Home

PS3 version will have gang tackling?

This is a discussion on PS3 version will have gang tackling? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-06-2006, 06:17 PM   #33
Hall Of Fame

NYJets's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: PS3 version will have gang tackling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGHTNING
The Madden freaks are not the casual consumer who buys Madden, they are a small sample of people who buy Madden every year. This is why it is not in the game already. The people who want gang tackling buy Madden anyway without it so there is no incentive to put it in the game and it could turn away some casual buyers.
Why would gang tackling turn anyone away??

It's not like it's really complicated.

I think gang tackling is something everybody would like. Maybe some people don't care about it, but I don't think there's any casual gamers who will get the game, and say they wish it went back to the old tackling system.
Old 08-06-2006, 06:34 PM   #34
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkcil
LOL...

As hard as it is to believe there are people who do not like change very much even if it is for the better and this is especially true in entertainment. The consumer who buys Madden is very different than the hardcore consumer who bought the NFL 2K games. These casuals like it simple and they want it to stay simple. This is the dilemma for EA where most of the buyers are casuals and the others are hardcore. It is probably like 80% casuals and maybe 20% hardcore but you cannot please both so they cater to the casuals which means that as long as the hardcore continue to buy the game they can do as they please. The hardcore no longer can choose another football game other than EA football but they can certainly choose not to buy at all. If the hardcore gamer does lose interest in Madden and stops buying, it could slow the sales growth so it is a very difficult balance.
Old 08-06-2006, 06:36 PM   #35
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberOneRB
If the person from MaddenMania who actually went to Community Day specifically heard the producer of the game state that gang-tackling would be in the current PS3 '07 version and all future versions of the Xbox360 versions, how is that "not gonna happen." Its okay to be in denial if you have an Xbox360 and are angry that its not in the current version coming out, but dont' just make a statement such as "Nope, not gonna happen" when the statement has obviously been clearly made true by the producer for the game.
Well considering I'll own both a PS3 and a 360 I have nothing to 'cry about' if that is true. However, all you have to do though is, as I said, just look back throughout the years at Madden and how the company treats it across the various consoles. I've played Madden since it's inception and usually owned it on the various systems (Genesis vs SNES, PS2 vs Xbox, etc) and can say with complete certainty that there are hardly ever very large differences in the systems, port or not. Usually as I said, it's just some minor feature differences and some graphical upgrades depending upon what system they favor. And when I say minor, the emphasis is on minor, nothing ever as major as gang tackling would be.

But yeah, if you and others desire to completely ignore Madden and EA's complete factual history (aside from Madden it's pretty much the case with all EA games across various consoles such as NBA Live, Tiger Woods, etc) and instead focus on some blurb someone else "heard" then whatever floats your boat my friend. Just prepare to be utterly disappointed come November.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2006, 06:56 PM   #36
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJets
Why would gang tackling turn anyone away??

It's not like it's really complicated.

I think gang tackling is something everybody would like. Maybe some people don't care about it, but I don't think there's any casual gamers who will get the game, and say they wish it went back to the old tackling system.

Gang tackling may frustrate some of the casuals because it might make defending the run more difficult. Suppose the RB gains three yards before contact and then drags the defensive back two yards before the other defenders can help out. In Madden it would be a three yard gain since both the defender and the ball carrier fall down immediately after contact, but with gang tackling the RB may gain more yardage dragging and pushing the defenders for an extra yard or two. There is also the possiblity that the RB may break the tackle and run for big yardage and this would really frustrate some of the Madden casual buyers. People are just too used to defending the run with Dime packages in Madden.
Old 08-06-2006, 07:58 PM   #37

OVR: 34

It all depends on EA's version of gang tackling. We are all assuming tha it'll work wonderful from the beginning. I doubt that. In fact, I think this would make sense for EA to put it in the PS3 version. It'll be classic EA. Introduce a feature that is broken, and take 3 years to fix it.

The NFL season will be half over, in order to help give Madden an extra boost, gang tackling is a good idea.

Just don't expect gang tackling to be anything special. With the terrible collission detection in EA's football games thus far, I'd expect a mess.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:06 PM   #38
Pro

SeaNNyT's Arena

OVR: 10

A simple half assed gang tackling tacked on will not justify a $600 purchase and probably $70-80 dollar game.
Old 08-06-2006, 10:37 PM   #39
Banned

OVR: 21

The fact that we're even having conversations about the lack of gang tackling and the need to eliminate Mario Running in 2006 is pretty sad in its own right, IMO.
Old 08-06-2006, 10:50 PM   #40
MVP

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTheorenHobbes
The fact that we're even having conversations about the lack of gang tackling and the need to eliminate Mario Running in 2006 is pretty sad in its own right, IMO.

c/s... and if Tiburon does this, i'm completely done with the Madden series. YEP I SAID IT

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »