Home

Madden NFL 19 Franchise Blog

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 19 Franchise Blog within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-17-2018, 12:06 AM   #353
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Madden NFL 19 Franchise Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmetcalfe
At this point, if they're going to keep the progression system they have now, they should just heavily weight assigned xp according to age, scheme fit, dev trait and sprinkle in xp for performance at a much reduced allowance
Quote:
Originally Posted by briz1046
Totally agreed
But at this point it's almost certainly fruitless to expect it to go , my belief is that the best strategy would be to try to mitigate it by introducing further methods of attaining XP such as the methods previously stated , and providing the user with the tools to weight the impact of each
IMO suggestions like these stand the best chance of being listened to by the Dev team.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 06-17-2018, 12:28 AM   #354
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
I know that with my playstyle and slider adjustments, even in all the past Maddens, I couldn't/didn't make any player artificially great by stat chasing. I hope however that this year, with all of the new gameplay stuff, that the days of Users just being to take any 75 OVR player and stick skill/AI manipulating him to greatness are finally over. A certain percentage will probably still be able to do it, but every year the percentage get lower and lower.
I think therein lies the problem. The progression "rate" works fairly well if you play as intended, but allows for gaming of the system. My fear is that if they combat the exploits, it could damage progression all around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmetcalfe
At this point, if they're going to keep the progression system they have now, they should just heavily weight assigned xp according to age, scheme fit, dev trait and sprinkle in xp for performance at a much reduced allowance
I think perhaps instead of performance/production the xp should be awarded based on snaps.

Guys don't get better because they produce, they get better due to reps. Scheme fit, age, dev trait etc should determine the xp per snap rate.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:39 AM   #355
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpycraig
O-Lineman will have an attribute for pass blocking against power moves and an attribute for pass blocking finesse moves.

Now if you have a guy who is great with power moves you can beat a lineman that may have low power move defense, but high finesse move blocking.

This is really cool.. Now you can gameplan which pass rusher you want to attack each lineman.. Am I the only one impressed?
I might be impressed if ratings actually mattered in this game. But I created an all-universe Reggie White but he did not play any better than the 78 rated DE on the team. Unless I simmed in which case, he was a monster.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-21-2018, 10:43 AM   #356
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
IMHO regression and progression should have absolutely NOTHING to do with stats and should instead be tied to HC ratings, OC/DC ratings (need those in the game), Position coach ratings (need those in the game), player DEV ratings, and practice/training, and maybe playing experience. Nothing else.

How many 2000 yard running backs come back and do it again? None of them. Because they don't magically get better because they had a great year. They have a great year because they (and their team) had already gotten better. That and a lot of things went their way.

Putting up stats doesn't make you better. Never has, never will.
This is one of the reasons I've advocated for a full coaching staff. The ratings of the position coaches help determine player progression.

But at least LongShot has improved < eye roll >
Old 06-21-2018, 11:10 AM   #357
MVP

OVR: 1

and iirc these pass/run block subskills have been in the game before and punters were as good at C as the probowl ones for example. wasnt that the era of a bunch of non oline positions playing on the line and doing as good a job?
Old 06-21-2018, 11:31 AM   #358
MVP

briz1046's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ueauvan
and iirc these pass/run block subskills have been in the game before and punters were as good at C as the probowl ones for example. wasnt that the era of a bunch of non oline positions playing on the line and doing as good a job?
I remember well those videos , with Peyton Manning etc on the O line , and yes they played ok as lineman , in the sense that they didn't get completely mashed every play as you would realistically expect , NOT as well as good lineman , that's an exaggeration

The reasons given , truthfully , at the time , were that the game just isnt/ wasn't designed to deal with such stupidity, it works based on dice- rolls and probabilities

In reality , on the average snap , the probability of any offensive lineman being destroyed is very low, and this is programmed into the game calculations, thus a low rated OL will get beaten more than a higher rated equivalent , but the formulae prevent ridiculous numbers of losses

Essentially any OL rated below a certain threshold thus would 'play' at a certain predetermined level , that satisfies the big picture, overall success rate

Its akin to asking a wine taster to grade wines using a scale if 0 - 10 , using the whole scale , then giving him a glass of water to grade and expecting a grade below zero

Edit: reading my answer made it sound like the system was working perfectly , which obviously was far from the case , but it wasn't as bad as those videos abusing it would have you believe

Last edited by briz1046; 06-21-2018 at 11:35 AM.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:29 PM   #359
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by briz1046
I remember well those videos , with Peyton Manning etc on the O line , and yes they played ok as lineman , in the sense that they didn't get completely mashed every play as you would realistically expect , NOT as well as good lineman , that's an exaggeration

The reasons given , truthfully , at the time , were that the game just isnt/ wasn't designed to deal with such stupidity, it works based on dice- rolls and probabilities

In reality , on the average snap , the probability of any offensive lineman being destroyed is very low, and this is programmed into the game calculations, thus a low rated OL will get beaten more than a higher rated equivalent , but the formulae prevent ridiculous numbers of losses

Essentially any OL rated below a certain threshold thus would 'play' at a certain predetermined level , that satisfies the big picture, overall success rate

Its akin to asking a wine taster to grade wines using a scale if 0 - 10 , using the whole scale , then giving him a glass of water to grade and expecting a grade below zero

Edit: reading my answer made it sound like the system was working perfectly , which obviously was far from the case , but it wasn't as bad as those videos abusing it would have you believe

You nailed it. I always hated those videos because even though I probably criticize Madden more than I praise it, I do know firsthand you can tell a difference between good and bad players at every position. The problem most of us who realize that have with the game is that those differences are not as big as we'd like. Tiered animations, which I believe Madden has added(right?) is one step towards that, but I think you brought up another way to make that issue disappear. There needs to be more animations where one player just dominates the other in a given interaction.

I'd love to see them make more animations that when you had a 200lb player that was not an OL go up against a good DT, they got flung around like you'd expect. Of course the animations are typically designed with logical depth charts and interactions in mind, but I do wish that they would animate more instances where there are clear winners and losers in a realistic fashion. Something like a DL pushing an OL back and back and sometimes he falls over himself, sometimes he get pushed into the QB or RB. Those types of plays would add to the game and make great players actually seem great as well as obviously showing bad players as bad.

― Plato

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »