Home

Pass Coverage is STILL so broken

This is a discussion on Pass Coverage is STILL so broken within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-25-2019, 12:48 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 0
Pass Coverage is STILL so broken

It’s baffling to me how EA says they “couldn’t get to pass coverage” this year when to me, it’s been one of the biggest issues in Madden for years. I mean just look at this stuff.

Receiver running in safeties deep half. Stands 10-20 yards deep and just chills.

Man coverage. Back gets turned after receiver makes his break. Has been an issue since 2014.

I don’t even know what’s happening here.

Receiver ran a stop/hitch route. Corner defended it well, then suddenly backed off. Notice how the ball has been thrown and he’s still backing up.

It blows my mind how coverages can still be so bad. Some people will say “Oh you can fix that with sliders.” Why should we have to go tweak sliders in order to keep basic stuff like this from happening? Safeties still play 20+ yards too deep, corners get stuck in their backpedal for way too long, linebackers let drags and slants go right by them without even touching them. I also captured a few clips where defenders were in perfect position to make a play on the ball but just stood there and let it go by them. There are SO many issues with this aspect of the game and it’s hard to imagine anything improving seeing as these are problems that started years ago.

But what’s curious to me, is that the CPU doesn’t have these issues on All-Madden. They play things almost perfectly. Which tells me that EA is certainly capable of fixing the problem, they’re just not doing it. Mind blowing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2019, 01:15 PM   #2
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: Pass Coverage is STILL so broken

Frustrating to see this. I gave up on playing anything but Cover 0 and Cover 1 the last few years because your safeties are useless and drop far too deep, taking themselves out of most plays. You're playing 7 or 8 on 11 most times you play Cover 3 or 4; might as well gamble with Cover 0 or 1.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Old 07-25-2019, 01:20 PM   #3
Rookie

Spitfirex007's Arena

OVR: 1

This **** is so frustrating. Football is a game of read and react. EA can't seem to grasp this.
Old 07-25-2019, 01:30 PM   #4
Nogueira connoisseur

Find_the_Door's Arena

OVR: 5

Don't play Cover 1 on this game - your corners will just get toasted for no reason as in they don't flip their hips at the right time and get passed by
Old 07-25-2019, 01:31 PM   #5
MVP

TheGentlemanGhost's Arena

This is a huge problem with Madden, not just with coverage but so many other things.

When Madden finally addresses an issue, they either put a band-aid on it or make a settle adjustment and you say “okay, this is a good start”, thinking we’ll see further adjustments made the following year...but nothing happens. They made enhancements about 3 years ago with coverage that were “a start” but they never followed up on it. It is so frustrating being a football (gaming) fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2019, 01:34 PM   #6
Rookie

engrishbwudd's Arena

The coverage in this game drops my enjoyment from an 8 to a 4. It's such a fundamental part of the game that just doesn't work. Why invest money into a good defense when everyone in the secondary plays like it's their first game? So disappointing considering how good a lot of the game actually is.
Old 07-25-2019, 01:34 PM   #7
Pro

JBucc's Arena

OVR: 8

This is why I got nervous when the response to concerns about coverage were met with "The pass rush will take care of it." A better pash rush is nice, but it's still only affecting 15ish% of plays, and on the other 85% the WRs are running free. You can't just ignore a broken part of the game because it's "not a ____ year."
Old 07-25-2019, 01:35 PM   #8
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

Seems Blue Zone logic is a single logic across the board. I haven't played my 10-hours yet, but the beta still had problems with blue zones; especially frustrating in pattern-matching coverages such as Cover 4 and Cover 3.

Basically you have to user a safety

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »