Home

Fortune- EA Sports says video game A.I. is poised for a big leap

This is a discussion on Fortune- EA Sports says video game A.I. is poised for a big leap within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-12-2022, 03:58 PM   #1
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20
Fortune- EA Sports says video game A.I. is poised for a big leap

https://fortune.com/2022/04/12/every...s-video-games/
I know that I'm on an island on OS in thinking this, but IMO despise obviously still needing a lot of work in Madden 22 the current CPU A.I. is exponentially better than it's ever been. No other version is even close.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-12-2022, 05:09 PM   #2
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: Fortune- EA Sports says video game A.I. is poised for a big leap

The on-field AI in Madden is generally competent, with a few specific strengths and weaknesses that I'm sure others later in this thread will call out. I do look forward to any AI improvements on offer.

The thing which EA Sports cannot afford to leave behind, however, is in-game communication of AI decision making. Generally all sports games do a terrible job relaying what the AI is thinking to the user, and Madden is no exception.

Games lauded for good AI notably telegraph to the user what the AI is thinking through audio cues, animation cues, and UI. For example, in the Halo games, Grunts panic when a nearby Elite leading their squad is killed. In the Batman Arkham games, patrolling guards will react when they stumble upon an unconscious ally or discover an environmental change. In Metal Gear Solid, guards will radio for help when they discover something suspicious. In Sid Meier's Civilization games, you are very openly communicated which AI factions are allies, which are at war, and so on. In Into The Breach, AI actions are communicated to the player a turn in advance so that the player may plan his actions intelligently.

By contrast, in Madden, the strongest telegraph we ever receive that the AI has changed strategy is the immersion-breaking Coaching Adjustment UI prompts. We never know if or when the AI has picked up on a play calling tendency, if or when they are deliberately picking on a weaker defender, why the AI might decide to go for it or punt, why the AI decided to make a particular roster move, and so on. Additionally, any strategy elements we are offered in the UI are vague at best and non-functional at worst? For example, the play calling breakdowns offered in the weekly gameplanning sections of Franchise mode are very obviously not honored during gameplay, and as of Madden 22 it is my observation that the numbers do not change correctly based on users' play-calling in multiplayer leagues (a step back from previous years).

A good AI is not only a smart game-playing agent, but it is also an opponent that communicates to the human player what it is doing, as to allow the human to react to those actions and feel smart for making the correct decisions in response. Sports games AIs are terrible at communication, and they need to do a much better job with this facet of their implementation going forward.

Last edited by CM Hooe; 04-12-2022 at 05:21 PM.
Old 04-12-2022, 08:48 PM   #3
Nothing to see here folks

oneamongthefence's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
The on-field AI in Madden is generally competent, with a few specific strengths and weaknesses that I'm sure others later in this thread will call out. I do look forward to any AI improvements on offer.

The thing which EA Sports cannot afford to leave behind, however, is in-game communication of AI decision making. Generally all sports games do a terrible job relaying what the AI is thinking to the user, and Madden is no exception.

Games lauded for good AI notably telegraph to the user what the AI is thinking through audio cues, animation cues, and UI. For example, in the Halo games, Grunts panic when a nearby Elite leading their squad is killed. In the Batman Arkham games, patrolling guards will react when they stumble upon an unconscious ally or discover an environmental change. In Metal Gear Solid, guards will radio for help when they discover something suspicious. In Sid Meier's Civilization games, you are very openly communicated which AI factions are allies, which are at war, and so on. In Into The Breach, AI actions are communicated to the player a turn in advance so that the player may plan his actions intelligently.

By contrast, in Madden, the strongest telegraph we ever receive that the AI has changed strategy is the immersion-breaking Coaching Adjustment UI prompts. We never know if or when the AI has picked up on a play calling tendency, if or when they are deliberately picking on a weaker defender, why the AI might decide to go for it or punt, why the AI decided to make a particular roster move, and so on. Additionally, any strategy elements we are offered in the UI are vague at best and non-functional at worst? For example, the play calling breakdowns offered in the weekly gameplanning sections of Franchise mode are very obviously not honored during gameplay, and as of Madden 22 it is my observation that the numbers do not change correctly based on users' play-calling in multiplayer leagues (a step back from previous years).

A good AI is not only a smart game-playing agent, but it is also an opponent that communicates to the human player what it is doing, as to allow the human to react to those actions and feel smart for making the correct decisions in response. Sports games AIs are terrible at communication, and they need to do a much better job with this facet of their implementation going forward.
Yeah it makes sense in those other games. But football all the proof you need is in the gameplay. Things like being able to find mismatches, calling audibles, players being able to dynamically avoid defenders, play-calling that adjusts to users etc. We don't need obvious cues just less of the issues that have historically plagued Madden. Franchise mode is where it's most needed but, well, you know.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
Old 04-12-2022, 09:03 PM   #4
MVP

simbayless's Arena

OVR: 2

I hope they improve the AI coverage &AI QB smart decisions
Imagine the CPU Tom Brady picking your defense apart and I'm not talking about perfect accuracy
But ROBO Decision making is a good problem to have
Old 04-12-2022, 09:26 PM   #5
Rookie

Heisman's Arena

OVR: 3

The AI can start with not calling timeouts at 1:01 left in the half every game.
NHL - Los Angeles Kings
MLS - Los Angeles Galaxy
EPL - Newcastle United
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-12-2022, 10:32 PM   #6
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneamongthefence
Yeah it makes sense in those other games. But football all the proof you need is in the gameplay. Things like being able to find mismatches, calling audibles, players being able to dynamically avoid defenders, play-calling that adjusts to users etc. We don't need obvious cues just less of the issues that have historically plagued Madden. Franchise mode is where it's most needed but, well, you know.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
There are ways Madden can do it too though. The broadcast team can point out the over-the-top coverage following Tyreek Hill, or highlight the CB pressing the TE on many plays every play to disrupt the quick game - just like a real NFL broadcast does. Yes, you can SEE this too, but it's not something that needs a label when it can be told to us organically in the game.

It could be addressed other ways / times too, players and coaches can approach the head coach with opportunities based on how the game is going and the coverages they're seeing. These feedback channels may change based on the position you're playing (QB, HC, a coordinator, etc) but the purpose is the same. These should be less about canned scenarios (+3 catching if you can get Bob 50 yards this drive - though there is an appeal/opportunity for that feedback loop there in a non-sim mode but I digress) and more about feedback from the game about how the AI is handling the set of players on the field and the production and tendencies demonstrated in prior games.

This can then be extended upon later in the game 'look at his production, clearly he is /isn't affected by the (type of play specific to that player), clearly some adjustments need to be made by (team who isn't successfully executing).

Obviously in competitive and optionally in franchise, you'd want to suppress this where it makes sense. It doesn't need to be a break from everything to play an animation either, I'm sure there are a number of creative ways to handle it.

Last edited by mestevo; 04-12-2022 at 10:35 PM.
Old 04-12-2022, 10:35 PM   #7
Pro

OVR: 0

I just got all pro on ps3 the yesterday day.

I’m playing the game against the cpu.

I blitz the cpu. The qb step up in the pocket. Throws the pass. It’s incomplete, but it’s a flag on the play. It’s a Illegal forward pass. I was like damn this game got glitches because the qb clearly was behind the LOS. Put my controller down for a sec to look at my phone. I hear the commentary say the play is being challenged. I was like wtf? I still was like it’s glitchy because he clearly was behind the LOS. I swear it was like All pro was like I got something for your Azz. This darn game showed the replay. that play was damn close. Way closer than I thought. Literally less than 6 inches. Showed multiple angles. The cpu won their challenge. Mind you this was my first full game. Right there that’s grade A AI. One could only imagine what 15 years of development from that team could have done smh

Last edited by Quentin32; 04-12-2022 at 10:38 PM.
Old 04-13-2022, 12:38 AM   #8
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

The 2K Forum is that way ^

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »