Home

What new ratings would you like to see this Madden generation?

This is a discussion on What new ratings would you like to see this Madden generation? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 07-14-2021, 11:27 AM   #17
AWFL Commish

Aestis's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: What new ratings would you like to see this Madden generation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelPhenom
Definitely a CLUTCH rating. When the game is on the line and you have a low clutch rating, the chances that you miss a block, drop a pass, fumble the ball or throw a pick rise...and vice versa.

Great example of something you do not need a rating for. A trait/ability is better.

I'll continue to bang this drum but a 50-99 rating scale is completely unnecessary for many things in the game to start adding nuance. Things like blocking/coverage/etc. all make sense to have a rating. Many of the 'new' ideas should be a binary ability (have vs don't have) or a trait/tendency with a small # of values (low/med/high).

Commissioner
After Work Football League
(Xbox Series S/X)
AWFL Discord
AWFL Daddyleagues
Old 07-14-2021, 11:37 AM   #18
Game Dev

TheBleedingRed21's Arena

OVR: 21

Clutch is a great example of a trait as mentioned above that could modify attributes positive or negative during certain times. But we need ratings differential to really matter before that would work.

Last edited by TheBleedingRed21; 07-14-2021 at 12:20 PM.
Old 07-14-2021, 11:42 AM   #19
Rookie

Dblock1111's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aestis
Great example of something you do not need a rating for. A trait/ability is better.

I'll continue to bang this drum but a 50-99 rating scale is completely unnecessary for many things in the game to start adding nuance. Things like blocking/coverage/etc. all make sense to have a rating. Many of the 'new' ideas should be a binary ability (have vs don't have) or a trait/tendency with a small # of values (low/med/high).

APF 2k8 had the best "Trait-Rating" system i've ever used. Their players didn't have any numbered ratings (that you could see on the front end) but each of their Star Tier Players all felt unique based on the traits they had!

Would love for something like that to be implemented in Madden and clean up the ridiculous amount of ratings we have now.
Old 07-14-2021, 05:48 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 0

Game absolutely needs a snap rating to differentiate centers and long snappers as said in the OP, this along with the outdated position philosophy for roster building (using each individual positions instead of more open QB RB WR TE OT G/C or just IOL EDGE IDL LB CB/S or just DB that would help AI team building through scheme changes) are things that just kinda are my biggest "why isnt this in the game at this point?" outside of the norm

and im not sure how what to call it but a "back pedal/first step?" rating, could be a stat that would really differentiate an OT from an interior lineman, thinking it would use thresholds to nerf or at some point buff the tackles quickness and pass block ratings for the first few seconds of the snap. Obviously if its low they would struggle off the snap while letting the rusher win quickly and a player who struggles in pass block but with the stat high would atleast be able to engage the defender off the line. it would add value to using a TE or RB throwing a quick block in to help a tackle who struggles with it but is a fine blocker overall

The previous could also work on DBs, would really separate the corner CB and S positions, would also put difference in between a bigger corner who struggles with quickness off the line which would make the player need to press the WR to be successful and would force athletic corners who struggle with it would need to play off as not to get beat deep themselves
Old 07-14-2021, 06:46 PM   #21
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dblock1111
APF 2k8 had the best "Trait-Rating" system i've ever used. Their players didn't have any numbered ratings (that you could see on the front end) but each of their Star Tier Players all felt unique based on the traits they had!

Would love for something like that to be implemented in Madden and clean up the ridiculous amount of ratings we have now.
I've always been a huge fan of ratings being on the back-end like 2k8 while the user & CPU are provided with scouting reports of each player. Obviously older players have more accurate reports, younger players reports may not be completely accurate.

There would also be settings where you can turn ratings on and just see those, or when you use the scouting reports you can pick if their accuracy levels(Low, Normal, High).

On top of those accuracy settings you also get a scouting department like we are getting now. You can spend more money to get more accurate reports, but your overall staff budget takes a hit from that.

One of the reasons I love Out of the Park is that I can set my game up to use the same ratings scale that real scouts in baseball use, the 20-80 scale, and I have the ability to make the scouting reports however accurate I want. I usually go with a lower accuracy setting so that there is more fog of war and so that your scouts matter more. I would love to finally be able to play a football game with a very similar system.

― Plato
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-14-2021, 06:57 PM   #22
Nothing to see here folks

oneamongthefence's Arena

OVR: 22

An explosiveness rating. Would determine how quickly a player moves at the snap. Lineman would be able to get leverage quicker. Some receivers would have a quicker 1st step off the line. Basically it would be a modifier for acceleration only modifying the initial step or burst.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
Old 07-15-2021, 05:57 PM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 2

I would like to see the last 9 points of each rating be reserved for only physical attributes. For example, The max CATCH rating for all WRs is 90, after that it is based on the size of the hands or arm length. A player with big hands gets a +9 boost to the 90 CATCH rating, a player with smaller hands gets a +2 or no boost. These physical attributes would only be editable by changing the physical traits of the player.

I think this could add a whole new level to scouting too.
Old 07-15-2021, 06:04 PM   #24
MVP

Kaanyr Vhok's Arena

OVR: 14

Long Snap is so long overdue. Not having a long snap rating kills chise rosters.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »