Home

Pre-Snap DB Shading Adjustments in Man Coverage

This is a discussion on Pre-Snap DB Shading Adjustments in Man Coverage within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-31-2019, 11:59 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Pre-Snap DB Shading Adjustments in Man Coverage

Thanks for labbing this out and sharing, btw. This should be helpful since I'll probably be adding some cover 1 robber this year.
Old 08-01-2019, 12:29 AM   #10
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgevoice
Everything you pointed out regarding zone coverages is spot on, with regards to my experience. However, shading absolutely does effect man coverage and is very important. Even though the play sometimes defaults you to the proper alignment, when you manually adjust it works much better.

Here's an easy way to test this from the Cowboys playbook. Go to I formation and select bench, which has out routes to X and Z receiver. Play cover 1 press, and select outside + underneath leverage. While not foolproof, most of the time the DB will jam the receiver and break sharply out, while driving under the route on the cut. Play the opposite leverage and the out route is usually open. Hope this helps and works for you.
I knew about the inside / outside leverage when in man coverage, and that works as expected. I would hazard to guess that the reliability of it is based on the WR Release vs CB Press ratings.

That said, I just tried out the Underneath / Overtop adjustments when in man out myself and it works exactly as you describe. If I call Cover 2 Man / Cover 1 Hole with a press adjustment and make an Overtop call, the CBs bail out of the press.

It also works if you only press one side; ex. if I call Cover 1 Hole, only press the right CB, then call Overtop, that CB will bail out of the press at the snap.

This is awesome! I love it when I learn something new from this forum

Thanks so much!

Last edited by CM Hooe; 08-01-2019 at 12:51 AM.
Old 08-01-2019, 06:54 AM   #11
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr.
Have you tested any adjustments against slants/drags/crossers? I always try to shade inside on them, but the DB still gets beat every time. Would underneath help with that?

I never knew underneath/over did anything for man coverage but now I'm really interested to test it.
Yes, those routes were some of the mainstays of my testing. Again, while not foolproof and ratings need to be considered also, these adjustments do help. Keep in mind that there will be times when a man beater will beat leveraged man coverage.

I offer no tricks or quick fixes here, rather I'm simply pointing out a way to play press man coverages more effectively, while also being able to blitz without giving up a free streak route. Shading worked, though not quite as effectively, in Madden 19 as well. On 3rd and short or medium, I knew dang well a stick or a curl route was coming. Playing man under and using inside+under leverage gave me a fighting chance to stop these routes and get the offense off the field.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-01-2019, 07:00 AM   #12
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
I knew about the inside / outside leverage when in man coverage, and that works as expected. I would hazard to guess that the reliability of it is based on the WR Release vs CB Press ratings.

That said, I just tried out the Underneath / Overtop adjustments when in man out myself and it works exactly as you describe. If I call Cover 2 Man / Cover 1 Hole with a press adjustment and make an Overtop call, the CBs bail out of the press.

It also works if you only press one side; ex. if I call Cover 1 Hole, only press the right CB, then call Overtop, that CB will bail out of the press at the snap.

This is awesome! I love it when I learn something new from this forum

Thanks so much!
Thanks for the kind words. I feel a little behind in the "giving" department, since I've learned from folks like yourself far more than I've been able to help.

Ratings do matter. WR release rating is extremely impactful this year, especially on outside release fly routes If you have a poorly rated man corner going up against an elite receiver, it's going to be a struggle.

While I'm more a base Cover 3 and Tampa 2 guy, it's nice to know that when the situation calls for me to play zone or blitz, it is possible to be able to run those defenses with reasonable success.
Old 08-01-2019, 08:39 AM   #13
Rookie

GridironGreat's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgevoice
Just wanted to post some observations I've made regarding user DB shading when playing press man or sending a zero blitz. I put in about 6 hours testing this on All Pro default, while using the Dallas Cowboys. Basically, Amari Cooper was matched up against Byron Jones, while Michael Gallup had Chidobe Awuzie covering him. I've found that pressing and shading in Madden 20 to be quite effective, though certainly not foolproof, when used properly.

The general principles are very simple. If you have help over the top, with a robber defender helping over the middle, shade both outside and underneath. If you have 2 deep safeties with no rat in the hole, shade both inside and underneath. If you are running a zero blitz with no help over the top or inside, shade inside and over the top. Even when manually pressing your DB on a blitz, such as Over Storm Brave, as long as you play over the top, no press animation will take place.

While there are concepts that can certainly take advantage of man coverage, I've found that proper pre-snap shading can really enhance the ability to play press man when the situation calls for it. It's nice to see my DB actually drive on a stick or a curl route and knock the ball away. It is important that I point out that I've found shading has not helped when playing off-man and would advise staying away from those types of man defenses at this point, as has been repeatedly pointed out. I hope this is helpful.
The one thing I’m not entirely sure of, is that the game allows you to do more than one shading option, so “inside and underneath”, I’m not sure is possible. Wish EA would clarify this.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:25 AM   #14
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GridironGreat
The one thing I’m not entirely sure of, is that the game allows you to do more than one shading option, so “inside and underneath”, I’m not sure is possible. Wish EA would clarify this.
Trust me, I am no genius. I figured it out quite by mistake. Here's how you can test: Come out in a Nickel Man Under. The CPU will default you @ inside and under leverage to some degree, although when you manually make this adjustment it is more effective. First, change your leverage to outside. You will immediately see your slot corner move accordingly. Next, select over-the-top and your corner will only make slight contact, if any, and bail over-the-top. You can clarify this for yourself in this way. Peace. This is not how I suggest you actually play this coverage, this is only for use as an example.

Last edited by edgevoice; 08-01-2019 at 11:50 AM.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:33 AM   #15
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkubus
IDK too much about how it affects man since I'm a zone-only player but shading will alter the behavior of yellow zones as well. Shading inside/outside can also affect zone behavior, sometimes in unpredictable ways.

If you call Cover 3 Sky and shade down to get hard flats your hook curls will aggressively attack routes like drags and shallow ins. This year it leaves tons of space for deeper routes on any hi-lo over the middle.

I haven't thoroughly tested this in M20 yet, but in M19 you could get soft squats to carry verticals by shading outside in Cover 2.
Dang, I wish I knew that for Madden 19. In Madden 17, I played Cover 2 Sink frequently and corners matched to man when threatened vertically. In Madden 19, they would start the match concept and then inexplicably bail underneath... The workaround for me was that Tampa 2 played well.

Thanks for the tip. I am going to try Cover 2 Sink coverages, using your shading tip, and see how it goes.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-01-2019, 11:07 AM   #16
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

One of the problems in 19 was that there was so much animation wonkiness that the it lessened the effectiveness of the shading a lot. With the animations cleaned up for 20 you can actually see various adjustments working as intended.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »