Home

Confirmation that there will be no refs?

This is a discussion on Confirmation that there will be no refs? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-28-2019, 08:35 PM   #41
Lord of Suffering

Darth Aegis's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Confirmation that there will be no refs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnaidt1
If you adjust penalties with sliders they'll be called, so there still there. Under the hood EA has them dialed in different on default. I adjusted all these on PC under the hood and had a blast and had penalties all set to 50 (beside D holding). I feel bad for the console gamers that can't tweak the frequency of injuries & penalties.

What am I suppose to watch on your YouTube channel?

Playing:

Last edited by Darth Aegis; 06-28-2019 at 08:41 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-28-2019, 08:39 PM   #42
Lord of Suffering

Darth Aegis's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_GUN
If they are still in the penalty call cutscenes I’m fine with the removal....in long run, they should be put back in with newer/better reaction/interactions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In the beta, there still were there in the cut scenes. Doesn't damper my experience one bit, but they need to be back & throwing flags in the future.

Playing:
Old 06-28-2019, 08:48 PM   #43
MVP

Rayzaa's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennylc321
I guess that's how important it was to me... I didn't notice.

I want to be outraged over this but I just can't. I can make a list of 1,000 things that annoy me about this game but coin toss and refs are not on the list.

But I'll say this much. I don't want to hear Madden 24 go "and new and improved refs on the field" or anything like that.
Agree, they will show them on penalties and I don't need to watch a coin flip. You don't see that very often on Sundays either.
Old 06-28-2019, 09:01 PM   #44
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

I'm fine with seeing the refs on challenging calls. lolz
Old 06-28-2019, 09:02 PM   #45
All Star

schnaidt1's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaReal Milticket
If you adjust penalties with sliders they'll be called, so there still there. Under the hood EA has them dialed in different on default. I adjusted all these on PC under the hood and had a blast and had penalties all set to 50 (beside D holding). I feel bad for the console gamers that can't tweak the frequency of injuries & penalties.

What am I suppose to watch on your YouTube channel?
Oh i just have my YouTube channel as my signature.

Ya unfortunately console guys have to Jack them up, but it messes with gameplay too much .... And im sure console is like ....80% of the ppl who buy the game. So for us, penalties basically non existent.

https://www.youtube.com/user/schnaidt1

Games I'm playing: NBA 2k, Madden, MLB the Show, Division 2, Warzone

Please subscribe to my youtube channel for gaming content. https://youtu.be/PXU8cqLnq6w
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-28-2019, 09:10 PM   #46
Lord of Suffering

Darth Aegis's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnaidt1
Oh i just have my YouTube channel as my signature.

Ya unfortunately console guys have to Jack them up, but it messes with gameplay too much .... And im sure console is like ....80% of the ppl who buy the game. So for us, penalties basically non existent.

https://www.youtube.com/user/schnaidt1
Ah gotcha,

Yeah, I know how that goes all to well. PC has been a gamer saver in that area.

Playing:
Old 06-28-2019, 09:17 PM   #47
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Nothing in AAA game development happens on so whimsical and effortless a thought as “they felt like it.”

Hypothetical thought exercise, I obviously have no idea as to whether this is actually the case:

Suppose you’re the development director of Madden 20’s core gameplay team, so you get to decide what gameplay engineers work on everyday. Your high-level goal every year is to make the on-field gameplay as engaging, rewarding, and fresh as possible.

Suppose that your senior engineers tell you after researching the technical challenges of increasing the responsiveness of the controls - one of the immediately obvious and most dramatic gameplay improvements on display in the Madden 20 beta - that completing this story will require significant changes to shared legacy code which makes on-field actors move and animate (we know Madden is a large and old software product with lots of legacy code, so this isn’t too hard to imagine). Some of these required changes will impact referee movement to the point of breaking them in some very obvious way. The engineers can easily disable on-field referees entirely to complete the controls story and maintain the game hitting the visual quality targets, but getting officials working with this new system will require significantly more work.

You don’t have the budget in your development timeline to add a “fix the referee movement” story if you do move forward with the control responsiveness improvements. Not only are there other more important gameplay stories to complete such as X-Factor abilities, but the NFL mandates your August release window every year, and there’s no wiggle room. In addition, your team is already crunching; this is AAA game dev, so they’re working 12+ hour days and will do so for many weeks yet. Asking them to stay even later for new work not already scheduled isn’t an option. You must pick between “improve the controls and remove on-field officials” or “keep on-field officials and do not improve the controls.” If you cut the controls story for any reason, not only does the total game suffer because it lacks a new feature to differentiate it from last year’s game, but you personally don’t have that major feature delivery to point to in your annual review with your supervisor.

No one in their right mind in this position would say “keep the referees”.

Again, the above is hypothetical, but this is the sort of challenge a developer on a AAA sports title faces. You simply cannot do everything. You must pick your battles, and sometimes you must make sacrifices to move the game forward.
The problem is they SHOULD have the budget in their timeline to do it. This is one of the wealthiest companies in the industry.
https://forums.operationsports.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2049813056

Last edited by your mom; 06-06-2006 at 6:06 PM.
Old 06-28-2019, 09:24 PM   #48
Emerald Archer

Sphinx's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
The problem is they SHOULD have the budget in their timeline to do it. This is one of the wealthiest companies in the industry.
You really want them to prioritize better looking refs over other aspects of the game? Because that's what you're saying. By focusing on something that is a non-issue like this, you are removing resources from other areas.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »