Home

Is Madden 20 the best Madden ever ?

This is a discussion on Is Madden 20 the best Madden ever ? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-31-2019, 07:50 AM   #65
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29
Re: Is Madden 20 the best Madden ever ?

I'm assuming you're an offline player. Offline I actually enjoy the game and I'm starting to dive into CFM.

Online this is a terribly unbalanced noncompetitive random game

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-01-2020, 03:28 PM   #66
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
M20 is the first Madden I got through more than 2 full seasons in a single franchise (I made it 5 seasons and have now started 2 more - one of which is already in year 2). This is the most important measuring stick to me....

The current version of the game is playing better than any other patched version of the game on All Pro default with 10 min/no acc clock and MM Injuries at 40. (I'd still argue the OOTB un-patched version is a little bit better).

I've found the franchise mode to be fun and engaging - schemes and player archetypes have a huge impact in-game and you can really deep-dive into mixing and matching personnel - which I love. X-factors/Superstars have added an injection of challenge (which was sorely needed). Player development and draft classes are well-done when combined with the new ratings stretch.

I'm fully aware that the game has issues and that other versions of Madden (notably M16) may do some things a bit better. But total package, M20 is the best version of the game FOR ME.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Agree with this, Josh.

The user vs cpu experience is a good FOR ME.

Online and others, YMMV.

I love trying to think how I will approach Harrison Smith, Everson Griffin and that Viking defense while trying to defend Thielen on the other side of the ball. There are more strategic challenges in the user vs cpu experience utilizing xfactors.
Yes, this where I'm at. For me as a User vs CPU player, only fatigue and injuries were better in any other Madden. The CPU QB AI,running back AI, playcalling on both sides of the ball, even clock management, in the games I'm playing I've not seen them better than what they are now. The worst CPU AI decision making I'm seeing right now is them occasionally trying too many 60 plus yard FGs in the first half with the wind at their back.

The issues with H2H are obviously real, because I see them in videos, but to me it's like that is happening in another game. I have know idea what they are doing in terms of tuning for the individual play styles, but for how I play, Sim style is in a good place. I wouldn't have thought it would be possible to ever play on All-Madden with speed threshold at 75, CPU QB accuracy at 10 and all other gameplay sliders at default and have the game play where I don't perceive any other CPU boosts.

Maybe if I was a player who used or even knew any exploits in the game, I would think the game was terrible, but as a regular player, I think the game is great, the best even.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 01-01-2020, 04:43 PM   #67
MVP

Shosum13's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum
I'm assuming you're an offline player. Offline I actually enjoy the game and I'm starting to dive into CFM.

Online this is a terribly unbalanced noncompetitive random game
Offline it definitely can be a fun game.

But online vs another user this game is an absolute dumpster fire.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 01-01-2020, 08:30 PM   #68
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0
Is Madden 20 the best Madden ever ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
Yes, this where I'm at. For me as a User vs CPU player, only fatigue and injuries were better in any other Madden. The CPU QB AI,running back AI, playcalling on both sides of the ball, even clock management, in the games I'm playing I've not seen them better than what they are now. The worst CPU AI decision making I'm seeing right now is them occasionally trying too many 60 plus yard FGs in the first half with the wind at their back.

The issues with H2H are obviously real, because I see them in videos, but to me it's like that is happening in another game. I have know idea what they are doing in terms of tuning for the individual play styles, but for how I play, Sim style is in a good place. I wouldn't have thought it would be possible to ever play on All-Madden with speed threshold at 75, CPU QB accuracy at 10 and all other gameplay sliders at default and have the game play where I don't perceive any other CPU boosts.

Maybe if I was a player who used or even knew any exploits in the game, I would think the game was terrible, but as a regular player, I think the game is great, the best even.

No...gotta disagree. CPU QB AI on Madden 16 is much better.

I really like Madden 20. It does a lot right. What frustrates me is how we cannot get a complete package.....ever with Madden.

I have gotten that with other sports titles. But never with Madden.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23

Last edited by Armor and Sword; 01-01-2020 at 08:53 PM.
Old 01-02-2020, 08:43 AM   #69
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor and Sword
No...gotta disagree. CPU QB AI on Madden 16 is much better.
I agree and disagree with you.

If you run M20 on a default setup, the QB play is very comparable between M16 and M20 (with M20 being more challenging to the user defense). The only real downside on M20 is that Improviser Archetype QBs take some really ugly sacks on occasion because they won't take off - but IMO that is offset by improved accuracy and smarter ball placement and smarter play-calling (for ALL archetypes). On a default package, I'll take the M20 QB AI by a hair.

If you try to compensate for fatigue/injuries/penalties in M20 to meet the levels of M16 (or even worse, lower either QBA slider), then yes, you will make the QB AI significantly worse in M20. So in a non-default context, M16 would probably be a bit better.
Old 01-02-2020, 08:55 AM   #70
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
I agree and disagree with you.

If you run M20 on a default setup, the QB play is very comparable between M16 and M20 (with M20 being more challenging to the user defense). The only real downside on M20 is that Improviser Archetype QBs take some really ugly sacks on occasion because they won't take off - but IMO that is offset by improved accuracy and smarter ball placement and smarter play-calling (for ALL archetypes). On a default package, I'll take the M20 QB AI by a hair.

If you try to compensate for fatigue/injuries/penalties in M20 to meet the levels of M16 (or even worse, lower either QBA slider), then yes, you will make the QB AI significantly worse in M20. So in a non-default context, M16 would probably be a bit better.

For the record when I talk about CPU QB AI I am specifically talking about their behavior when they drop back to pass.

I do not include play calling. Which on Madden 20 is a lot better.

And that harkens to my point about we never ever get a complete game with Madden. It is two steps forward 3 steps back every cycle.

I really enjoy playing both 16 and 20.

16 is perfect for single season classic roster replays. I don’t have to worry about XP and bad player progression or the OP confidence system (I control all 32 teams in my classic season replays and create the classic coaches and am able to use generic playbooks), get very good CPU QB AI, penalties, and a working fatigue system which allows for auto subs to actually work since we cannot use formation subs like on Madden 20.

Madden 20 is my "go to” Madden title for Franchise mode and is the best “modern day roster" Madden to date. It is a very solid game now that they finished the patching cycle (ugh another frustration we all know).

I did recalibrate my gameplay sliders for Madden 16 (close to default now save for a few of my tweaks to pass coverage, tackling and fatigue, injures and auto subs).

Madden 20 you know I am close to default AP as well. I am glad I have a couple of options with Madden now.

And like you I fired up NCAA 14 yesterday and started a fresh 2019 updated roster Oregon Ducks dynasty. Still amazes me how great that game still plays and the depth of Dynasty mode. I am using Matt 10’s Heisman Sliders and your auto subs. Excellent sliders and a big challenge.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23

Last edited by Armor and Sword; 01-02-2020 at 08:57 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »