Home

CFM house rules: Post yours here!

This is a discussion on CFM house rules: Post yours here! within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-12-2018, 05:01 AM   #9
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: CFM house rules: Post yours here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
That seems unnecessary since the CPU teams get free reign to grab whoever they want before you can even look at the list.
Fair point. Although, it does force me to use up a handful of preseason roster spots on subpar players with little to no chance of making the final roster or even the practice squad. Some "camp bodies", if you will.
MLS: San Jose Earthquakes
EPL: Brentford FC

RIP San Francisco Deltas | 2017 NASL Champions
Old 08-12-2018, 11:01 AM   #10
2022 Clark Cup Champions!

Instant C1a55ic's Arena

OVR: 20

One for me is to only scout, trade for, draft and sign to FA deals are players that match my scheme.
MLB - Toronto Blue Jays 56-45
NHL - Colorado Avalanche 2022 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS
United States Hockey League - Sioux City Musketeers
2022 Clark Cup Champions
Old 08-12-2018, 12:19 PM   #11
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Instant C1a55ic
One for me is to only scout, trade for, draft and sign to FA deals are players that match my scheme.
I'm doing this too, actually. I figured it's kind of a necessity, it adds some challenge. My house rules are:

#1) Can only sign one FA player a week in preseason. This gives me a chance to grab talent, but also not get ALL the talent before the CPU even has a chance.

#2) Can only fill one "hole" via FA in preseason. I signed a TE to fill a void, so I cannot now go sign a RT, and FB, and SS etc. I CAN sign for depth, but not a bunch of starters. This makes me work through the season. Offseason FA is free reign to fill holes.

#3) Only sign scheme fit players. This can prevent me from getting the best rated guys, because they don't "fit" my team.

#4) No signing FA players just to trade them (just decided this). If I sign them in the offseason, I can use them to trade in season. I can't, however, sign a guy then immediately put him into a manual trade or on the trade block.

#5) FA signings cannot play for 3 weeks (I think the game does this a BIT on its own with their confidence being low, since they don't know the playbook)

#6) Can only put players in their final contract year on the trade block. All other trades must be done manually.

#7) Focus training, in general, is to be used on lower round draft picks/bench players. I can assign it to starters a few times a season. Otherwise, it should be a rotation among bench guys, maybe with a focus on one or two as well if I want them to mature into starters. This seems to help mitigate regression, although minimally.

Major Boise State fan
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2018, 01:47 PM   #12
Hall Of Fame

Brandwin's Arena

OVR: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedGreen710
I

Second, progression must be set to auto. The CPU does not progress their players to match their schemes so they miss out on the xp bonuses. If I make my players fit the scheme it gives me an unfair xp bonus.

No trading with another team unless they benefit equally. I dont allow myself to make one sided trades. Both teams must benefit from the move. And I barely do any trading to make my team better because it's unfair, the CPU hardly ever trades anyone.

Sent from my HTC Desire 625 using Tapatalk
I use those as well as these from Armor & Swords

Quote:
4) Contracts during in season resign period and off-season free agency :

Contracts must never be more than 4 yrs unless player requests more. If you want to negotiate a shorter term deal, by all means please do so.

You must let one player rated 80 or higher test free agency

Bonus parameters:

All contracts longer than 2 years (3 years or more)
All Contracts 2MM total or higher

Must receive a bonus at 30% of the contract amount so for example you have a WR who signs for 60MM over 4 years his bonus should be 18MM of that 60MM total. So his salary total will be 42MM. If you want to give him more bonus than 30%...by all means do so. Up to you.

QB Contracts are a different animal:

Minimum contract amounts for QB's (even if they want much less) in free agency:

4MM for QB rated below 70

8MM For QB rated 70-79

14MM for QB rated 80-89

17MM for QB rated 90+

When signing your own QB's these rules apply to your 1st and 2nd stringers only.

Also a small caveat. Your starting QB must be paid a minimum of 14MM regardless of rating once his contract comes up for extension. So let's say you have Big Ben retire on you and now your want Landry Jones to step in...and his contract is up. Well...if he is going to be your starter...he must get starters money. It makes you really think about QB's and their worth to you.

5) Trading - So we all know we can fleece the CPU.....don't do it. If you want a realistic franchise don't blatantly fleece them. Sometimes you can get a good deal that ends up looking one sided. But don't go and trade a 1st and 3rd and some 75 rated RB for Aaron Rodgers. You know that just would never happen. Here are some guidelines for trading:

If trading for a CB you must send back a CB of no lesser value than +/- 10 rating points plus a 2nd round pick. Or you must send at least a 1st and 3rd rounder for any CB rated above 85.

Any blockbuster trade must include a 1st this year a 1st next year, and either a 2nd this year or a really solid young 3rd year or higher player rated 80 or above at either RT, LT, DT, DE, CB, WR, HB.

If your going to trade for a starting QB rated 85 or higher you really should be giving up the moon for them. 1st, 2nd this year, 1st next year, plus a very serviceable young player rated 80 or higher at the positions I mentioned above.

Also one trade is allowed per season. No trading of or for any rookies or players in the first year of a new control
Old 08-12-2018, 02:50 PM   #13
Rookie

One that I do is while I am drafting when I select a player I close my eyes/do not look at his player card with his overall. NFL GMs don’t know exactly how good their pick is the moment they make the pick, so why should I?

This adds a lot of doubt to the draft. For example, if you really badly need a new LB and you have 2 prospects - one in the 2nd round and one in the 3rd. Let’s say you draft the one in the 2nd. If you look at the OVR/attributes and you know that he’s great, then you know your set. Or if he winds up to be a bust then you know that you need the grab the one in the 3rd round. But if you don’t look, you won’t know if he’s a gem or a bust, so now you’ll have to make a tough decision on what to do in the third round with that other LB.

I also update the contracts in CFM on my team at the beginning. EA doesn’t handle guaranteed money correctly. In the game the signing bonus is the only guaranteed money, but in the real NFL the signing bonus is often only a portion of the guaranteed money. EA doesn’t realize/incorporate this and instead of having their signing bonus mirror the full guaranteed money in a contract, they have it mirror the actual signing bonus. That means it’s often way cheaper to cut a player in Madden than it is in the real NFL. I adjust all my players contracts so that their signing bonus is equal to ALL of the guaranteed money in their contract. This makes roster management much more realistic and also much more difficult.

I also do a lot of what many others have suggested here. Trading only using the trade block, limiting my offers to fair compensation, no stealing all the talent from the FA pool (though I allow myself some). I also try to sign realistic contracts, no cheap 7 year deals for low rated but promising 21 year olds.

On the field I’m really just looking for a challenge with realistic stats. So I utilize sliders, I play on the fastest gameplay speed setting to reduce how much time I have to react, I play no switch on defense, I don’t control receivers until after the catch. When it comes to playcalling I limit myself to only having control of whether I run or pass, meaning the only decision I can make is to pick from the first passing play in the “strategy” plays or the first running play. I can’t choose any plays other than the first pass or the first run in the list. No audibles, no hot routes, I just run the play that is called.

Last edited by Jimbo12308; 08-12-2018 at 02:55 PM.
Old 08-12-2018, 04:07 PM   #14
Hall Of Fame

Brandwin's Arena

Another one I do is when simming training and picking my 3 players focused on - they have to be in league 3 years or less and rated under 80 unless a rookie.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:53 AM   #15
2022 Clark Cup Champions!

Instant C1a55ic's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandwin
Another one I do is when simming training and picking my 3 players focused on - they have to be in league 3 years or less and rated under 80 unless a rookie.

I set my training to auto from the menu. I'd rather the CPU do it, and pretend like I am letting my coaches do it. Gotta delegate!

I must say sticking to my scheme is making things difficult. I struggle, big time in the passing game. Demaryius Thomas and Sanders have slowed down quite a bit, and I dont have that burner to go deep. I find myself dinking and dunking with underneath routes and slants when the show blitz. Got super frustrated last night when Keenum missed DT on a slant 2 times in a row. Gotta love the challange.
MLB - Toronto Blue Jays 56-45
NHL - Colorado Avalanche 2022 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS
United States Hockey League - Sioux City Musketeers
2022 Clark Cup Champions
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2018, 05:16 PM   #16
Hall Of Fame

Brandwin's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Instant C1a55ic
I set my training to auto from the menu. I'd rather the CPU do it, and pretend like I am letting my coaches do it. Gotta delegate!

I must say sticking to my scheme is making things difficult. I struggle, big time in the passing game. Demaryius Thomas and Sanders have slowed down quite a bit, and I dont have that burner to go deep. I find myself dinking and dunking with underneath routes and slants when the show blitz. Got super frustrated last night when Keenum missed DT on a slant 2 times in a row. Gotta love the challange.
I sim it, but I want to look at it and set the three players. Going to go rookies or players who don't start and 3 years or less in league.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »