Home

Madden NFL 21 Patch Available Now - Franchise Mode & Zone Coverage Improvements - Patch Notes

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 21 Patch Available Now - Franchise Mode & Zone Coverage Improvements - Patch Notes within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-11-2021, 09:30 AM   #73
All Star

TarHeelPhenom's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Madden NFL 21 Patch Available Now - Franchise Mode Zone Coverage Improvemen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbob
I do not know if the QB Logic help... Really helped.

I am working on a franchise. I simmed, ended up with the first overall pick. I do not need to draft first, so I trade back to #11.

Trevor Lawrence, Justin Fields, Zach Wilson, and Trey Lance are still sitting there. Wilson and Lance, I understand. But there is no way the top two quarterbacks fall outside of the top 10.

Edit: Traded back some more to see where they would fall. The Jets drafted Lawrence at 11, and the Steelers (Ben retired) drafted Fields at 13.

Before them, the Dolphins, Cards, Jags, Panthers, Eagles, Ravens, Patriots, and Lions drafted. The only teams with a 0% chance of drafting a QB would be the Cards and Ravens. The others, I can make an argument for all them to draft one. But I feel if the draft logic was smart, the Panthers (went LE) and Patriots (went WR) would have drafted a QB.

Edit 2: Redid the draft the same exact way, and the exact same results came out. I made the exact same trade. I redid a third time, traded with the Jags (they had the 3rd overall pick.) They drafted Lawrence #1. So, they will not draft him at #3 when he falls to them, but will take him if they trade up?

Fields still fell to the Steelers at #13. No other QB was taken in the first.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Operation Sports mobile app

Unless Trevor Lawrence gets injured, is found to have a severe drug problem, absolutely flops at the Combine and his Pro Day...there is no way that he won't be taken #1 IRL. I understand that this is a video game so for him to fall outside of #1 is understandable lol. It can't replicate the human mind and emotional aspect. Heck, I remember in Madden's of old...the one's we all love to bring up in arguments, there was a time when QB's like Woodrow Danztler and Eric Crouch would go #1 and 2 overall in the draft despite not being draftable QB's during that time IRL. So Madden's getting close!
Old 01-11-2021, 10:32 AM   #74
MVP

bigbob's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Madden NFL 21 Patch Available Now - Franchise Mode Zone Coverage Improvemen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelPhenom
Unless Trevor Lawrence gets injured, is found to have a severe drug problem, absolutely flops at the Combine and his Pro Day...there is no way that he won't be taken #1 IRL. I understand that this is a video game so for him to fall outside of #1 is understandable lol. It can't replicate the human mind and emotional aspect. Heck, I remember in Madden's of old...the one's we all love to bring up in arguments, there was a time when QB's like Woodrow Danztler and Eric Crouch would go #1 and 2 overall in the draft despite not being draftable QB's during that time IRL. So Madden's getting close!
I agree, the human aspect will always be missing. The thing that I cannot justify is, why would the Jags take Lawrence at #1, but not #3?

I understand certain teams passing on a quarterback, but no one trades up for one until I trade back a second time? Again, that is the human element you bring up that I think we will never be able to get passed.

Sent from my Note 20 Ultra using Operation Sports mobile app

Have you ever wanted to coach or play basketball at the next level, but something prevented you from achieving that dream? Fret no more. Ask me about SimWorld Hoops to see how you can create your virtual self, and follow your path from the prep-level to the pros.

#SeeTheGameBeTheGame
Old 01-11-2021, 11:04 AM   #75
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Madden NFL 21 Franchise Mode Update (2 of 3) Arrives January 7 - Full Details Her

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
This title update added optional play calling cool downs / total play call limits as league-wide options in Franchise mode, online and offline.

I was testing the new options out with very strict limits (2 calls per game, 2 play cool down) to get this screenshot, haha.

I generally like the idea as a means to increase difficulty, but there's some wonkiness with this:

- if you try to audible to a play that is locked or on cooldown, literally nothing happens
- you cannot configure offensive and defensive cooldown / limits separately

The first is obviously just bad UX. I hope that gets cleaned up.

The second wouldn't be a huge issue if the defenses which effectively guard weakside trips sets (Gun Trips TE, Gun Trio TE, Singleback Trio, etc.) weren't so limited. Basically the only formations I can think of in the game which allow playing under fronts vs weakside trips are 34 Predator, 34 Under, and Nickel Triple. So you'll burn through your plays in those sets fast if your opponent likes to run the ever-popular Gun Trips TE - Read Option stuff. In general, if you prefer to play match coverages vs trips (as I do), you're also going to burn through your Palms and Cover 6 calls fast with these options (Cover 3 Mable / Skate is still not in the game, and Cover 4 Quarters Solo check is as far as I know still AWOL). Not a problem with the feature itself as much as an issue emergent from the limitations on defense currently present in Madden.
Yeah this is annoying but not unexpected. We've chosen to leave it as is in our online league. To set it to a level that would make guys increase their pay variety on offense, it would neuter the defense too much.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Operation Sports mobile app

Watch me play video games
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-11-2021, 05:49 PM   #76
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46
Re: Madden NFL 21 Patch Available Now - Franchise Mode & Zone Coverage Improvements -

I didn't want to give any impressions on the coverage improvements until I played about 10 games.

I think some people play one game or a half and judge everything off that. Which is something we shouldn't be doing. I have been guilty of this many times in many games.

So with that said, I've noticed significant improvement in the deep zones. Also hook zones are better as well. I feel confident in calling zone plays, and especially zone blitzes now. I still on occasion see a DB do something stupid, but you have to chalk that up to things happening like that in real life. Even though maybe it was a bug or something, but I just pretend it was a blown coverage since it happens in every game in the NFL.

It can't be perfect or no one would score. I also feel like players are playing to their ability. I mostly play with the Browns and I can notice a huge difference between Denzel Ward and Sheldrick Redwine. Ward can mirror routes with the best WR's, and make plays more often than other DB's for me. Routinely knocking a ball away from a WR or stepping in front for a pick.

I think with the new Next-Gen Stats thing really helps with players abilities.

I would say the next gen game is now probably the best Madden ever.
Old 01-11-2021, 06:12 PM   #77
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Madden NFL 21 Patch Available Now - Franchise Mode & Zone Coverage Improvements -

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVarck31
I didn't want to give any impressions on the coverage improvements until I played about 10 games.

I think some people play one game or a half and judge everything off that. Which is something we shouldn't be doing. I have been guilty of this many times in many games.

So with that said, I've noticed significant improvement in the deep zones. Also hook zones are better as well. I feel confident in calling zone plays, and especially zone blitzes now. I still on occasion see a DB do something stupid, but you have to chalk that up to things happening like that in real life. Even though maybe it was a bug or something, but I just pretend it was a blown coverage since it happens in every game in the NFL.

It can't be perfect or no one would score. I also feel like players are playing to their ability. I mostly play with the Browns and I can notice a huge difference between Denzel Ward and Sheldrick Redwine. Ward can mirror routes with the best WR's, and make plays more often than other DB's for me. Routinely knocking a ball away from a WR or stepping in front for a pick.

I've play 8 Franchise games myself, and your thoughts mirror my own. I had created a pretty long post detailing every thing that I have been seeing, but decide not to post it because the general tenor of the board made me say, "why bother".

There are a few gameplay aspects than need to be resigned IMO, but I agree that it's the best playing Madden ever.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 01-11-2021, 10:34 PM   #78
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
I've play 8 Franchise games myself, and your thoughts mirror my own. I had created a pretty long post detailing every thing that I have been seeing, but decide not to post it because the general tenor of the board made me say, "why bother".

There are a few gameplay aspects than need to be resigned IMO, but I agree that it's the best playing Madden ever.
My thoughts post patch are the same as well. After several games, Madden NG continues to have me in its grubby paws. I'm enjoying NHL 21 too but I can't pry myself away from my Falcons CFM.

Played the Giants tonight and I kickoff and Dante Pettis takes it 102 yards to the house. I'm not sure that has ever happened to me against the CPU before in Madden. He cut into a seam, my player was blocked and he was gone.

I find myself diagnosing the defense much more now looking for 1 on 1 matchups against Julio Jones or Calvin Ridley, I'm seeing WR/DB battles, CPU taking shots downfield, my star DT Grady Jarrett tossing the OL around and my 1st round pick DE Kwity Paye using his speed to get around the outside for a sack, I can go on and on. Each game is a chess match.

Star players are more noticeable on NG. I run away from players like Aaron Donald and a player like Kamara, I have to protect against the run, leaving holes in coverage. I'm just more engaged in the game and play calling.
Old 01-12-2021, 12:10 AM   #79
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagsfan24
So the zone coverage for me on defense is much improved, but I been having issues with man coverage lately. Seems 80% of the time when I call man coverage there is a big separation with my defenders. Not to mention I have 2 corners of 90 rating or higher, especially in man and they definitely don’t play like that.

Idk if others were having issues also

Is it still doing the pause and let receivers cross your face nonsense in man coverage?
Old 01-12-2021, 02:24 AM   #80
Member of Rush Nation

CujoMatty's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVarck31

Agreed. After patch best Madden ever. Not really close for me either.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »