Home

Fortune- EA Sports says video game A.I. is poised for a big leap

This is a discussion on Fortune- EA Sports says video game A.I. is poised for a big leap within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-22-2022, 08:54 PM   #33
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Fortune- EA Sports says video game A.I. is poised for a big leap

A quick note:

The execution of the challenge system in Madden (or any other football video game that has ever existed) has absolutely nothing to do with artificial intelligence and is not germane to this discussion. Rather, the challenge system is a set of scripted events, each with its own trigger conditions. The same holds true in other games. In some cases, user input is a trigger.

A dynamic decision by the CPU to throw a challenge flag could also be artificial intelligence. In practice, though, in most football video games this also likely is just a trigger condition. If there were some real time decision making involved, it stands to reason the CPU might lose a challenge every once in a while, or throw a challenge flag at something which is not immediately obvious.

When we talk about artificial intelligence in Madden, we are talking about real time on field player behavior, CPU play calling, plays suggested to the user, situational decision making, clock management, roster management, trade logic, draft logic, and so on. Heck, even referee movement and sideline character collision avoidance behavior is relevant here.

Last edited by CM Hooe; 04-22-2022 at 08:57 PM. Reason: a bit too harsh
Old 04-26-2022, 11:26 AM   #34
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Fortune- EA Sports says video game A.I. is poised for a big leap

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
https://fortune.com/2022/04/12/every...s-video-games/
I know that I'm on an island on OS in thinking this, but IMO despise obviously still needing a lot of work in Madden 22 the current CPU A.I. is exponentially better than it's ever been. No other version is even close.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
This is true across sports, honestly. Baseball as seen HUGE improvements in batter/pitcher battles. It really struck me when playing SMB3 how smart their AI hitters and pitchers really are.

We are actuality in the middle of a great moment in sports gaming, as the games, despite the lack of competition, have really gotten significantly better over the last few years.

It’s a bummer so much of OS is blind to it. The entire culture at OS is dependent on one major belief, and it leads to toxic discussions in every sport.

“Sports games are terrible out of the box, and they need gamers to tune them properly.”

This was kind of true at one point, 20 years ago. Since then, gamers have been ruining their experiences ever since. That statement hinges on a negative discussion out of the box, long before gamers actually get to know the game.

But it been nearly ten years since I joined in on that madness. When I stopped “fixing” my sports games and started playing them as intended, I found that a lot of the problems people “fix” are not actually broke.

Worse, when you start reading what people have done to “fix” their games, you realize you’ve spent a lot of time listening to people that don’t actually understand sports strategy.

But I’ve found great AI moments in NBA2K and NHL 22. What devs have now is an insane amount of data on how gamers play AND piles and piles of real life data from sports no one has ever had before.
Old 04-26-2022, 11:33 AM   #35
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by simbayless
I loved 2K5, but it had **** AI. It has get ten better, and their use of gamer profiles to improve playcalling deserves a ton of credit.

But, it was painfully arcade. One guy in our league would spam passes to his TE, particularly Ben Coates. I started assigning Derrick Thomas to double cover him.

Even though we all played pretty sim, the 4th quarter would reveal how pass happy arcade the game really was. If it was 10-7 going to the 4th quarter, the scores would end up 38-27. Because of you had to throw deep, it was easy.

But we really need to stop with this nonsense that 2K was some sort of sim unicorn. It’s a complete lie.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-26-2022, 01:55 PM   #36
All Star

TarHeelPhenom's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkerStL
I loved 2K5, but it had **** AI. It has get ten better, and their use of gamer profiles to improve playcalling deserves a ton of credit.

But, it was painfully arcade. One guy in our league would spam passes to his TE, particularly Ben Coates. I started assigning Derrick Thomas to double cover him.

Even though we all played pretty sim, the 4th quarter would reveal how pass happy arcade the game really was. If it was 10-7 going to the 4th quarter, the scores would end up 38-27. Because of you had to throw deep, it was easy.

But we really need to stop with this nonsense that 2K was some sort of sim unicorn. It’s a complete lie.

If there was one draw back with 2k5, specifically regarding the AI, is that the QB's threw too many interceptions. They threw way too many and slider adjustments didn't help; nor did editing attributes specifically for the QB. What I ended up doing to make it at least acceptable was edit DB's and LB's across the board. Their attributes had to be lowered in order to keep the int's down. The game definitely had flaws. But, I love it flaws and all.
Old 04-26-2022, 01:55 PM   #37
C*t*z*n *f RSN

K_GUN's Arena

OVR: 22

Agree with that 2k opinion…the DB AI was trash….personally, I loved the game but it definitely had its issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-26-2022, 02:00 PM   #38
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_GUN
Agree with that 2k opinion…the DB AI was trash….personally, I loved the game but it definitely had its issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2k5 and Allpro FB had major issues that EA haters either ignore or minimize to make their tired points. I was on the 2K5 bandwagon for years and in fact made close to 100 classic teams for the game. Don't get me wrong, it was a good game but to say or think it is or was miles ahead of everything else is just ludicrous and combative.

Sent from my IN2019 using Tapatalk
Old 04-26-2022, 03:41 PM   #39
MVP

NYJin2011tm's Arena

Every time a new gen of systems comes out developers tout how much smarter the AI will be. The result is though with each new gen they are actually dumber.
Old 04-26-2022, 03:51 PM   #40
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

I actually feel like the AI is made to look worse than it really is by a lack of enough animations to express what a player "wants" to do so that player does something that seems dumb because of too small of a library to choose from.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »