Home

Josh Looman Leaving Madden Team, After 17 Years - Creator of Franchise Mode, MUT, NFL Head Coach 09 & More

This is a discussion on Josh Looman Leaving Madden Team, After 17 Years - Creator of Franchise Mode, MUT, NFL Head Coach 09 & More within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 02-28-2020, 11:46 AM   #57
Rookie

MasonOS95's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Josh Looman Leaving Madden Team, After 17 Years - Creator of Franchise Mode, MUT,

Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill10
With next generation around the corner and Looman leaving, it maybe time for them to hit the reset button on Franchise. Usually when we get to a new generation, they usually strip down modes anyway. "Connected" was good when it came to making changes and it going hand to hand with online and offline. But they should take the 2k approach and focus on Offline first then the following year add those features to the online mode.

My problem with Franchise, outside of depth, is the simplistic approach. The saying was "if a 12 year old can't pick it up and play it, then what are we doing" or something close to it. There is no real complexity or real strategy needed for Franchise. It is best suited for a Online style of play. Where it is quick and simple. HC09 was a great idea, but it would have been better if that was apart of franchise not a standalone game. Along with smarter AI, complexity and strategy is needed for a sports season mode. The best way to work with a complex mode is additional sliders/options. If there are ways that AI could handle tasks automatically for novice users, you can have more complex features.

Any other times, I'm against stripping down modes. But Franchise needs overhaul.

They rebuilt it with a new engine so they don’t have to take things out, why would you possibly want them to do that again when they don’t have too?

That’s *** backwards

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 03-03-2020, 03:35 PM   #58
MVP

OVR: 2
Re: Josh Looman Leaving Madden Team, After 17 Years - Creator of Franchise Mode, MUT,

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonOS95
They rebuilt it with a new engine so they don’t have to take things out, why would you possibly want them to do that again when they don’t have too?

That’s *** backwards

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Maybe because what he is seeing now, and I agree, is that the path they are going down is subpar.
Old 03-03-2020, 07:10 PM   #59
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by goillini03
Maybe because what he is seeing now, and I agree, is that the path they are going down is subpar.
Exactly. I like the concept of FranTik. It has done its purpose of not losing features. But the problem is that they don't really work on those features after they implement them.
When I say overhaul, it needs a new look and feel to it. I wouldn't just want them to add features on what is currently there.
Old 03-04-2020, 02:52 AM   #60
CNFL Commissioner

XtremeDunkz's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill10
With next generation around the corner and Looman leaving, it maybe time for them to hit the reset button on Franchise. Usually when we get to a new generation, they usually strip down modes anyway. "Connected" was good when it came to making changes and it going hand to hand with online and offline. But they should take the 2k approach and focus on Offline first then the following year add those features to the online mode.
My problem with Franchise, outside of depth, is the simplistic approach. The saying was "if a 12 year old can't pick it up and play it, then what are we doing" or something close to it. There is no real complexity or real strategy needed for Franchise. It is best suited for a Online style of play. Where it is quick and simple. HC09 was a great idea, but it would have been better if that was apart of franchise not a standalone game. Along with smarter AI, complexity and strategy is needed for a sports season mode. The best way to work with a complex mode is additional sliders/options. If there are ways that AI could handle tasks automatically for novice users, you can have more complex features.
Any other times, I'm against stripping down modes. But Franchise needs overhaul.
As someone who wouldnt even buy Madden if it wasnt for 32 man online leagues im gonna give you a big hell no on that one boss.

Twitch

Twitter

NFL Green Bay Packers

NBA Philadelphia 76ers

MLB Philladelphia Phillies

NHL Philadelphia Flyers
Old 03-06-2020, 12:05 PM   #61
MVP

Madden08PCgmr's Arena

OVR: 0

Good for him. Thanks for great contributions over the years.

It will be interesting to see where they go from here. He was one of the few that kept this thing on course, as far as I am concerned.

.. I continue to flat out not understand the problem with this Title.

The NFL can basically print money at this point.

ANYTHING associated with the League is a license to print $$$.

How is this game where it is? Seriously?

Want to make an NFL arcade game? Great! You've done that. Do you not recognize you have a diehard audience, built over 30 years that wants more? SOOOO much more. Too busy counting the MUT dollars to care? That's what I'll go on assuming while I play past versions of your game.

... but thanks Josh for all you did over the years.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-10-2020, 05:21 PM   #62
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Wish him the best, but I think its good for both sides that he moved on. HC was amazing, but I got the impression that Longshot mode was his dream baby. Since he joined the Madden team I have been continuously let down by franchise mode.

I was initially very optimistic and hopeful when he came on because I was thinking of ways they could incorporate HC features into Madden. That never came close to materializing.

I think Madden could be in trouble. Maybe not this year or next, but it looks like if they don't alter course they could be entering troubled waters.
Old 03-23-2020, 12:06 AM   #63
Rookie

AgentUSA's Arena

OVR: 3
I disagreed with a number of decisions Josh made over the years but I appreciate all the work he did and I wish him the best of luck. I can’t imagine being on that yearly release treadmill for that long.*
Usually I would say that some new people and new ideas could potentially be good for franchise mode. But unfortunately I expect EA to continue to neglect it in favor of revenue generating features. After so many years of minor revisions, franchise desperately needs a ground up overhaul. A new console generation would be a great excuse to do it. But that won’t happen.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:54 AM   #64
All Star

TarHeelPhenom's Arena

OVR: 10

My biggest takeaway from this...the man worked 80-90 hours a week for approximately 17 years while being married with kids. I'm glad he came to the decision that he did. He put his family first. Life is way bigger than a video game. What we're going through now in this world should show everybody that! I wish him the best and hopefully he and his family can make up for lost time!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »