Home

Uncertainty Surrounds Madden 20's Superstar X-Factors

This is a discussion on Uncertainty Surrounds Madden 20's Superstar X-Factors within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-13-2019, 07:44 PM   #129
MVP

UtahUtes32's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Uncertainty Surrounds Madden 20's Superstar X-Factors

I want to join in on the fight, just for arguments sake, but I can't decide which side to pick.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:03 PM   #130
Rookie

OVR: 0

This discussion should be proof that football is a very , very hard sport to simulate ...

Each side has great points

I think it all comes down to visual.

Let’s use the “double me” Zone ability for example.

The WR is one on one with the DB in a 50/50 catch situation ... when the animation kicks in , what triggered that outcome doesn’t matter, but how the animation plays out should. Warping, clipping etc is a no no. But if it looks smooth and clean I’m all for it.

In this scenario. What should be taken into account alSo is if the defender is playing man or zone.

In man coverage you’re not looking at the ball so an animation relative to that should play out.

It’s all about the visual to me. Football is a sport of many factors and outcomes. Trying to get it to appear as realistic as possible comes down to the animation playout.

If a players ratings are lowered because another is in the zone in order to give a higher chance of success im ok with. But if it looks unattractive then I’m disappointed.

But alSo they do say the zones don’t affect either ratings. So idk. It’s all speculation until tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 06-14-2019, 04:07 AM   #131
MVP

In the WR vs. DB example we were discussing earlier it occurred to me today that gimping the WR is probably a superior option to buffing the defender in an X-Factor scenario.

If we give the defender a buff how will that play out on screen? They will either get a speed boost or the radius around them which will trigger an animation gets larger. This means more suction and more warping.

If we make the receiver slower then the defender can close at their "normal" speed and still make the play.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-14-2019, 10:16 AM   #132
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkubus
In the WR vs. DB example we were discussing earlier it occurred to me today that gimping the WR is probably a superior option to buffing the defender in an X-Factor scenario.

If we give the defender a buff how will that play out on screen? They will either get a speed boost or the radius around them which will trigger an animation gets larger. This means more suction and more warping.

If we make the receiver slower then the defender can close at their "normal" speed and still make the play.
I think we should take a step back and stop thinking of it in terms of video games. First we need to find out what abilities makes a corner great in the nfl. Then we need to think about how these abilities set him apart from other players of his position. After that take what is physically happening in real life and put numbers and game physics to it. I think that will give you more organic looking football were you don't need artificial buffs or penalties to simulate something.

Let's say a corner really excels in those jump ball battles. What is it that makes him better in those situations? You could say let's add +4 to his jump. That would be probably make him better in those situations because he would be able to jump higher. In reality his jumping ability is the same no matter what. He doesn't some how jump higher on those instances. Maybe the real reason he is good in those situations is because he is very good at timing his jump and getting a hand on the ball. The ratings that affect those abilities would only be changed. There would be no need to change the wr ratings either as they would also jump just as high no matter who is covering them. The same for speed. No one is running slower because of who is covering them. There coverage abilities could lead to the reciever not being able to get to their full speed potential but physically there speed has not changed. Madden would then need a mechanic that allowed for the corner to "slow" the reciever when executed. During a single play a reciever could be being slowed down during a play but in an instant gets loose and accelerates to full speed. That's why a -2 on his speed for that play would we inaccurate. It would not allow him to reach his actual speed because the corner had "slowed" him.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:26 AM   #133
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

Essentially anything can be done, even with speed. Different playing surfaces may create a faster result in some players than others. 40-yard sprints are not an exact indicative measurable to game speed. A simple bump can change speed or concentration, and so on.

Other abilities such as route running can make a player appear faster or slower. Jerry Rice comes to mind.

So, any number of rating numbers could be adjusted, and as long as the animations are present, the visual representation should be pleasing and believable to the viewer.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:32 AM   #134
Banned

I like your example of jerry rice. Speed is a physical trait for him. Let's say he runs a good route. That route didn't physically make him run faster. That would be displeasing visually to see him moving faster. I can remember when the spin move was big in madden. There was an artificial speed boost with sliding. It was a very effective move but visually displeasing and didn't not represent a spin move in real life. That is what I see happening when you boost players speed.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:14 PM   #135
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16

My concern now after seeing some beta videos is the CPU will force plays against stars In The Zone to trigger plays for people playing, to produce the moments to show the feature off.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-14-2019, 09:09 PM   #136
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nza
My concern now after seeing some beta videos is the CPU will force plays against stars In The Zone to trigger plays for people playing, to produce the moments to show the feature off.
I don't think the CPU is forcing plays, they literally have no idea that these abilities exist and don't respect them.

― Plato

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »