Home

Should we be ok with broken man coverage going into next Gen???

This is a discussion on Should we be ok with broken man coverage going into next Gen??? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-13-2020, 08:12 PM   #17
Tiger Paw

tyberious4now's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Should we be ok with broken man coverage going into next Gen???

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpycraig
Anyone who watched the Titans vs Pats game has to believe man coverage is underpowered in Madden. Pats receivers couldn't get open and get separation vs man!
Honestly I don't know if a Video game could duplicate that tho....
Old 01-13-2020, 08:43 PM   #18
MVP

simbayless's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyberious4now

How about they duplicate AP 2K8??
I remember I use to shutdown trash WR with Rod woods on and I think he was only a silver CB at that.The madden defenders need to stop acting like certain gameplay stuff can't be done when all -pro football is hanging over their heads.All pro was far from perfect but I am thankful for the effort they made and we as consumers can always use this argument when the defenders come out and say they can't replicate this or that but our comeback proof can say all pro did it tho.
Old 01-14-2020, 08:22 AM   #19
MVP

OVR: 15

The only thing wrong with man coverage to me is the way wins and losses looks. Just like with innacurate throws, the way wins and losses looks on the field is a bit to visually disparate.

What I mean is that "losing" in man coverage should more rarely look like it does in madden. In madden when a db loses on a route, 7 times out of 10 he will be 5 yards away from the reciever after their cut. You wil see the DB outright go in the wrong direction 3-4 steps, etc. In reality, unless it's a double move, very few WRs will beat man coverage with as much seperation as we see in the game. At the same time, when a db WINS on a route he basically shows that he knows exactly what the route is and undercuts it incredibly effectively and with minimal interference from the wr. Neither of these should be as common as they are in the game. They just need to shave down the outer ranges of these outcomes so that getting beat doesn't feel like the game is cheating you.

Football is a game of inches, on press man coverage, we should rarely see 5-6 yards of separation unless you're putting a slot WR up against a linebacker. I don't mind players getting crossed up on double moves, or reacting slowly on out routes, or allowing wrs to get across their face. But it shouldn't look like the ai turned off your 94 ovr cornerback just to allow this crossing route or out route to work.
Old 01-14-2020, 09:05 AM   #20
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyberious4now
And even if they did....people would be crying about "Robo QB" as the CPU would be checking-down to TEs on every pass play. Completion percentages would skyrocket for the CPU. Then people would make the mistake of lowering the QBA slider, which would just make them even more passive and make it worse.
Old 01-14-2020, 11:29 AM   #21
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
And even if they did....people would be crying about "Robo QB" as the CPU would be checking-down to TEs on every pass play. Completion percentages would skyrocket for the CPU. Then people would make the mistake of lowering the QBA slider, which would just make them even more passive and make it worse.
Clearly the next step would be to adjust QB AI and pass rush. Really, the three, along with WRs, shouldn't be adjusted separately in the first place, IMHO. But then there are practical limitations in making a video game.

But perhaps the game is shackled by the engine? Perhaps the next gen allows some room to redesign it a bit? Although I'm sure the next gen will just be a port.
https://forums.operationsports.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2049813056

Last edited by your mom; 06-06-2006 at 6:06 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-14-2020, 06:25 PM   #22
MVP

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
Clearly the next step would be to adjust QB AI and pass rush. Really, the three, along with WRs, shouldn't be adjusted separately in the first place, IMHO. But then there are practical limitations in making a video game.

But perhaps the game is shackled by the engine? Perhaps the next gen allows some room to redesign it a bit? Although I'm sure the next gen will just be a port.
Overheard this said some years ago at EA Play by a Dev, it’s not the tech as the current tech can/would allow them to do some crazy stuff if given the green light.

Dev: It boils down to the direction & priority of the decision makers.

Gamer: you guys should just prioritize making Madden “authentic”.

Dev: 1st priority us game developers today is to be/stay “employed”.
Old 01-14-2020, 09:36 PM   #23
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaliib
Overheard this said some years ago at EA Play by a Dev, it’s not the tech as the current tech can/would allow them to do some crazy stuff if given the green light.

Dev: It boils down to the direction & priority of the decision makers.

Gamer: you guys should just prioritize making Madden “authentic”.

Dev: 1st priority us game developers today is to be/stay “employed”.
That's about it in a nutshell.
Old 01-15-2020, 01:33 AM   #24
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by feeq14
The only thing wrong with man coverage to me is the way wins and losses looks. Just like with innacurate throws, the way wins and losses looks on the field is a bit to visually disparate.

What I mean is that "losing" in man coverage should more rarely look like it does in madden. In madden when a db loses on a route, 7 times out of 10 he will be 5 yards away from the reciever after their cut. You wil see the DB outright go in the wrong direction 3-4 steps, etc. In reality, unless it's a double move, very few WRs will beat man coverage with as much seperation as we see in the game. At the same time, when a db WINS on a route he basically shows that he knows exactly what the route is and undercuts it incredibly effectively and with minimal interference from the wr. Neither of these should be as common as they are in the game. They just need to shave down the outer ranges of these outcomes so that getting beat doesn't feel like the game is cheating you.

Football is a game of inches, on press man coverage, we should rarely see 5-6 yards of separation unless you're putting a slot WR up against a linebacker. I don't mind players getting crossed up on double moves, or reacting slowly on out routes, or allowing wrs to get across their face. But it shouldn't look like the ai turned off your 94 ovr cornerback just to allow this crossing route or out route to work.

This says everything absolutely perfectly. Basically you either get a corner who is practically running the receivers route before he does or you get a corner getting torched by 5 yards. There isn't a nice middle.

I played another game earlier tonight online where I threw 26 of 28 (before the guy quit) because he kept playing man and my receivers were just wide open. One of the plays that stood out was inside the 10, he was in a man zero, I was in max protect and motioned Ertz out to run a slant and the CB that ended up covering him took 5 steps AWAY from him before even trying to cover. By then, it was an easy TD.

It is way worse after this most recent patch. Coverage is bad, the pursuit angles are bad. I've played more high scoring (60+ total point) games post-patch than I had ever before this.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »