Home

Someone Please explain the logic of the low rated offense linemen

This is a discussion on Someone Please explain the logic of the low rated offense linemen within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-21-2019, 01:09 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 2
Someone Please explain the logic of the low rated offense linemen

I don't get it. Why are the ave offensive linemen overall ratings in the 50's and 60's. Most starters are 70 and some high 80's but the majority of the teams back up linemen are in the 50 to 60 overall range. . This makes no sense to me. Why such low ratings compared to all other positions...

How can you expect an 84 tackle to be replaced by a 62 backup. For example, I have a 86 rated tackle at 33 years old, his back up is a 25 year old overall rated 60 with 2 years experience... How many years is it going to take to even get him to a solid 70, let alone a 86.

I understand the range to separate the great and good players.. But from 80's to the 60's is quite a difference. This is why EA needs to allow us to have a global editor to set our own ratings like Sierra FB did many years ago.

If we had a global editor, every person could make the game play exactly the way they want it, adjust players, sliders and problems solved. I realize this editor could only be used for Offline and offline franchise.. We wouldn't have to wait for roster updates or start new franchises every time one came out.

On the other hand, why would we ever expect EA to make things simple or easy for the customer.. Nope, As long as we have to depend on them for everything.. They got us just where they want us.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-21-2019, 02:25 AM   #2
Lord of Suffering

Darth Aegis's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Someone Please explain the logic of the low rated offense linemen

One of the main reasons I switched over to PC last yr... global roster editing. There was no way I was going to sit around and wait for them to fix the game the way I wanted because that day would probably never arrive lol.

Playing:

Last edited by Darth Aegis; 10-21-2019 at 02:28 AM.
Old 10-21-2019, 02:59 AM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleveCluby
I don't get it. Why are the ave offensive linemen overall ratings in the 50's and 60's. Most starters are 70 and some high 80's but the majority of the teams back up linemen are in the 50 to 60 overall range. . This makes no sense to me. Why such low ratings compared to all other positions...

How can you expect an 84 tackle to be replaced by a 62 backup. For example, I have a 86 rated tackle at 33 years old, his back up is a 25 year old overall rated 60 with 2 years experience... How many years is it going to take to even get him to a solid 70, let alone a 86.

I understand the range to separate the great and good players.. But from 80's to the 60's is quite a difference. This is why EA needs to allow us to have a global editor to set our own ratings like Sierra FB did many years ago.

If we had a global editor, every person could make the game play exactly the way they want it, adjust players, sliders and problems solved. I realize this editor could only be used for Offline and offline franchise.. We wouldn't have to wait for roster updates or start new franchises every time one came out.

On the other hand, why would we ever expect EA to make things simple or easy for the customer.. Nope, As long as we have to depend on them for everything.. They got us just where they want us.
This is actually one of the good things in this year's Madden. You should read this: https://www.ea.com/games/madden-nfl/...ron-notes-6-28
Old 10-21-2019, 05:11 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0

honestly its pretty in line with the quality of play drop off we see in real life, there is definitely a lack of quality Olineman compared to other positions

it makes having and paying a solid swing tackle and interior lineman worth the money
Old 10-21-2019, 06:52 AM   #5
Pro

Thanks to all for the replies. I understand the reasoning behind the low ratings and the separation, But it seems to me they over did it with the offensive line. There is just to much of a gap between them in my opinion

Like I said, How long will it take to get a 60 overall rated player up to a 70 or seventy 75. The majority of the OL high rated players are around 30 years old. So when my 84 rated player retires in two years my 60 OL man might be up to 63.. or 64 if lucky. It just seems to me that there is just way to many low rated OL players.

And the players in the practice squad are worthless and just slay dormant, never increasing. And if you don't play your backups regularly they don't increase hardly at all.

I realize I could take the time to edit each one to my personal liking, EA lets us do that, So why not a global editor within the game to make it quick and simple, It would solve so many issues. I know it can be done because as someone said, You can do it on the PC version of the game and everyone loves that. I simply can't afford a really good PC just to play a game.

So let me ask this, not being a wizard about PC/s .. Is it possible to take a roster edited from a PC version of the game and apply it to the PS4. ?? And if someone has created a global editor for the PC.. Can't someone create one for the PS4..

Again, thanks to all for the response and advice.

Last edited by CleveCluby; 10-21-2019 at 06:54 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-21-2019, 07:28 AM   #6
Pro

The problem is they are trying to spread the ratings out (a much needed thing) but they are still trying very hard to appeal to the ultimate team player and more casual fan, so while the OL ratings are as they should be, positions like RB, where the casual fan could recognize the players, remain at the old levels.

It creates the optics of an imbalance.
Old 10-21-2019, 08:58 AM   #7
Pro

Cory Levy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleveCluby
Thanks to all for the replies. I understand the reasoning behind the low ratings and the separation, But it seems to me they over did it with the offensive line. There is just to much of a gap between them in my opinion

Like I said, How long will it take to get a 60 overall rated player up to a 70 or seventy 75. The majority of the OL high rated players are around 30 years old. So when my 84 rated player retires in two years my 60 OL man might be up to 63.. or 64 if lucky. It just seems to me that there is just way to many low rated OL players.
I think that's an accurate representation of real life NFL though. I don't know the statistics but I would actually think it's more realistic that a team wouldn't try to replace a starting Offensive Lineman with a back up that's been on the team for years. Unless they were drafted to be a starter in a year or two's time, which I think is represented by players in the draft that have high ratings than base back up players.

The way I see it if your starting G retired, I think most teams would be in the position that they'd need to draft or sign a new starting Guard in Free Agency. Back up O-Line players are back ups for a reason and I would think it's a rarity to see one that is a planned back up player sitting on the bench for years before being asked to be a starter (I'm sure it happens but I don't think it's the norm). That scenario only happens when they're drafted highly as a plan for an older player on the line (i.e. Andre Dillard being drafted as Jason Peters' replacement in Philly). Obviously if a player grows naturally and eventually becomes good enough to be a starter that's always a plus but O-Linemen seem like a pretty stark contrast between you're either good enough to be a starter or you're just a depth body (even then there's not enough good O-Linemen in the league for every team to have a good unit).

If you do want to see that happen I would suggest bumping up the XP Sliders for the position. You could also re-order your depth charts before doing Training Practices each week (IIRC depth chart placement affects how much XP each player gets with starters getting more than back ups). In the end yes, Madden does really make it difficult for back up players to progress on their own unless they see the field. Which is why the game is sorely missing something in the Offseason to progress young depth players - that's where those 60's rated players could increase 1-3 overall rating per year if they have the ability/potential to do so so when they do see the field they're high 60s/low 70s and then their on field performance starts developing them.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:08 AM   #8
Rookie

The real life drop off from a starter quality Olineman to a backup is steep, steep to the point that it becomes very apparant when you have a backup who can be developed into being a fringe starter/swing tackle/ or someone who is absolutely not ready to start on an NFL line. Most backups fall into the latter category. They didn't overdo it with the ratings gap, backup linemen in the NFL tend to be quite bad, especially in comparisons to the cemented starting caliber linemen.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »