Home

Sacked 15 Times

This is a discussion on Sacked 15 Times within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-17-2019, 03:11 PM   #41
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Sacked 15 Times

Developing down the Pass Protector path is the only way you'll get a jack of all trades pass blocker. Agile and power linemen mostly get boosts to finesse and power, respectively. Fitting the pass protector archetype doesn't automatically make one good or free of weaknesses, however.

Stock classes are super deep with OL prospects, and this does allow some creativity when drafting and developing. I've had considerable success snatching up late round power OL with decent RBK and good PBP and turning them into very good Ts bu developing them as pass protectors and taking the decent RBK as a nice bonus.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-17-2019, 04:32 PM   #42
MVP

Jagsfan24's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkubus
Developing down the Pass Protector path is the only way you'll get a jack of all trades pass blocker. Agile and power linemen mostly get boosts to finesse and power, respectively. Fitting the pass protector archetype doesn't automatically make one good or free of weaknesses, however.

Stock classes are super deep with OL prospects, and this does allow some creativity when drafting and developing. I've had considerable success snatching up late round power OL with decent RBK and good PBP and turning them into very good Ts bu developing them as pass protectors and taking the decent RBK as a nice bonus.
So you suggest that power Tackles are better to have than pass blocking tackles?
Old 01-17-2019, 05:04 PM   #43
MVP

Hard and fast rules really can't be given. The point was you can draft against scheme fit with the intent of converting archetypes when players have good ratings at key attributes. OL are amenable to this approach. Other positions, like pass rushers, are not.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:31 PM   #44
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkubus
Hard and fast rules really can't be given. The point was you can draft against scheme fit with the intent of converting archetypes when players have good ratings at key attributes. OL are amenable to this approach. Other positions, like pass rushers, are not.
Ok so this is good info. I can draft oline that are not within scheme and develop them into my scheme? Is that what you are saying? But at the same time do not try to do this with pass rushers?

So lets say I have Agile as my line. I believe that sets the LT as Pass Protector, but everyone else as Agility. Clearly I would like to have better pass protectors, but at the same time do not want to miss out on their development due to them not fitting scheme. What is your suggestion on reaching that goal? Good pass protectors, but still fitting scheme. Or should I just forget scheme?
Old 01-17-2019, 10:33 PM   #45
Rookie

Does anyone ever use a hard count? I never do because I have never seen anything happen other than my own line jump. I do notice the AI using it on me though and I am wondering if these ends are just getting a perfect jump every time because I never hard count them?

EDIT: Well that happened quickly. I started a game, 2nd play did a hard count and they jumped. I have never seen that happen on Pro or All Pro so never bothered using it on All Madden.

Last edited by Meddera; 01-17-2019 at 10:50 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-18-2019, 03:12 PM   #46
Pro

Two questions I haven't seen asked yet, so apologies if this was asked and answered...

What game mode (simulation, arcade, competitive) are you playing on, and what's your speed parity setting?

While you're answering that, some general stuff relevant to what you're dealing with:

You're probably aware that in the real world, the general talent level of offensive linemen hasn't kept pace with the defense, and with the game in general...it's been an ongoing trend for awhile now. EA modeled that by generally lowering average o line ratings relative to the defense. That's cool and all....but that also means the o-line starts getting hilariously outgunned in specific stats in simulation (the mode that puts the heaviest emphasis on ratings) as you go up the difficulty scale. Basically, the difficulty adds more weight to each point of stat disparity; a 2 point gap between PMV and PBW means more on AM than AP.

Also, Impact Block (the stat that basically determines how much of the initial blocking contact is ignored) is straight horked for defensive players. It has way more effect per point than it should, it's randomly way higher than it should be, and it's barely weighed (if at all) in a defender's OVR....so a bunch of low 80s defenders are running around with an inflated IBL that isn't driving up their OVR, letting them basically treat your linemen like they don't exist.

Obviously, that doesn't explain the guys standing around contemplating life's mysteries while their buddy gets destroyed....but it kind of does. It's pretty clear that linemen have a recognition cone the same way everybody else does, and I think the coded blocking scheme for the play restricts that cone further...the AI tells the player just to not look very far in one direction, because that's the other guy's responsibility. Well, the other guy is getting blown up so fast and so spectacularly that the defender is by him and out of the first guy's recognition cone before the AI even thinks to look for work....he's left literally believing nobody is trying to rush today.

The net result is that you kind of do have to have unrealistically highly rated linemen to deal with average-to-above average rushers.

I appreciate that you're trying to adapt to and overcome the problem as it is with what you have available, but the mountain's way taller than you thought it was.
Old 01-18-2019, 03:29 PM   #47
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tg88forHOF
Two questions I haven't seen asked yet, so apologies if this was asked and answered...

What game mode (simulation, arcade, competitive) are you playing on, and what's your speed parity setting?

While you're answering that, some general stuff relevant to what you're dealing with:

You're probably aware that in the real world, the general talent level of offensive linemen hasn't kept pace with the defense, and with the game in general...it's been an ongoing trend for awhile now. EA modeled that by generally lowering average o line ratings relative to the defense. That's cool and all....but that also means the o-line starts getting hilariously outgunned in specific stats in simulation (the mode that puts the heaviest emphasis on ratings) as you go up the difficulty scale. Basically, the difficulty adds more weight to each point of stat disparity; a 2 point gap between PMV and PBW means more on AM than AP.

Also, Impact Block (the stat that basically determines how much of the initial blocking contact is ignored) is straight horked for defensive players. It has way more effect per point than it should, it's randomly way higher than it should be, and it's barely weighed (if at all) in a defender's OVR....so a bunch of low 80s defenders are running around with an inflated IBL that isn't driving up their OVR, letting them basically treat your linemen like they don't exist.

Obviously, that doesn't explain the guys standing around contemplating life's mysteries while their buddy gets destroyed....but it kind of does. It's pretty clear that linemen have a recognition cone the same way everybody else does, and I think the coded blocking scheme for the play restricts that cone further...the AI tells the player just to not look very far in one direction, because that's the other guy's responsibility. Well, the other guy is getting blown up so fast and so spectacularly that the defender is by him and out of the first guy's recognition cone before the AI even thinks to look for work....he's left literally believing nobody is trying to rush today.

The net result is that you kind of do have to have unrealistically highly rated linemen to deal with average-to-above average rushers.

I appreciate that you're trying to adapt to and overcome the problem as it is with what you have available, but the mountain's way taller than you thought it was.
I am playing simulation mode, franchise, All Madden 60 speed parity. I was at 75 but lowered it recently.

Ok so this makes sense. I mean I can ignore the issues when a lineman just does not block or just misses an assignment. We can liken that to occasional blown assignments. They happen.

What I can't deal with is one of the better rated tackles in the league getting beaten like a drum basically every other play.

I mean I have mostly adapted. Last game I was sacked 4 times. 1 or 2 were auto instasacks from playaction. I can live with this. But to get here I had to make a trade for a good tackle. I have to call quick passes, I have to run for my life and throw the ball away multiple times a game. And I have to accept the fact that if I need 8-15 yards in any given situation, I'm looking at at least 50% odds of a sack.

But what I do have is the PC version of the game. And I have frosty. So if I can figure out what you are calling the problem, maybe I can MOD it's potency down to a tolerable level.

Last edited by Meddera; 01-18-2019 at 03:33 PM.
Old 01-18-2019, 04:05 PM   #48
Pro

Maybe try switching to competitive and see what happens. That should take some weight off the stat discrepancies while you continue to adjust.

So far as modding or configuring goes, the most impactful "solution" would just be a global IBL change of like -15 across all defensive players....there are a lot of stats playing into the issue, but that seems to be the largest single culprit. That's an unreasonably large edit to do on a per-player level, obviously.

Last question....have you changed penalty sliders from the defaults at all? I'm far from the expert on specific effects, but penalty sliders have some pretty profound impact on gameplay behavior beyond just changing penalty frequency.

I wish you luck in parsing that out, though....there's an awful lot of conflicting anecdotes out there on that topic.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »