Home

Madden NFL 19 Twitch Stream - Graphics Playbook - MillsGamingTV (Archived)

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 19 Twitch Stream - Graphics Playbook - MillsGamingTV (Archived) within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-01-2018, 02:27 AM   #49
MVP

UtahUtes32's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Madden NFL 19 Twitch Stream - Graphics Playbook - MillsGamingTV (Archived)

I'd be fine if they put a bunch of generic tattoos in the game to use. Pay any cheap artist to design them and put them in...
Old 07-01-2018, 03:53 AM   #50
Rookie

OVR: 0

I'd be fine with generic tatts as well, this being for real and created players. As far as the licensing issue goes we all seem to be in the dark. I remember a couple of years ago everyone said there were no tatts because of a NFL ruling, then all of a sudden Collin Kap was all over Madden tatted up. Just seems weird that EA is fine with tatts and possible lawsuits from NBA Live but not Madden.
Old 07-01-2018, 04:41 AM   #51
Banned

These tattoo artists don't get money when the players are on national television or in photographs, how are they weaseling their way into video game lawsuits?

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-01-2018, 09:07 AM   #52
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by raypace1
These tattoo artists don't get money when the players are on national television or in photographs, how are they weaseling their way into video game lawsuits?

This was a long long debate when Kap had his tats in the game at OS. He went out and received permission with a signed statement from his tattoo artist.

Tattoo artist are winning lawsuits because it's their art that they created and can't be copyrighted for other usage.

I think the lawsuits starts back from NBA Street, if my memory serves correctly.

And no, this doesn't stem from a NFL ruling. The NFLPA wrote an email to every NFL player stating that if they wanted their personal tatts in the game, they would need to track down the tattoo artist and receive their written permission and sign off on it. I'm sure some NFL players don't feel it's worth the time or effort to track down their artist and sign off on it, I don't know.

I would take generic tatts as well, but it's not high on my priority list, but I understand and realize some people put it up on a higher priority than I would.

Last edited by roadman; 07-01-2018 at 10:54 AM.
Old 07-01-2018, 11:54 PM   #53
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
This was a long long debate when Kap had his tats in the game at OS. He went out and received permission with a signed statement from his tattoo artist.

Tattoo artist are winning lawsuits because it's their art that they created and can't be copyrighted for other usage.

I think the lawsuits starts back from NBA Street, if my memory serves correctly.

And no, this doesn't stem from a NFL ruling. The NFLPA wrote an email to every NFL player stating that if they wanted their personal tatts in the game, they would need to track down the tattoo artist and receive their written permission and sign off on it. I'm sure some NFL players don't feel it's worth the time or effort to track down their artist and sign off on it, I don't know.

I would take generic tatts as well, but it's not high on my priority list, but I understand and realize some people put it up on a higher priority than I would.

I just don't understand why fox,espn,BBC, and nfl network can broadcast without concern for lawsuits ..

Old 07-02-2018, 01:34 AM   #54
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
I just don't understand why fox,espn,BBC, and nfl network can broadcast without concern for lawsuits ..

Actually, Mike Tyson's tattoo artist came after The Hangover 2 and it was settled out of court.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/darrenh.../#676b87454edb

Another article, Ricky Williams was sued by a tattoo artist.

https://www.legalzoom.com/articles/b...ht-law-tattoos

As far as your question, depends on if the tattoo artist is proactive regarding copyright infringement.

Maybe all the networks sign off on paperwork as well between the respective unions. I'm not sure if they are protected under IP.

Aholbert would be better to answer your question, he is a lawyer for one of the networks, if my memory serves me right.
Old 07-02-2018, 02:19 AM   #55
All Star

SmashMan's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:

I think (and to be clear, I have no firsthand knowledge of this, just basing it off of reading things over the years) one of the key aspects is digitally recreating the artwork, even if it's just for a virtual representation of the player. Take a million photos of a guy, no problem. An artist for EA/2K/whoever recreating that tattoo themselves? That's where a problem could pop up.

I'd also bet most tattoo artists wouldn't care, but obviously players are required to get their artists to sign off just to avoid any potential lawsuits.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-02-2018, 12:02 PM   #56
Rookie

The Gunslinger's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:

TV and photographers can usually employ the fair use defense since their coverage constitutes newsworthiness for the public interest. Similar to the Joe Montana poster case in the early 90s...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »