Home

How to train yourself to stay in pocket and step up

This is a discussion on How to train yourself to stay in pocket and step up within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-19-2018, 12:54 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: How to train yourself to stay in pocket and step up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustADashOfDak
I'll be honest, I play QB like Johnny Football played at A&M. High risk/high reward, lots of TDs, lots of picks, and I have a habit of rolling out to the right. My offense usually attacks the middle of the field (lots of crossing routes, slants, and posts) and the sidelines. This usually gels well with my style.

This year, the pass rushing lanes seem a bit more realistic. I've been sacked a number of times because of my habit of dropping back and drifting to the right instead of stepping up.

Any advice on how to break this habit? I've been trying to be conscious about it but I'll slip up at least a couple times a game.
Once I got sick and tired of eating sacks on plays that were sure to be big gains/TDs I learned my lesson. I still screw up from time to time though. Old habits die hard.

Playing MUT this year has helped in this regard. My MUT team has lower ratings than most decent regular roster squads so I don't have the THP at QB to add an extra 10+ yards to every throw by dropping too far back.

Last edited by stinkubus; 08-19-2018 at 12:58 PM.
Old 08-19-2018, 02:37 PM   #18
MVP

boxboy99's Arena

OVR: 23

I usually have 2 reads based on the defensive formation pre snap. 1) deep route. 2) check down. Look at the safeties first and where they go after the snap. This will give you a great idea of the coverage and if your primary route will be open. If it isn’t open, check pressure and determine if you have time to look for a secondary route, otherwise hit check down /throw away/ scramble.

What I do if I’m taking too many sack is count to 3. At 3 the ball needs to be out or thrown away. Eventually you’ll get the mental timing down.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
2017: 93-69 - Swept by Red Sox in World Series
2018: 100-62 - Swept by Dodgers in NLCS
2019: 14-11
Old 08-19-2018, 03:42 PM   #19
AWFL Commish

Aestis's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4VERTS
I suggest playing a game or two and just dropping back in the pocket and climbing back into it with no real attempt to throw, just feel how long you have in the pocket in general. I think people perceive pressure that isn't there a lot of time and their "internal clock" isn't quite calibrated. You will actually start finding that after you complete your drop pushing the stick up and resetting in the pocket actually gives you a good amount of time compared to everyone naturally reaction to drift back to avoid pressure.

This point ^^

I worked a lot with a guy in our league to break his habit of dropping further & further back. It's an "old Madden" habit. He was taking SO many sacks and throwing SO many INTs (because the ball was traveling so far thru the air) and every time, he was dropping back *into* the pass rushers.

I would say I re-trained myself last Madden. This year I feel pockets are even slightly more realistic. You need to retrain your instincts to step up, not back. As you do, you'll naturally glance at the pocket to see if you have room TO step up. Now that this is happening, getting interior push (as opposed to a binary win/loss) will become more important. In previous Maddens, who cared about interior DL push right? You could just avoid it by dropping back anyway. Now.. not so much.

Commissioner
After Work Football League
(Xbox Series S/X)
AWFL Discord
AWFL Daddyleagues
Old 08-19-2018, 06:08 PM   #20
Rookie

JustADashOfDak's Arena

Update: I've been getting better. I will very rarely slip into the habit but mostly stay in the pocket. Now my issue is that at times I don't drop back enough and will get sacked from interior linemen reaching around my o-linemen. Will keep on working on it though.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »