Home

How to train yourself to stay in pocket and step up

This is a discussion on How to train yourself to stay in pocket and step up within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-16-2018, 02:06 PM   #1
Rookie

JustADashOfDak's Arena

OVR: 0
How to train yourself to stay in pocket and step up

I'll be honest, I play QB like Johnny Football played at A&M. High risk/high reward, lots of TDs, lots of picks, and I have a habit of rolling out to the right. My offense usually attacks the middle of the field (lots of crossing routes, slants, and posts) and the sidelines. This usually gels well with my style.

This year, the pass rushing lanes seem a bit more realistic. I've been sacked a number of times because of my habit of dropping back and drifting to the right instead of stepping up.

Any advice on how to break this habit? I've been trying to be conscious about it but I'll slip up at least a couple times a game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2018, 02:19 PM   #2
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: How to train yourself to stay in pocket and step up

Skills trainer or practice mode. You had to step up in the past couple of Maddens now.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:47 PM   #3
Pro

Mbunn1993's Arena

OVR: 4

It happens naturally now, but I almost make looking at the pocket a separate read in my progressions. Lots of times people roll out its because you think you're getting pressured when your pocket is actually still clean. Make two quick reads, check the pocket, continue and hopefully you've got a receiver open to make that quick step up
Old 08-16-2018, 02:51 PM   #4
MVP

I suggest playing a game or two and just dropping back in the pocket and climbing back into it with no real attempt to throw, just feel how long you have in the pocket in general. I think people perceive pressure that isn't there a lot of time and their "internal clock" isn't quite calibrated. You will actually start finding that after you complete your drop pushing the stick up and resetting in the pocket actually gives you a good amount of time compared to everyone naturally reaction to drift back to avoid pressure.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:56 PM   #5
Banned

Practice

Just pick pass plays and focus on stepping up

Once that gets easy focus on looking at receivers and using your peripheral vision to judge pressure

Last edited by Phillyboi207; 08-16-2018 at 03:59 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2018, 03:04 PM   #6
Rookie

I make it a habit of looking at the line at the snap and seeing how the pocket develops to see where my step lanes will be.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 08-16-2018, 03:10 PM   #7
Rookie

JustADashOfDak's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
Skills trainer or practice mode. You had to step up in the past couple of Maddens now.
Nah it still worked pretty well in 17. Didn't play 18.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4VERTS
I suggest playing a game or two and just dropping back in the pocket and climbing back into it with no real attempt to throw, just feel how long you have in the pocket in general. I think people perceive pressure that isn't there a lot of time and their "internal clock" isn't quite calibrated. You will actually start finding that after you complete your drop pushing the stick up and resetting in the pocket actually gives you a good amount of time compared to everyone naturally reaction to drift back to avoid pressure.
Yeah, that sounds like what goes on with me. I feel the controller rumble so my instinct is to run. I've been watching replay after every sack to determine whether it's my fault or the oline's. Sometimes on sacks there's a completely clean pocket but I dropped back too far and start rolling out when i feel the pressure from the outside. Will keep working on it. Thanks, everyone.
Old 08-16-2018, 03:10 PM   #8
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

While they may teach QBs IRL to keep their eyes downfield, you can't do that in Madden. At least I've never been successful when I do that since there's no way to gauge the rush/pressure besides looking at the pocket.

I'd start gradually. Always identify your primary read pre-snap, then:
  1. Be a One-Read QB: Make your first read, then look at the pocket and step up if needed. Scramble if the opportunity is there.
  2. Be a Two-Read QB: After you've mastered that, use the same concept but make your first and second read before looking at the pocket.
  3. Be a Three-Plus Read QB: If you feel really comfortable, make three or four reads before checking the pocket.

The way I've handled things for years (I scrambled a ton up the middle in '18):

1. After finding the primary read pre-snap, eye the LBs (and safeties if they're in the box) when snapping the ball and ID any blitzes coming.

2. If they're dropping into coverage I give myself my first two reads before looking at the pocket again. This can backfire if your OL stinks or you're facing a great DL who can get pressure with a 4-man front. I will adjust accordingly game-by-game depending on how much pressure the CPU gets without blitzing.

3. If a blitz is coming I only make one read, sometimes none if the defender is coming in untouched, before looking at my checkdown and preparing to scramble.

I know my first read, second read, and check down before the snap. Then make zero, one, two, or three reads depending on the pressure coming from the defense.

The CPU also plays an enormous amount of zone, they have for years. Almost any time you see the LBs dropping back into zone (another reason why I watch them at the snap), you're almost guaranteed to 5+ yards if you scramble through the A or B gap.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »