Home

Losing online 42-7, but I still “win” the game

This is a discussion on Losing online 42-7, but I still “win” the game within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-14-2018, 10:39 AM   #25
MVP

OVR: 1
Re: Losing online 42-7, but I still “win” the game

Brady has punted on 3rd down i believe?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-14-2018, 01:57 PM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ueauvan
Brady has punted on 3rd down i believe?

And Cunningham has punted in second down. More than once. But according to someone here, I should just “stop” and I’m just blatantly arguing to argue.

So I’ll “stop” I suppose. Far be it for me to say anything about a game’s flaws, and how it can be worked around to your advantage.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 05-14-2018, 03:14 PM   #27
MVP

Kaanyr Vhok's Arena

OVR: 14

Funny that a griefer wins with a rule used to prevent griefing. Reminds me of the BLM member who was trying to help someone who was being held down by the police and got charged for lynching. They cited a law that was meant to protect people in police custody from lynch mobs.
Old 05-14-2018, 05:42 PM   #28
MVP

I can tell these are some "legacy" gripes and they aren't comments coming from people who've played a significant number of online H2H games this season because what they are describing doesn't look at all like a competitive game of Madden between two decent players. The game is so well balanced this year (at 4-5 min quarters) that people mostly do punt on 4th and long. 4th and short (like 4 or less) and good players will probably go almost every time, but if it's 10+ you are getting punts from almost everyone, especially if you've shown them you have a blitz. The risk is just too great outside of obvious comeback situations.

People also take their FGs now. Play changes drastically as the field shrinks. By removing deep zones and adding them to the underneath coverage in a coherent way you can make passing very difficult as your opponent gets closer to the end zone, and if you can contain a scramble you can set up some very unfavorable situations for the offense. 4th down inside the 10 is a legitimately dicey proposition.

Shortening the games to 5 min quarters has made each possession invaluable, and in most circumstances you can't afford to give them back to your opponent by not scoring when you have the chance. You can also not afford to spot them free scores by giving them the ball deep in your own end.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:00 AM   #29
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollo1980
And Cunningham has punted in second down. More than once. But according to someone here, I should just “stop” and I’m just blatantly arguing to argue.

So I’ll “stop” I suppose. Far be it for me to say anything about a game’s flaws, and how it can be worked around to your advantage.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Your argument is like saying because Brady has thrown around 11% of his passes beyond 20 yards in his career that you should throw deep on 100% of every play you call.

Actually, what you're saying is about 5 orders of magnitude MORE RIDICULOUS.

Look at ONE punter's career, and divide the number of punts before 4th down that have ever occurred in the NFL by his number of career punts. I'll be generous and say it's happened 10 times. Hell. I'll be ABSURDLY generous and say it's happened 100 times.

If that RIDICULOUSLY INACCURATELY HIGH estimate is used, it means that the ball has been punted before 4th down enough times to equal 11% of Tom Tupa's career punt totals. One punter has punted an order of magnitude more than a RIDICULOUS overestimate of how many times TOTAL IN NFL HISTORY the ball has been punted on first down.

And you want to call that realistic?

How many punters have their been in the NFL? How many punts?

Even if I just add up the total punts of the top TEN punters in history, the number of punts before 4th down divided by the number of THEIR punts is 0.0077. That is FOUR ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE smaller than the percentage that the Eagles went for it on fourth down (the most aggressive team on 4th down in the NFL).

And that's TEN PUNTERS. Ten.

Let me explain what four orders of magnitude is. That is like comparing the height of a man to twice the height that an airplane flies at. And that's using only TEN punters.

How many punters have there been in the NFL? How many Punts have their been in NFL history?

And then, when we consider the reality that punting before 4th down has probably happened around 10 times ever, then you have to add another order of magnitude, and then when you consider that TEN PUNTERS is probably much, much, MUCH less than all the punters that have ever existed, you step FIRMLY AND UNQUESTIONABLY into the realm of THE ABSURD if you argue that punting before 4th down is realistic.

In order for one punt before 4th down to be realistic in Madden in terms of how often it's been done, you'd probably have to play for 500 million games. (haven't calculated that because I'm busy and have done enough pointless calculations today).

This is a completely absurd argument and I don't know why I'm wasting my time. You obviously do it to troll people in games, perhaps over your anger with EA, who knows. But if you REALLY, TRULY believe the absolute b.s. you are spewing about how realistic you are when you punt on first down all the time online, I mean, what more is there to say? Your own argument defeats you.
https://forums.operationsports.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2049813056

Last edited by your mom; 06-06-2006 at 6:06 PM.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:00 AM   #30
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
Your argument is like saying because Brady has thrown around 11% of his passes beyond 20 yards in his career that you should throw deep on 100% of every play you call.

Actually, what you're saying is about 5 orders of magnitude MORE RIDICULOUS.

Look at ONE punter's career, and divide the number of punts before 4th down that have ever occurred in the NFL by his number of career punts. I'll be generous and say it's happened 10 times. Hell. I'll be ABSURDLY generous and say it's happened 100 times.

If that RIDICULOUSLY INACCURATELY HIGH estimate is used, it means that the ball has been punted before 4th down enough times to equal 11% of Tom Tupa's career punt totals. One punter has punted an order of magnitude more than a RIDICULOUS overestimate of how many times TOTAL IN NFL HISTORY the ball has been punted on first down.

And you want to call that realistic?

How many punters have their been in the NFL? How many punts?

Even if I just add up the total punts of the top TEN punters in history, the number of punts before 4th down divided by the number of THEIR punts is 0.0077. That is FOUR ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE smaller than the percentage that the Eagles went for it on fourth down (the most aggressive team on 4th down in the NFL).

And that's TEN PUNTERS. Ten.

Let me explain what four orders of magnitude is. That is like comparing the height of a man to twice the height that an airplane flies at. And that's using only TEN punters.

How many punters have there been in the NFL? How many Punts have their been in NFL history?

And then, when we consider the reality that punting before 4th down has probably happened around 10 times ever, then you have to add another order of magnitude, and then when you consider that TEN PUNTERS is probably much, much, MUCH less than all the punters that have ever existed, you step FIRMLY AND UNQUESTIONABLY into the realm of THE ABSURD if you argue that punting before 4th down is realistic.

In order for one punt before 4th down to be realistic in Madden in terms of how often it's been done, you'd probably have to play for 500 million games. (haven't calculated that because I'm busy and have done enough pointless calculations today).

This is a completely absurd argument and I don't know why I'm wasting my time. You obviously do it to troll people in games, perhaps over your anger with EA, who knows. But if you REALLY, TRULY believe the absolute b.s. you are spewing about how realistic you are when you punt on first down all the time online, I mean, what more is there to say? Your own argument defeats you.
So, I guess I should play just like the NFL and run plays the same % they do.

Then I guess everyone will be happy.

BTW, loved the 100 yard passes with Tecmo Super Bowl. What fun that was for an arcade game. Which is basically what Madden is, and not simulation.

Here's an example of an actual football simulation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCcLPFk4yxs
Old 05-15-2018, 11:06 AM   #31
All Star

Gosens6's Arena

OVR: 26

I really don't understand what this argument is even about. One guy likes to play a certain way, fine, play that way.

One guy would quit immediately if he came across someone who played that way, fine, quit then.

You both seem so offended by the other, you're just going in circles. Everyone should play the game exactly how they want. If someone doesn't like it, well, that's why there's an option to quit.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2018, 11:09 AM   #32
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosens6
I really don't understand what this argument is even about. One guy likes to play a certain way, fine, play that way.

One guy would quit immediately if he came across someone who played that way, fine, quit then.

You both seem so offended by the other, you're just going in circles. Everyone should play the game exactly how they want. If someone doesn't like it, well, that's why there's an option to quit.
Exactly! I'll play the full game. Not quit. I'm not offended by anyone's take. They can play how they want. But please don't tell me how I SHOULD play.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »