Home

Buying or Not Buying?

This is a discussion on Buying or Not Buying? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-18-2018, 08:51 AM   #345
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Buying or Not Buying?

Interesting thoughts on 08.

The years 07-09 were the worst Madden years for me.

It's all about perspective and memory.lol

Edit- Before someone chimes in, yes, FM was better at that time.

Last edited by roadman; 07-18-2018 at 09:06 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-18-2018, 08:58 AM   #346
Banned

TheGr8Drake28's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaReal Milticket
I agree, I thought 18 might have been the best Madden I've ever played. I'm excited for all the new features in 19 & real player movement. I think its easy to say "im not buying" when its physically not possible to buy something at the moment lol.
Bang on! Exactly my thoughts. More than half of the people who said "I'm not buying" will cave eventually.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:01 AM   #347
MVP

Earl1963's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGr8Drake28
Bang on! Exactly my thoughts. More than half of the people who said "I'm not buying" will cave eventually.
I’m probably one of those people. But as of now no plans to buy, especially since I been playing the PS2 versions of late.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:04 AM   #348
MVP

Unlucky 13's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Interesting thoughts on 08.

The years 07-09 were the worst Madden years for me.

It's all about perspective and memory.lol

Edit- Before someone chimes in, yes, FM was better at that time.
I mostly agree. 07-08 were so bad on the field that they were unplayable. Doubly painful, given the expectations that I had built up for years in preperation for the move from the PS2 to the PS3, and how much better it was going to be. Relative to their era, those two are the worst versions of Madden ever. 09 was a step in the right direction, while still lousy. Then 10 started being when they were enjoyable again, and 12 was where it was actually to where I thought it should have been years before.

Last edited by Unlucky 13; 07-18-2018 at 10:06 AM.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:17 AM   #349
MVP

cusefan74's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGr8Drake28
Already pre-ordered.. Man there is a lot of people in here who have extremely high expectations for a video game. I thought 18 looked gorgeous, and played nice. I'm sure 19 will be as well. Looking forward to playing CFM (offline) with the new features they added. Schemes was really what caught my eye this year.
I can't speak for everyone but I can say this. I don't have high expectations for any game, but what I do have is a high expectation for things in the game to work.

For example replay challenges, sliders, penalties. How about a kicker that actually misses a field goal attempt? They have coach mode in the game but it's not a true coach mode. If they put it in the game it should work properly, that's what I expect.

Edit: I should add that none of these reasons are why I don't buy the game each year. I can overlook a lot of things and enjoy a game, it's a game and it's not gonna be perfect, I except that very easily. I just don't think it's worth $60 every year. I will say this though, I have been reading and watching some videos on 19 and I am a little curious about it. I might get it after a price drop, as long as I don't read or see really horrible things about it.

Last edited by cusefan74; 07-18-2018 at 10:28 AM.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:25 AM   #350
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlucky 13
I mostly agree. 07-08 were so bad on the field that they were unplayable. Doubly painful, given the expectations that I had built up for years in preperation for the move from the PS2 to the PS3, and how much better it was going to be. Relative to their era, those two are the worst versions of Madden ever. 09 was a step in the right direction, while still lousy. Then 10 started being when they were enjoyable again, and 12 was where it was actually to where I thought it should have been years before.
Charles Woodson singlehandedly broke M12 for me. The very last game I played I threw a pass to a drag route where the receiver had just crossed the left hash, and the ball went straight to Woodson while he was standing on the right numbers. I never played another down.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:00 AM   #351
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkubus
Charles Woodson singlehandedly broke M12 for me. The very last game I played I threw a pass to a drag route where the receiver had just crossed the left hash, and the ball went straight to Woodson while he was standing on the right numbers. I never played another down.
Lol. Yeah, had a similar experience the other night regarding M17. What I loved about M12 the most was the sliders. I was able to tune the game so that, while it was realistically difficult, it felt organic without even a hint of a scripted feel. I was hoping for updated sliders in M19. Still on the fence and will check out the videos and then decide.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-18-2018, 02:38 PM   #352
All Star

OVR: 8

Leaning towards not, but on the fence right now.

Last year was the first time since I started playing Madden as a kid in the 90's when I did not buy Madden new. My reasoning was I was tired of paying full price for a game which hadn't addressed the only mode I care about (CFM) in any meaningful way in years. Eventually I picked it up used and returned it like a week later. There just wasn't any depth to keep me coming back.

I'm on the fence this year. As a UGA fan the prospect of setting up a franchise around Nick Chubb, Sony Michel, or one of the other big draftees this year is very appealing. They also finally gave a nice new feature to CFM in custom draft classes which may keep at least the first few seasons of any franchise very appealing as you import a "real" draft class. I'm not sure if this is enough of an addition to warrant this as a day 1 purchase though. If you think about it, ironically the big custom draft addition they are providing actually reduces the sim aspect of CFM. If you create your own/import a 'real' draft class then the scouting component is pretty much useless. Maybe that's a good thing since the current scouting system is pretty dreadful, but it's an interesting side effect nonetheless.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »