Home

Help me call better defense

This is a discussion on Help me call better defense within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-09-2021, 10:25 PM   #25
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33
Re: Help me call better defense

Question about how to set up my interior run defense.

If I want space-eaters who are gonna hold their ground and eat double teams, I'm assuming that I want to focus on raw size and STR, but that BSH is not as important.

Do we know if size actually factors into how stout guys are in run D up front, and is it correct to assume that BSH is more of a secondary consideration if you want your guys primarily to draw and hold double teams?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2021, 01:36 AM   #26
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

I believe in their post-beta feedback, EA specifically called out that they made weight matter more. The Twitter account @MUTLeaks used to tweet out data mined from the PC game (especially during the Madden 20 product life cycle), and some stuff they found indicated that weight is indeed a significant factor in run blocking.

When Clint Oldenburg used to tweet insights about Madden, he had previously mentioned that Strength affects whether Madden will grant a defender a chance to shed or disengage from a block, and then Block Shedding affects whether the defender actually succeeds in doing so. According to Gridiron Notes from Madden 18, only defenders with 90+ PMV or FMV can perform an "Insta-Shed" - an immediate win against a blocker upon first contact.

I assume Strength / Acceleration / Weight against the blocker's Strength / Acceleration / [Play-Relevant Run Block Rating] affects the initial movement of each blocker-defender interaction, but I don't know that for certain. I think MUTLeaks tweeted a graph about this at some point?

So to answer your question: if you just want a space eater, I'd focus on the biggest, strongest person you can find, then make sure he's always lined up as a 0-Technique nose tackle (directly over the center) or a 1-Technique defensive tackle (shaded over one of a guard's inside shoulder). That should make him the target of double-team blocks against the majority of run schemes in the game.
Old 09-10-2021, 09:19 AM   #27
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerhunker
Thank you Gagnon, great inquiry...

Thank you CM for casting your vast knowledge...

What I have always struggled with besides just randomly calling plays is controlling players. I long for the day when you could just call the play. I can't control the stick to save my life. I find that holding in L1, your controlled player does not perform the responsibility he's suppose to (not complaining nor saying anything is broken).

So, to piggyback on what to call, who and how do I control a player without totally screwing the pooch each play (surely I am not the only one)?
I would simply suggest playing as a pass rusher, especially a downed lineman. It's kind of hard to mess up the play with those guys. I am decent playing linebacker and mediocre at safety. Playing cornerback is never an option for me because that's the one position I'd definitely screw up.

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Old 09-10-2021, 10:45 AM   #28
MVP

JHedges2's Arena

OVR: 12

The insight here is super next level.

All of it makes me want to play “offense only” lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-10-2021, 10:51 AM   #29
Rookie

OVR: 0

Try what I did last year. First have your Dbs cover inside then adjust to have them covering over the top. It help me handle slants and go routes.
Old 09-10-2021, 11:47 AM   #30
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25

I just finished a game and am wondering about something related to defense but not in regards to play calling. I use Armor's sliders and play on All-Pro. I posted the same question on his slider thread but I'm curious what others (that might not follow him) have to say.

I play mostly as Khalil Mack with the Bears and I've become proficient at the pass rush with him. So much so that it's probably overpowered. I am able to bull rush and pancake blockers around 85% of the time. The last game I played I recorded 9.5 sacks and had multiple rushed throws. I'm curious if you guys are seeing this with X-Factor rushers. I love playing with Mack but, 9.5 sacks... yikes. Cincinnati should have doubled me or something but they never did. I could get to the quarterback almost at will. I really don't want to put any house rules on Mack but I may end up having to I guess.

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Old 09-10-2021, 12:01 PM   #31
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

OK, played a GREAT defensive game vs. BAL (on my Twitch channel) where I used lots of the info from this thread and the other defensive threads (including G'Mo's), as well as the lab session I had with Decent yesterday. All of that made a HUGE difference. I based heavily out of quarters w/ some 3 cloud, C6, and some sparing C1 in there & I didn't have a single coverage breakdown, which was great.

To the point about run D, I made a adjustment that will help me figure out how much weight and STR factor in. I moved PJ hall (95-ish STR) to LE and signed Star Lotuilei (90+) as my DT2. I how have 3 pretty big bodies to put in my base front, including Hankins at NT. We'll see what kind of difference that makes.

In any case, the convo is really helping improve the quality of my play and in-game experience, which is awesome!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2021, 01:18 PM   #32
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
I just finished a game and am wondering about something related to defense but not in regards to play calling. I use Armor's sliders and play on All-Pro. I posted the same question on his slider thread but I'm curious what others (that might not follow him) have to say.

I play mostly as Khalil Mack with the Bears and I've become proficient at the pass rush with him. So much so that it's probably overpowered. I am able to bull rush and pancake blockers around 85% of the time. The last game I played I recorded 9.5 sacks and had multiple rushed throws. I'm curious if you guys are seeing this with X-Factor rushers. I love playing with Mack but, 9.5 sacks... yikes. Cincinnati should have doubled me or something but they never did. I could get to the quarterback almost at will. I really don't want to put any house rules on Mack but I may end up having to I guess.
The X factor system creates a pretty massive imbalance on the defensive line against the CPU. To me, the X factor system is designed for one off games, not a season or franchise. I'm guessing you'll have 3-5 sacks, at least, every game with Mack now that you're good at the user moves

Sent from my SM-G970U using Operation Sports mobile app

Watch me play video games

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »