Home

Defense Chalk Talk

This is a discussion on Defense Chalk Talk within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-25-2021, 03:38 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0
Defense Chalk Talk

You guys care to share your schemes ? I’ve been working on a Cover 0 scheme. I’m usually a guy who plays conservative however I’m tired of letting users/cpu sit back and have their way so I developed an all out approach to dictating offense and living with the results. I try to use my football knowledge to help me out because w elbow how Madden negates it some times but it’s been a mixed bag. Especially with how people abuse crosses. I’m always working on developing a playbook to fit the 3-4 storm personnel. Anything you guys doing unique in defense?

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-25-2021, 04:37 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: Defense Chalk Talk

I've always been pretty simple. Get a good DL, get good man CBs, and run a cover 1 scheme. Cover 1 gets an extra body in the box and the man corners are relied upon to to hold their own on islands. The DL is to disrupt the LOS to either make it easy on the LBs or get pressure on the QB while man coverage locks down the WRs.

Washington has a nasty DL, but I cannot find success with man right now in year 2, so I've been playing a lot more cover 3, 4, and 6 with some random pressure being brought. Cover brings in an extra body like cover 1. 4 has ny safeties playing the run first.

I'm trying to keep everything in front of the defense and hope the DL can get pressure before a hole in the zone is found. Unfortunately through 2 games I have one of the worst pass defenses and my DL has been a disappointment. My run defense remains strong as the DL has been good there and then over 3/4 both aid the run defense with the extra body or playing run first.

If I can get another cover corner to be my #2 man that I can rely on then I'll go back to my cover 1 scheme, but for year 2 I think I'm going to be throwing stuff at the wall until something starts to stick with this defense.

Game 1 against LAC wasn't terrible. Only gave up 22 points in a 22-10 loss, but game 2 I could not stop the Falcons offense and gave up 30+ points. My defense would be better if my offense was worth anything, but McLaurin is out half the year and my left side of my OL is incredibly young with a rookie LG, so my offense has no OL nor any WR worth anything right now.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

― Plato
Old 02-25-2021, 05:51 PM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSonTL
You guys care to share your schemes ? I’ve been working on a Cover 0 scheme. I’m usually a guy who plays conservative however I’m tired of letting users/cpu sit back and have their way so I developed an all out approach to dictating offense and living with the results. I try to use my football knowledge to help me out because w elbow how Madden negates it some times but it’s been a mixed bag. Especially with how people abuse crosses. I’m always working on developing a playbook to fit the 3-4 storm personnel. Anything you guys doing unique in defense?

Tried the storm thing last year based off denver's playbook because I think it's in the game cause of their DC. But you need a heavy zone blitzing playbook and you going to get gashed by a running game. If your offense is explosive, this D shines

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 02-25-2021, 09:24 PM   #4
Pro

Current scheme in a coach mode league with a buddy I prominently run a lot of cover 1 mixed with cover 4.Have two shutdown corners and solid safeties.Biggest key is have at least one very good defender at all three levels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Warriors
Sharks
Old 02-26-2021, 07:47 AM   #5
MVP

Mattanite's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSonTL

34 Storm could be devastating this year as finesse moves split double teams! I ran that last year in my online 32 coach sim CFM. Ebukam and Shaq Griffin at OLB with Donald on DL was devastating.

Cover0 sounds interesting, so basically a lot of slot/man CB and hybrid S?

This year I'm running more of a Cover2 team. Decent press slot CB types with 2 zone safeties (SS is K Neal so got the run stop if needed to move down). Main thing is my 2DT set up (T Bryan, J Allen from Skins), both high impact, strength, power move rushers to give optionality vs OL and pressure the QB. High blockshed on DE for outside contain as LBs get caught up in traffic too much.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-26-2021, 10:30 AM   #6
MVP

I run the Storm scheme, but I do it slightly different in the sense that my DT is not a speed rusher, but a run stopper. I wanted someone with good block shedding that can hold down the A gaps.

Pass coverage wise, I do a lot of 5 man blitzing, whether it be Cover 1 or Cover 3 (a 3 rec hook and two flat defenders). Occasionally I sprinkle in a 6 man blitz. However I’m only in year two, and my secondary isn’t very good in man coverage, so I can’t quite get as good of coverage as I would like sending 6. I make Cover 0/1/3 all look the same, 2/4/6 look the same, it’s hard to tell pre snap what we coverage we will be in. A lot of the time, we have the box loaded also.

Ultimately, we want to force quick throws and make the QB make the wrong read for an easy pick, rather than just imposing our will and being better than the guys across from us (I’m in year two with the Jaguars. Went 4-12 in year 1, 10-6 in year two and am in the Divisional round now). I’m hoping that as they continue to build and develop, we can leave more players on islands by themselves, but I think that will require me to draft more man corners and not zone.
Old 02-26-2021, 10:05 PM   #7
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

I can't speak to H2H play or MUT or last gen, but on the new gen version shading is very helpful now in M2M coverage in Franchise vs the CPU. Defenders with lower man coverage ratings and awareness benefit greatly from it if you guess right.

Shading under is super high risk anywhere outside of defending your own red zone, almost a guarantee of getting beat over the top if you don't get instant pressure, but if you guess right then your odds for a pick increase exponentially.

Shading out is great for out breaking routes of course duh, but is especially helpful in defending those super hard to cover outbreaking routes by the TE or passes to the back in the flat.

Shading inside is the second most risky choice, also probably best saved for defending inside your own 40, but great with the angle routes and the digs.

Shading over is the safest call preventing most streaks from being completed except by elite receivers, and is basically a must when the opponent has a 97 plus speed receiver.

In my Franchise Jalen Ramsey who is 33 now, probably in his last season and down to 89 speed has 9 interceptions through 13 games, none User controlled, since I started using shading basically every play in this current season. It really helps playmakers to make plays.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 02-27-2021, 09:55 AM   #8
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

Cover 3 works great for me. I mix up my shell every play and sometimes mix in some zone blitzes.

One thing I like to do, and it’s a bit cheese but in truth it’s been used in real football, is when you have a play where safety walks up to blitz, what I’ll do is play as that safety, then flip the play so they aren’t sure whose blitzing. Other times I’ll make that guy play a hook zone, a man assignment or play as a spy.
(Obviously teams aren’t “flipping” plays in real life, but it’s the only way I’ve seen to bluff a blitz on one side while a real one comes on the other).

I do something similar with cat blitzes, assigning the safety to man coverage on the outside WR.

Call it cheese, but even in high school my team did something similar. It causes confusion, and that’s the entire point of a zone blitz.

I remember I saw a Ravens game in 2011 where all four linebackers showed blitz, but at the snap, four guys left of the ball all went into zone (linemen and lbs alike), and then the pressure came from the slot corner and the weak side linebackers. Every defensive linemen on the strong side played a zone, and they all moved toward the weak side. The linebackers on the strong side bailed like crazy to the weak side.

And yes, the QB was sacked.
https://forums.operationsports.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2049813056

Last edited by your mom; 06-06-2006 at 6:06 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »