Home

Since EA Is Bringing Coordinators Back, What Do You Want From Them?

This is a discussion on Since EA Is Bringing Coordinators Back, What Do You Want From Them? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-27-2021, 09:38 AM   #25
Rookie

shiftythomas's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Since EA Is Bringing Coordinators Back, What Do You Want From Them?

I hope the feature is similar to that of NCAA 14 and the Maddens of old. I liked the ideas behind the skills that could be earned in NCAA 14, so I would like to see EA build upon that. What I liked from the old Madden games was the inclusion of real coordinators and also that players would retire and end up in the coaching pool. More than anything, I hope that the feature has a decent amount of depth and implementation isn’t half-assed. I’ll take just about anything at this point, if they will build upon in in future years.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-28-2021, 04:22 AM   #26
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

I would like to tangibly be able to see and feel how coordinators affect the on-field gameplay in an obvious and meaningful capacity, and I would like that effect to go beyond static player ratings boosts of, say, assistant coaches in Madden 12.

Whatever those effects are, go nuts.
Old 03-28-2021, 01:36 PM   #27
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
I would like to tangibly be able to see and feel how coordinators affect the on-field gameplay in an obvious and meaningful capacity, and I would like that effect to go beyond static player ratings boosts of, say, assistant coaches in Madden 12.

Whatever those effects are, go nuts.
I agree. I wouldn't just want to see 3+ MAC and AWR or an increased XP for certain positions

It would be cool to incorporate their impact into play-calling. Probably would have to overhaul the playcall system. They could add another play call tab for Coordinator plays. Where their play selection could be based on their skill. The higher the skill, the more high percentage and situation appropriate the plays are. The more you have success with their plays, the more XP the coordinator gets. Also could add Coach Nostadomis feature from NCAA 14. Where if they are skilled enough, they'll call out the coverage. I liked that feature because if you knew how to attack a coverage, it has a huge impact. Or highlight a mismatch before a play starts
Old 03-29-2021, 03:28 PM   #28
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

I keep writing a lot more on this then deleting it and deciding not to post.

So to put it simply, I want coordinators to have a massive impact on how your team is run and constructed.

Free Agents - Should want to work with prior/successful coordinators, coaches, schemes and for organizations that are putting together like-minded traits. A power RB might not want to go to a power running team, who is shoe-horning in a pass happy spread offense playbook/scheme. To a lesser extent this should apply to draft picks, they have a bit less control of their destiny at the onset, but coordinators should recommend/influence your picks in certain types of organizations (which is off topic but should be a thing - ie involved owner, coach-as-GM, coach-as-coordinator, etc because those could be really great ways to differentiate how teams are run)

Head Coaches - if you are GM, your ability to hire and retain your head coach should be factored into the types of coordinators you bring on

Coordinators - Your ability to hire and retain your coordinators should be based on the ability to let them run their schemes and sign and draft the types of players they like to run.

Money can overcome a lot of these potential negatives, but short of a big chemistry system to dynamically manage between all of these elements I think a lot of value could be had with a simpler first or second year of coordinators.

Of course the natural want is full career progression - player to coordinator <-> coach. I'd love the heck out of that too. Establishing my own traits, leading from me being a player to then running the type of offense I want to run and that dictating my fit among players and teams... that could be a great experience.

Last edited by mestevo; 03-29-2021 at 04:16 PM.
Old 03-30-2021, 07:00 AM   #29
Rookie

DatsunDimer's Arena

I think it would be somewhat important to have head coaches assigned a role too. For instance, does your head coach call offensive or defensive plays, or is he a managing head coach that allows both coordinators full play-calling control. For me, this would help prevent offensive play-calling head coaches from being able to sign top tier offensive coordinators, etc.

Most importantly, if players and coaches do not have more depth to their "personalities" it will be a shallow and empty experience. I don't want to be able to sign every player or coach I really want.

One last thing. I would LOVE to have a coaching tree available. If I am 20 years in, it would be awesome to see how many head coaches were under my coach and so on. Making it even more complicated, those coaches would inherit scheme and could potentially increase the difficulty in getting players for your own team. The Shanahan system comes to mind.
Old 03-30-2021, 09:00 AM   #30
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

I think for coordinators to have an actual impact, EA has to bring personality and tendencies and make those significant parts of the system. 2k football always had the VIP system and it actually made each coach call games differently and that's a big part of why that game shined.

Madden has unfortunately never really captured any feeling of any coach ever calling the game differently. The play calling is pure RNG. The CPU gets 20 plays they can call any given situation and RNG just chooses one of those plays. They have zero tendencies, your playcalling doesn't impact what they do, past success or failure has no impact.

The VIP system made it so that coaches actually did have tendencies that could change over time or during the game. If a Mike Shanahan team ran right 80% the time on 2nd and medium, but you stopped most of those run plays in your game, they would often adjust. Some games they'd remain stubborn, others they'd adjust to you and your team and then if they found success with another play type, they stuck with that.

EA needs that kind of personality and dynamic gameplay to be introduced with coordinators. They need to have an impact on every single game. They need to be unique. Some should adapt quick. Others should remain stubborn. They should all have recognizable tendencies that are realistic. The old completely RNG playcalling needs to be replaced with something that gives the AI some logic.

Lastly, EA needs to take something else from the 2k playbook. In Choops 2k8, your assistant coaches would be influenced by your coaching style. They wouldn't always copy you completely, but if you hired an assistant offensive coach and you ran a high pace offense and you had success, you could actually see your assistant coach's coaching style change to be more like your style than what it originally was when he was hired. And when your coaches would go on to be the head men at other schools, it was always neat to see your influence in the college world. Your tree wasn't just a cosmetic thing, your playstyle impacted the college world and if they had success, their assistants would be influenced and also change their styles a bit and it was cool to see 10 years down the road, if you had success that 20 teams around the country were mimicking your team because of that success. I remember being at Chattanooga and my assistant took the Citadel job and after he was there a few years he had essentially recruited the same type of team as me and was running my system as good as me if not better. My undefeated season ended with a conference championship loss to my protege because he beat me with my very own system. That's one of my favorite gaming moments of all time that I wish a football game would finally replicate.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

― Plato
Old 04-12-2021, 06:13 PM   #31
Just started!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheButter
Why not add in a simple weekly staff meeting? It'd be text based, just like the head coaches office in franchise now, and it'd bring emphasis to how important a good staff is in Madden.

They could take about key players on the upcoming team, their big plays to watch for, how your team matches up, and who should start at their positions.

Thoughts?Attachment 189936

I’d take that. Most of us don’t like current coaches and staff anyways
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-01-2021, 08:40 PM   #32
Rookie

What if (in coach mode) each OC or DC was scheme specific and had their own playbook and, as part of the negotiating process of hiring them, some of them would insist on calling the plays or...if the coach calls the plays, the team would be somehow limited each week as the coach now has more responsibility and cant do everything? Also each OC Or DC would have boosts or detractions from certain area of the offense or defense based on their abilities?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »