Home

Help me call better defense

This is a discussion on Help me call better defense within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-10-2021, 01:27 PM   #33
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Help me call better defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
I just finished a game and am wondering about something related to defense but not in regards to play calling. I use Armor's sliders and play on All-Pro. I posted the same question on his slider thread but I'm curious what others (that might not follow him) have to say.

I play mostly as Khalil Mack with the Bears and I've become proficient at the pass rush with him. So much so that it's probably overpowered. I am able to bull rush and pancake blockers around 85% of the time. The last game I played I recorded 9.5 sacks and had multiple rushed throws. I'm curious if you guys are seeing this with X-Factor rushers. I love playing with Mack but, 9.5 sacks... yikes. Cincinnati should have doubled me or something but they never did. I could get to the quarterback almost at will. I really don't want to put any house rules on Mack but I may end up having to I guess.
I have t.j watt and he will probably be the all time sack leaders when done. I use him rarely. I mostly use the less skilled guys and let the great ones do their thing. He does great but not 9 sacks a game great. I mostly use him by going into coverage when he is assigned to pass rush. I try to wait for a blocker to commit then back off into coverage with one of my outside backers.
Old 09-10-2021, 01:40 PM   #34
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Gagnon, FWIW, I turn XF off completely. I think it imbalances the game, TBH, and on AM, I like the effects even less than I do at lower levels.

I'm very happy with them off; you might try it for a few games and see if you get more balanced results.
Old 09-10-2021, 05:30 PM   #35
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25

I've been going back through all the tutorials and taking notes on my laptop. Trying to learn which defenses play best against different types of plays. I'll be happy to share my notes here when I get them finished. I'm going to use them as kind of a cheat sheet while playing. Might even laminate it. Haha.

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2021, 08:14 PM   #36
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

That sounds great, Gagnon!

I did see some nice changes out of the front 3 with the added STR from the bigs. I got pretty stout play and some good bull rush/pocket push without sheds but with collapsing ability from those thick, strong dudes.

That was encouraging.
Old 09-11-2021, 11:26 AM   #37
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Going to ask here as this thread is extremely helpful and I don’t think I’m too far off topic

How well at the higher difficulty levels does the CPU adjust to your play calling to shut down/take away what you’re trying to do?

Thank you in advance for any answers and a great thread by the way.

Thanks Gagnon for creating

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 09-11-2021, 01:04 PM   #38
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
Going to ask here as this thread is extremely helpful and I don’t think I’m too far off topic

How well at the higher difficulty levels does the CPU adjust to your play calling to shut down/take away what you’re trying to do?

Good question, but unfortunately I have no clue. I always wish the developers of all sports games would give very specific details/explanations in regards to what exactly changes when you switch difficulty levels. I’ve always felt that it pretty much just increases the CPU’s ratings accordingly. Meaning at lower levels the CPU’s ratings actually take a hit, at one level it’s all even (usually All-Pro or Hall of Fame on The Show), and at the highest level the CPU gets a ratings boost. Which is why I typically play sports games on the second highest difficulty.

I wish that the CPU had increased logic at higher difficulties but I just don’t think k that’s the case. I could be wrong, obviously.

Also, I’ve been running a lot of Cover 1 defense and it’s made a huge difference. I like to try to shut down the run and medium passes. Cover 1 has been pretty good so far for that.

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Old 09-11-2021, 01:32 PM   #39
MVP

IlluminatusUIUC's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
So to answer your question: if you just want a space eater, I'd focus on the biggest, strongest person you can find, then make sure he's always lined up as a 0-Technique nose tackle (directly over the center) or a 1-Technique defensive tackle (shaded over one of a guard's inside shoulder). That should make him the target of double-team blocks against the majority of run schemes in the game.
And because Madden is weird, the depth charts work differently for a 4-3 vs a 3-4. In a 3 man line, the DT1/RDT1 is the 0 Tech. In a 4 man line, DT2/RDT2 is the 1 tech.
Old 09-11-2021, 03:25 PM   #40
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy

I have no concrete evidence backing this one way or the other, but my gut feeling is that on All Madden the CPU aggressively calls counters to your play calls once you have used a play out of a particular formation more than twice.

I feel like I can reuse concepts across different formations plenty, but calling the exact same play out of the exact same set seems to clue the CPU in very fast.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »