that you can defend every qb the same should be embarrassing to the people responsible for this game. You had to actually play the game differently against Vick than you did brady. They have done some wonderful on field stuff that those older games can't compare to but the scrambling and the lack of star power in the game are dissapointing. In those old games super stars on offense and defense stood out much better than they do today.
I don't mind superstars sticking out, but I like to see the non-superstars have good games too.

The star QB's in the league pass the ball around more vs targeting one main WR. Favre did that early in his career to Sterling Sharp because he was just learning the offense.

Plus, I feel with this last patch the stud OL/DL lines stick out more.

Hopefully, the game keeps improving.

Last edited by roadman; 02-21-2017 at 03:53 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »