Home

Football coach who is losing his mind

This is a discussion on Football coach who is losing his mind within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-14-2018, 12:50 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0
Football coach who is losing his mind

Let’s open this up by saying that I’m a football junkie. Books. Film. Clinic talks. I love them. I soak them up. As a player I was looking at those books reading how to block outside zone. Watching how the run and shoot works. Reading “how to coach a pro style offense”. All kinds of football knowledge I know varyingly. I am a high school offensive coordinator who lives to coach football and madden infuriates me. Nothings worse than making your custom play book. Having your checks and audibles. Coming to your line checking the front and changing your play at the line to attack their defense. Then, because something screws up on madden or something completely unrealistic happens you lose yards, and eventually lose the game. On all pro, the game left to its own devices (meaning no one user Controlling players) the blocks will set up nicely most of the time. However, any true competitor doesn’t want to play a computer. He wants to play someone. He wants a chess match.
Is there a league out there where I can play with people that aren’t looking to play it like an arcade game? Is there a league where they don’t allow players to use the “show blitz” button that distorts the defense to be wildly out of position yet I can’t attack it because the madden video game doesn’t allow you to. I just want to play people like that. Is that possible?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-14-2018, 12:31 PM   #2
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43
Re: Football coach who is losing his mind

There will be for '19. I'll be recruiting for and running a league then. I do know of a league that is fair and fun while vaguely sim as is practical if you're interested.

FYI, I'd take exception to your characterization that show-blitz is not sim. Most NFL teams show a false shell until a certain point on the play-clock, and if they're out of shell at the snap, it's your responsibility to diagnose and exploit that.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Operation Sports mobile app

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.

Last edited by adembroski; 02-14-2018 at 12:34 PM.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:39 PM   #3
Rookie

Check out jabbolabs dot com (I can't post websites due to minimal posts). Good competition and mostly SIM. Leagues advance every 48 hours. 2 leagues were just rebooted a couple weeks ago and are just over halfway through the first season. I've been enjoying it for the 2 years I've been participating.
Old 02-14-2018, 04:20 PM   #4
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by blockdownkickout
Let’s open this up by saying that I’m a football junkie. Books. Film. Clinic talks. I love them. I soak them up. As a player I was looking at those books reading how to block outside zone. Watching how the run and shoot works. Reading “how to coach a pro style offense”. All kinds of football knowledge I know varyingly. I am a high school offensive coordinator who lives to coach football and madden infuriates me. Nothings worse than making your custom play book. Having your checks and audibles. Coming to your line checking the front and changing your play at the line to attack their defense. Then, because something screws up on madden or something completely unrealistic happens you lose yards, and eventually lose the game. On all pro, the game left to its own devices (meaning no one user Controlling players) the blocks will set up nicely most of the time. However, any true competitor doesn’t want to play a computer. He wants to play someone. He wants a chess match.
Is there a league out there where I can play with people that aren’t looking to play it like an arcade game? Is there a league where they don’t allow players to use the “show blitz” button that distorts the defense to be wildly out of position yet I can’t attack it because the madden video game doesn’t allow you to. I just want to play people like that. Is that possible?

This is the best I have seen. But they may be too much for a lot of people.

https://mobile.twitter.com/NEFL18

Look at their rules, especially the “In Game Conduct” section.

http://theneweraleague.proboards.com...icial-rulebook

An example:

The rules are VERY in depth. But as I said, this is the best Sim league I have seen. Many people won’t like it, but you seem to be the right type for them.

Last edited by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞; 02-14-2018 at 04:23 PM.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:22 AM   #5
MVP

TMJOHNS18's Arena

OVR: 10

Having a lot of rules doesn't make a league more 'sim' than another, although it helps to weed out certain players.

At this point in the cycle I'd say join a few leagues with openings and see how it goes. You might find one that works, or maybe get an idea of a the type of league you want to commit to. Users tend to drop in them but getting in before it ramps up for next release helps.

The most fun in leagues I've had centered around the core group of guys in them, which helped introduce me to other existing or newly forming leagues. Ultimately it was more enjoyable because I was playing with a group that messed well with my own play style. Having not played in a user cfm this year has been a bummer for sure.

So try some leagues out, see what you like. Dive in, give a few a shot, network, and hopefully you'll find a good fit or good compromise soon/by M19.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-16-2018, 07:07 PM   #6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
There will be for '19. I'll be recruiting for and running a league then. I do know of a league that is fair and fun while vaguely sim as is practical if you're interested.

FYI, I'd take exception to your characterization that show-blitz is not sim. Most NFL teams show a false shell until a certain point on the play-clock, and if they're out of shell at the snap, it's your responsibility to diagnose and exploit that.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Operation Sports mobile app

I wouldn’t have an issue with it if they fixed it.
Example.
Cover 2. Safeties have deep halves. If you push show Blitz, the safety on one side comes down to close to the line of scrimmage. That’s horrifically out of position, and should be a touchdown every time, but it’s not. The safety can usually make the play which would never happen in real life. Same thing with cover 4.

In addition to that the Corners roll up to the Wide Receivers, but they don’t press(push them, put hands on them). To play a WR that close you would have to immediately turn your hips and sprint down the field with him and any curl/sail/etc route would be easy money. However the Corners are able to play all of it which is why “show blitz” is something advanced players use often because there’s no negative.

Yes NFL/NCAA/NFHS teams will try to hide what coverage they are in, but it comes at a cost. Madden doesn’t apply a cost.

Old 02-16-2018, 07:08 PM   #7
Banned

Quote:
Example.
Cover 2. Safeties have deep halves. If you push show Blitz, the safety on one side comes down to close to the line of scrimmage. That’s horrifically out of position, and should be a touchdown every time, but it’s not. The safety can usually make the play which would never happen in real life. Same thing with cover 4.

In addition to that the Corners roll up to the Wide Receivers, but they don’t press(push them, put hands on them). To play a WR that close you would have to immediately turn your hips and sprint down the field with him and any curl/sail/etc route would be easy money. However the Corners are able to play all of it which is why “show blitz” is something advanced players use often because there’s no negative.

Yes NFL/NCAA/NFHS teams will try to hide what coverage they are in, but it comes at a cost. Madden doesn’t apply a cost.

So yes. The principle of show blitz is real. The game just botched it up.

Old 02-17-2018, 06:48 AM   #8
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

Quote:
Example.
I've seen this done in an NFL game. I've also seen it down in cover three where the middle linebacker came to the line and feined a blitz before bailing at full speed and taking a deep third (Julian Peterson used to do this on the 49ers).

Quote:

That is very true, especially against the CPU.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »