Home

"Offensive Weapons" like Deebo Samuel in Franchise

This is a discussion on "Offensive Weapons" like Deebo Samuel in Franchise within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-29-2021, 03:03 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
"Offensive Weapons" like Deebo Samuel in Franchise

So I was thinking about starting a new 49ers franchise and feeding the ball to Deebo. I'd love to get him monster Yards from Scrimmage, but the game isn't really set-up for moving a WR all over the place, understandably, to prevent cheese.

Tell me what you guys think:

Designated Position
Deebo is, first and foremost, a Wide Receiver that could probably get a couple carries a game off jet sweeps or lining up in the backfield. The Jet Sweeps DO exist in the 49er playbook, but there's no way to get him at RB without changing his position.

So some ideas are to:

1. edit his position to RB and formation sub him to WR in most situations,
  2. edit his position to Tight End, where he can be placed at either WR/TE/FB on the depth chart and I could creatively move him around throughout the game via depth chart/formation subs (a lot of work, but perhaps in the truest spirit),
  3. or keep him at WR and just get really good at running Jet Sweeps--which isn't in the same spirit.

XP/Legacy and Year-End Award Considerations
If I recall correctly, the game really only rewards XP/Legacy to players for their primary stat (rushing yards for RB's, receiving yards for WR's/TE's)... which is disappointing. Pretty sure I'll edit his position above for gameday considerations, but will do a final position edit right before Year-End awards.

I'm also not sure how Offensive Player of the Year will be tabulated. I assume and hope that 2000+ yards receiving/rushing and a crapload of touchdowns would be seen favorably?

What do you guys think?

Last edited by iamwubbie; 11-29-2021 at 03:09 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-29-2021, 03:11 PM   #2
Pro

GoJags904's Arena

Re: "Offensive Weapons" like Deebo Samuel in Franchise

We are still in disagreement about gameplay and animations. This is lightyears ahead in retrospect to the way things move with EA Madden. Your workaround really is the only fix. Thats what i do with Viska on the jags and i look at him as a poor mans deebo.

Apologies for the lack of football attention in madden on behalf of EA.....they wont say it so i will.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

NFL --- JAX JAGUARS (DUUUUVAAAL)
MLB --- BOSTON RED SOX
NBA --- LAKERS4LIFE
NCAAF --- GATOR NATION (UF)
NCAAB --- DUKE BLUE DEVILS
MLS --- DC UNITED
BARCLAYS PL --- CHELSEA

MUSIC/ARTIST ALIAS --- SHIESTY SLIM
"CRAY CRAY" available on ITUNES, GOOGLE PLAY, AMAZON
Old 11-29-2021, 04:24 PM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJags904
We are still in disagreement about gameplay and animations. This is lightyears ahead in retrospect to the way things move with EA Madden. Your workaround really is the only fix. Thats what i do with Viska on the jags and i look at him as a poor mans deebo.

Apologies for the lack of football attention in madden on behalf of EA.....they wont say it so i will.

I do see the issue of balance. For User defenses, we would be able to adjust if, say, Tyreek Hill got switched to RB all of a sudden... but I would argue that it's a headache for the average user to have to adjust defensive assignments on the fly. Certainly doable and what NFL players have to deal with, but definitely a hassle for a video game.

And I imagine Madden's AI isn't advanced enough, since the AI really only sees positions and doesn't really recognize that WR Tyreek Hill is in man coverage against a linebacker.
Old 11-29-2021, 04:45 PM   #4
Rookie

Dsabol715's Arena

A franchise ago, for some reason the Falcons cut Patterson in the middle of the season so I grabbed him. I keep him at RB and then I could put him as my slot WR or my 3rd down back. It let me use him running and catching. I fiddle with my depth chart in game so I could give him a few drives or play big chunks of the game.
Pokemon LeafGreen

Teams:
New York Jets
New York Mets
Philadelphia Flyers
Old 11-29-2021, 05:20 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsabol715
A franchise ago, for some reason the Falcons cut Patterson in the middle of the season so I grabbed him. I keep him at RB and then I could put him as my slot WR or my 3rd down back. It let me use him running and catching. I fiddle with my depth chart in game so I could give him a few drives or play big chunks of the game.

I think I might do that too.

I'm thinking to editing Deebo's position to TE, having him be WR1 on the depth chart usually, and then figure out ways different packages/looks depending on how I want to attack.

There are some formation subs that would result in Deebo Samuel and George Kittle in the backfield if I change his position to TE.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-29-2021, 05:37 PM   #6
Pro

GoJags904's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamwubbie
I do see the issue of balance. For User defenses, we would be able to adjust if, say, Tyreek Hill got switched to RB all of a sudden... but I would argue that it's a headache for the average user to have to adjust defensive assignments on the fly. Certainly doable and what NFL players have to deal with, but definitely a hassle for a video game.

And I imagine Madden's AI isn't advanced enough, since the AI really only sees positions and doesn't really recognize that WR Tyreek Hill is in man coverage against a linebacker.
I always pound the table for better AI logic. With all the emphasis on abilities etc, if the AI could recognize threats via matchup presnap, or during play, it would change the game. Awareness would matter alot more and make players play more organically depending on grade/rating and the actions/reactions along with it.

I dream of the day a CB breaks off his man to cover a bigger threat underneath via play recognition after seeing the Safety over the top etc.

NFL --- JAX JAGUARS (DUUUUVAAAL)
MLB --- BOSTON RED SOX
NBA --- LAKERS4LIFE
NCAAF --- GATOR NATION (UF)
NCAAB --- DUKE BLUE DEVILS
MLS --- DC UNITED
BARCLAYS PL --- CHELSEA

MUSIC/ARTIST ALIAS --- SHIESTY SLIM
"CRAY CRAY" available on ITUNES, GOOGLE PLAY, AMAZON
Old 11-29-2021, 09:06 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

I kinda like the TE option TBH.

From WR1, you can get him Jailbreak screens, Jet Sweeps, and short passes like slants and drags.

From TE1/2, you can use formations like Ace Deuce Close to run Jet Sweeps from the TE spot and get some interesting PA TE screen and various boot plays.

From FB, you can sneak him into something like I Y Off FB Screen (I think), and even get him in the single back in certain Ace formations and certain Gun formations.

I think that spot gives you the most flexibility, TBH.

He's such a unique player; you kinda have to think out of the box about how to use him.

If you get him to SS, you can give him Bruiser, which would make perfect sense for his player type and these kinds of roles.
Old 11-29-2021, 10:21 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 4

Deebo Samuel is probably the most fun player I’ve played with in recent Madden history.

Pre-scouting update, I ran a 49ers franchise for a few seasons. I had equipped him with bruiser or arm bar. (Can’t remember which) and Grab and Go. He could catch a bubble screen, make the first man miss. Then, about half the time, just destroy the other DB with a stiff arm.

I ran him a few times a game on a jet sweep, got him a few touches on WR screens, quick slants. And that double reverse in the playbook.

If equipped that way, he’s actually pretty OP. But, hella fun to play with. Maybe the most fun I’ve Had in Madden. But, when Lance got OP too, wasn’t much fun anymore. Not to mention Kittle, who is incredibly OP out of the box. My offense in year 3, was borderline unstoppable.

So, post scouting update, I’m running a lions franchise. Nothing OP there. Maybe a trade for Deebo is in the future, thanks for reminding me. 😆

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »