Home

its cool how when you play with bad QBs your line doesn't block well

This is a discussion on its cool how when you play with bad QBs your line doesn't block well within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-10-2017, 01:31 AM   #1
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7
its cool how when you play with bad QBs your line doesn't block well

You guys noticed this right?

Run a test yourself if you are in an offline franchise. Start your backup QB for a game, and notice how the pressure gets there quicker.

The quality of your QB impacts the pass protection.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-10-2017, 09:35 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: its cool how when you play with bad QBs your line doesn't block well

When i have a big lead in the 4th i sub out all my starters with 6 or more years of exerience. I assumed the bad line play was due to my backup center having lower awareness but you are probably right. It is madden so they will always try a gimmick over making players play to their ratings. With all the complaining last year about how good backu qb's were they probably just tuned the line to play like crap instead of fixing the issue. If you notice pre release they talked about backups playing worse a lot. They always said backups, never bad qb's will play worse.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:04 AM   #3
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by timhere1970
When i have a big lead in the 4th i sub out all my starters with 6 or more years of exerience. I assumed the bad line play was due to my backup center having lower awareness but you are probably right. It is madden so they will always try a gimmick over making players play to their ratings. With all the complaining last year about how good backu qb's were they probably just tuned the line to play like crap instead of fixing the issue. If you notice pre release they talked about backups playing worse a lot. They always said backups, never bad qb's will play worse.
I'm pretty sure the QB's awareness modifies the blocking, so they are playing to their ratings in that sense. I don't think it has anything to do with whether a QB is a backup or not.

Attributes and QB ratings are a weak point in Madden, the things that Madden uses to rate QBs isn't representative of what separates NFL QBs.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:11 AM   #4
MVP

SolidSquid's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
You guys noticed this right?

Run a test yourself if you are in an offline franchise. Start your backup QB for a game, and notice how the pressure gets there quicker.

The quality of your QB impacts the pass protection.
Which is why madden will never be sim. I could start the highest five pass blocking ol in he game but if I start a rookie qb with low awareness the line suffers
Old 10-10-2017, 11:19 AM   #5
MVP

Joe Thomas is not going to become a bad blocker just because a bad qb comes into the game or for that matter if his center has low awareness. It's the thousand things like this that have been put into the game over the years as modifiers to gameplay that have not even been kept track of that prevents a good game being made. Yet, they continue to do it instead of making a new game or actually fixing problems.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-10-2017, 01:33 PM   #6
Rookie

While a poor QB does not have a direct affect on the o-line in the NFL, the QB is usually in charge or calling out or modifying protection schemes.

I appreciate that a poor QB is harder to win with. Most poor QB's take more sacks, throw under more pressure, etc. I think they've done much better this year of making a 70ovr QB feel like a struggle to be good.
Old 10-10-2017, 01:39 PM   #7
All Star

Gosens6's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by artofperfection
While a poor QB does not have a direct affect on the o-line in the NFL, the QB is usually in charge or calling out or modifying protection schemes.

I appreciate that a poor QB is harder to win with. Most poor QB's take more sacks, throw under more pressure, etc. I think they've done much better this year of making a 70ovr QB feel like a struggle to be good.

No, what they’ve done is make your offensive line play exponentially worse because you have a lower rated QB at the helm.

The QB should make bad decisions, errant throws, etc.

A superior offensive line shouldn’t all of a sudden become a cake walk because a low rated QB is in the game.

All of a sudden elite blockers are going to forget to block because they have a low rated guy under center? No way. That low rated QB should still get the same kind of protection, but make more mistakes because of his inability to be good/elite.

With all the talk about needing to put together a good offensive line to stay competitive, this is just another example of things not working they way they say it will.

I’ve noticed this issue for a LONG time.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 10-10-2017, 03:16 PM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosens6
No, what they’ve done is make your offensive line play exponentially worse because you have a lower rated QB at the helm.

The QB should make bad decisions, errant throws, etc.

A superior offensive line shouldn’t all of a sudden become a cake walk because a low rated QB is in the game.

All of a sudden elite blockers are going to forget to block because they have a low rated guy under center? No way. That low rated QB should still get the same kind of protection, but make more mistakes because of his inability to be good/elite.

With all the talk about needing to put together a good offensive line to stay competitive, this is just another example of things not working they way they say it will.

I’ve noticed this issue for a LONG time.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Again, I would argue the better QB's in the NFL control their protection, read blitzes, etc. much better. This usually translates to more time even from a bad offensive line. Since Madden has no function for poor form, holding the ball to long, or not reading a blitz correctly, they choose to create a more difficult setting an alternative way. Imagine having a 68ovr QB, but rather than an OP pass rush, the throw was delayed by a second. Wouldn't that frustrate you more?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »