Home

No way the A.I. should be subpar in this powerful machines

This is a discussion on No way the A.I. should be subpar in this powerful machines within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-16-2021, 05:07 PM   #25
Hall Of Fame

Playmakers's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: No way the A.I. should be subpar in this powerful machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by capa
Trust me...I've moved on...

C
I might be in the minority here

But gameplay usually becomes stale after 1-2 months. I saw some progress on Next Gen but between the atmosphere, announcing and lack of player/team differentiation it makes the game only worth playing a few months out of the year.

I used to love Madden and I used to defend the product no matter what they did but now I'm at the point to where I don't expect much.

I'm not a programmer so I can't say what developers should or shouldn't be able to do with the new consoles. But I find it hard to believe that they can't improve the overall atmosphere in this game where the announcing and stadium passion that you see and hear on Sunday's especially doing big games.

I remember NCAA 06 having the stuff on a old system that we still lack on Next Gen consoles today.

Player's seemed to have separation amongst them on the field and atmosphere was amazing. Off the field it was still pretty immersive because of the SI articles and stuff.

It just seems like despite constant feedback to the company over the years the product never truly takes a major leap forward.

I'm willing to give the NG consoles a fair shot but beyond graphics they have got to start putting all the pieces together to bring us a great football for once.

Follow some the Greatest College Football players of All Time in NCAA Football 14
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-16-2021, 05:55 PM   #26
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmakers
I might be in the minority here

But gameplay usually becomes stale after 1-2 months. I saw some progress on Next Gen but between the atmosphere, announcing and lack of player/team differentiation it makes the game only worth playing a few months out of the year.

I used to love Madden and I used to defend the product no matter what they did but now I'm at the point to where I don't expect much.

I'm not a programmer so I can't say what developers should or shouldn't be able to do with the new consoles. But I find it hard to believe that they can't improve the overall atmosphere in this game where the announcing and stadium passion that you see and hear on Sunday's especially doing big games.

I remember NCAA 06 having the stuff on a old system that we still lack on Next Gen consoles today.

Player's seemed to have separation amongst them on the field and atmosphere was amazing. Off the field it was still pretty immersive because of the SI articles and stuff.

It just seems like despite constant feedback to the company over the years the product never truly takes a major leap forward.

I'm willing to give the NG consoles a fair shot but beyond graphics they have got to start putting all the pieces together to bring us a great football for once.
Fully agree.

Madden has struggled in the Atmosphere department for the last couple generations. Which is weird to because NCAA did well with Atmosphere, Live wasn't even as bad as Madden's atmosphere. It feels geared towards Online play. Where if you're playing Online or H2H, you're not as concerned with the overall atmosphere. Yes Commentary could be a lot better(preferably new announcers). Every game feels like an exhibition game outside of franchise specific commentary. Never feels like I can get immersed into a game like with other games.

Part of it was the "fast to fun" approach where they took out segments like coin toss, huddle breaks, etc. I get the memory constraints of last gen and putting resources into features that most skip through after a week, but they have to step it up.

With football as my favorite sport, I want to look forward to buying Madden. But never can feel that way. This is the year, I want to see the generational leap. I have Madden 21 last gen a pass because it was the last major release of the generation and I didn't expect much. And even Madden 21 Next-gen, I felt it would take a Madden 25 approach where it was higher Fidelity port that tries to take advantage of newer hardware. I understand Pandemic hampered development, but this is the year I want to see that jump
Old 05-16-2021, 11:07 PM   #27
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

OVR: 0

People may just need to come to the realization that it is impossible to create the atmosphere required by people who only desire to play against a CPU. It is an unrealistic vision to expect AI to mimic life, being ever-changing and fresh, for more than a solid 1 to 2 months worth of average gameplay playtime.

H2H is a major focus, IMO, because it provides the most efficient path to creating life-like gameplay experiences. Games versus CPU is only truly good for practice and labbing.
Old 05-17-2021, 01:33 PM   #28
MVP

simbayless's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thQtrStre5S
People may just need to come to the realization that it is impossible to create the atmosphere required by people who only desire to play against a CPU. It is an unrealistic vision to expect AI to mimic life, being ever-changing and fresh, for more than a solid 1 to 2 months worth of average gameplay playtime.

H2H is a major focus, IMO, because it provides the most efficient path to creating life-like gameplay experiences. Games versus CPU is only truly good for practice and labbing.

All pro football 2k8 would like to have a word with you sir
Old 05-17-2021, 04:46 PM   #29
Rookie

MasonOS95's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by simbayless
All pro football 2k8 would like to have a word with you sir

I wouldn’t say it was a success though

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 05-17-2021, 05:43 PM   #30
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonOS95
I wouldn’t say it was a success though

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
APF has my favorite on-field gameplay and it's AI still surpasses anything since. But it was a commercial failure. It sold poorly. I guess they felt if they couldn't have current NFL players than NFL legends was the next best thing. But, they didn't realize most causals don't care about the low profile legends. They would've been better off just going fully fictional rosters kept the depth of 2k5

A non-licensed sports game isn't going to sell "well" in this era. That's why EA acquiring Metalhead will help the SMB series. If EA can acquire the MLB license and allow Metalhead to do their thing, they will have a more national presence.
Old 05-18-2021, 10:10 AM   #31
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill10
APF has my favorite on-field gameplay and it's AI still surpasses anything since. But it was a commercial failure. It sold poorly. I guess they felt if they couldn't have current NFL players than NFL legends was the next best thing. But, they didn't realize most causals don't care about the low profile legends. They would've been better off just going fully fictional rosters kept the depth of 2k5

A non-licensed sports game isn't going to sell "well" in this era. That's why EA acquiring Metalhead will help the SMB series. If EA can acquire the MLB license and allow Metalhead to do their thing, they will have a more national presence.
APF had two fatal flaws: first, it lacked a franchise mode. 2K Sports hedged their bet that gamers would be content with creating a team with John Elway and Walter Payton, along with customization would be enough to to keep gamers playing and they were wrong.

The second flaw is that, while I am aware they released their game in July, they should have released it much sooner... maybe in the spring. You're not beating EA so don't release your game anywhere near the time EA releases.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-18-2021, 10:55 AM   #32
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennylc321
APF had two fatal flaws: first, it lacked a franchise mode. 2K Sports hedged their bet that gamers would be content with creating a team with John Elway and Walter Payton, along with customization would be enough to to keep gamers playing and they were wrong.

The second flaw is that, while I am aware they released their game in July, they should have released it much sooner... maybe in the spring. You're not beating EA so don't release your game anywhere near the time EA releases.
I agree. That approach was doomed to fail because with there isn't much you can build off of using Legends. I get that Legends were the next best thing, but it limits what they could do. That Season mode made Madden's look like 2k5 franchise lol. No immersion, no depth at all. It was Iiterally playing exhibition games and you had to have a good imagination.
APF 2K8 released a day before NCAA Football 2008. Should have released in early June

But to try to stay on topic, I always felt Madden should've developed a similar VIP system as 2k5 and 2k8. Yes it was broken at times, but the concept of it was ideal. Instead relying on CPU Ai to handle everything the same way, I rather be able to adjust the team's tendencies so every team plays true to itself

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »