Home

Brutal Review by Chris Jarrad: "Save your money for anything else"

This is a discussion on Brutal Review by Chris Jarrad: "Save your money for anything else" within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2019, 08:06 AM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Brutal Review by Chris Jarrad: "Save your money for anything else"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchise99
ahh.the truth about madden, I just d/led the latest community roster on 19 compared it to the madden attributes or ratings they put out pre-release for 20 (besides mahomes nothing has changed) and watch inside training camp to adjust the depth charts...saved 65$
Except the community rosters don’t have updated contracts so if you play CFM as if year one (2018 season) is 2019 then every player in the league has an extra year on their deal, which alters free agency and draft needs. Meanwhile, if you sim past year one then players all progress and regress, which nullifies the ratings which are meant to be a snapshot of “right now”. Doesn’t work.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-31-2019, 08:10 AM   #26
MVP

El_Poopador's Arena

The tone of the review is where I have an issue. He obviously did not go in with an open mind at all, even if he makes a lot of valid points.

That being said, I'm enjoying M20 so far. I haven't played Madden (outside of a few games with the EA Access trials) in about four years, so I'm seeing much bigger changes than most, at least from a gameplay standpoint. The running game is a lot more fun with blockers actually opening holes properly, so I don't need to break every run to the outside. The passing game seems much improved even from the couple games of M19 I played, where defenders would still be able to warp into position or react far too quickly to swat what should be a completed pass. I'm actually having some fun playing the game, which I haven't been able to say for years.

Not that aren't plenty of issues or complaints. User pass rushes are still very inconsistent, with CPU QBs often being the beneficiaries of a brick wall offensive line. AI pass coverage for the human team still is lacking overall, with at least one receiver for the CPU getting wide open on every play. And the CPU QB will find that receiver 90% of the time. I've still seen some blatantly missed assignments on both sides of the ball, which ends what should be a good play or turns a bad play into a big gain. Penalties are still one of the worst parts of the game, with facemasks happening far too often and no other penalties being called at all.

Face of the Franchise seems like it will be fun, at least to start, but I'm turned off at the fact that cutscenes are unskippable. I would've hoped that EA had learned from 2K's mistakes with career modes. That will really diminish the replayability of the mode, at least for me.

Presentation is still pretty abysmal for the most part. I absolutely love the commentary; I feel like Madden's commentary is the best in sports gaming right now, as they focus on the game happening in front of them rather than littering the airwaves with repetitive back stories, and Brandon Gaudin has some excitement in his delivery.

Unfortunately, the commentary is where the presentation positives end. The lack of proper halftime and postgame shows is unacceptable in 2019. As dead as the horse already is, I can't help but think of NFL 2K5's halftime, postgame, and weekly wrap-up (in franchise) shows. That should be the standard for today, yet Madden doesn't have anything at all. Admittedly, even 2K's own basketball franchise isn't even close to that level of presentation either, but they do at least have some sort of halftime show.

The few highlights we get in Madden are also awful, as 99% of the time they don't even show the whole play. If it's a long run/pass, the clip more often than not starts well after the action happens, so we just see the player running into the end zone, with no idea how he got so far ahead.

This is more of a wish list item, but I kinda hate Madden's replay mode. I would love to see options for fixed camera angles, similar to how NBA Live is set up. After a great play, it would be nice to be able to go in and create a highlight from the broadcast camera angle, or the wire. This was something that was available in older Maddens, but was removed for some reason. What would be a great addition on top of those fixed angles would be a replay system like EA's own Skate franchise had, with the ability to set up custom follow, free-roam, or tripod cameras, and create a timeline to switch between them mid-play. Of course, that is again, purely a wishlist item.

I haven't played at all outside of Exhibition and the first game of FotF, so I can't speak to Franchise mode or MUT, or even online play. Overall, though, I think Madden is a pretty major improvement on the field, especially for someone like myself who hasn't really played since M15. The commentary keeps the game exciting as well, even if the other presentation elements are lacking.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:16 AM   #27
MVP

Earl1963's Arena

OVR: 11

I’m not surprised by some of the negative reviews. I’m not buying because from the vids I have watched the game looks stripped down butt naked. Madden 20 looks nothing like what I watch on Sundays.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:18 AM   #28
Banned

TheGr8Drake28's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl1963
I’m not surprised by some of the negative reviews. I’m not buying because from the vids I have watched the game looks stripped down butt naked. Madden 20 looks nothing like what I watch on Sundays.
Sorry for your loss. Judging on videos and not playing the game is always an LOL moment.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:28 AM   #29
MVP

Earl1963's Arena

OVR: 11
Brutal Review by Chris Jarrad: "Save your money for anything else"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGr8Drake28
Sorry for your loss. Judging on videos and not playing the game is always an LOL moment.

I wished I had done that with Madden 19 as well. This forum is the only forum that hype Madden every single year and I have been disappointed each and every time. But not this year buddy.

Madden keeps stripping details that I love with every installment, mainly in Franchise mode. This is a fast pace arcade game now, no NFL details what so ever.

Where the refs doe!?!?
Old 07-31-2019, 08:31 AM   #30
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjJunior
Everyone that buys Madden knows what they're getting and to the uninitiated, ignorance is bliss. It's always the best Madden and always the worse sports games when compared to sports games, we get it. Its gonna get better with patches and if you got a PC with mods. Also it's 1/2 price by November and it's a better product by the time they drop the price? I'm baffled as to why people buy it at launch still when they got the previous version and know the M.O. of the producers?
Why do people even care about the spending habits of people you don't know, that is what is baffling to me?

I'm buying for 35 bucks on Friday.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:36 AM   #31
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Guy obviously didn't even play the game to say some of the stuff he said. Lol never heard of him either.

But haters gonna hate!

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-31-2019, 08:39 AM   #32
Banned

CanOfCornCobb's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Why do people even care about the spending habits of people you don't know, that is what is baffling to me?

I'm buying for 35 bucks on Friday.
You seem to be baffled quite often

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Operation Sports mobile app
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »