Home

PS3 version will have gang tackling?

This is a discussion on PS3 version will have gang tackling? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-08-2006, 12:35 PM   #81
MVP

OVR: 12
Re: PS3 version will have gang tackling?

[quote=Nza]

Yes, 2K was cool with tackling, but it's not like every tackle in 2K was different like a true physics engine would be - after a while, even the coolest gang tackles in the 2K series became repetitive. They are still just as pre-determined as Madden's,
QUOTE]

cant agree with you here, i still see new tackle animations based on player locations and ingame situations. and they feel user controled not predetermined. alot of the animations could be interupted and taken into new animations, based on what the user did.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2006, 02:50 PM   #82
Pro

Badboy49er's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph
Then Madden on next gen would only be a matter of better graphics and new gimmicks...That would suck hard!

As a 2K fan, i hoped that, with next gen, EA would propose new technology in their sport title to make them better ! And especially in the player interaction departement!

-OL/DL interaction in Madden = broken with succion blocking, when a defender run at full speed on a side of a blocker, then it will be attracted toward the blocker and then blocking animation start.
-RB/Defense interaction= no gang tackling, mario running, and the funniest, guys that just run toward the ball carrier and without any tackling animation, both guys goes down, like italian soccer player in the penalty box...
-WR/DB interaction= doesn't exist in madden except from the scripted bump animation at line of scrimmage. If not in bump and run, DB will turn and sprinted toward his end zone without looking at the WR, but can still follow the WR in his cuts. Whereas in 2K, the DB would make contact with his hands on the WR to control it and then will follow the WR in his route. I would like to see it also in Madden.

Basically, EA, please use next gen to start working on new physics/animation engine, or i'm afraid the only major difference between Madden 2006 and madden 2012 will be graphics and number of gimmicks...

With the PS3 power and Blue Ray storage capacity, i think it should be possible to have real/natural player interaction.

We'll see if the Madden PS3 dedicated crew from EA has gone in its own way when Madden will be released on PS3, or if PS3 Madden=Xbox360 Madden, with just a different label on the top of the box...
While i agree with most of your post, the power of the PS3 and Blue Rays storage capacity has NOTHING to do with how possible this is. This can be done on BOTH systems. Anyone thinking otherwise is kidding themselves...
Old 08-08-2006, 03:33 PM   #83
Youtube Innovators

The Lob Mob's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daudr
The only people starting that "rumor" are ******** PS3 fanboys. The gang-tackling isn't in the game not because they can't do it on the PS2/Xbox, but because it's too hard to get it to look/act right.
Oh they can do it, they just won't:
Example:

http://clips2.vimeo.com/video_files/...754.0a0b62.wmv
Old 08-08-2006, 04:53 PM   #84
Banned

OVR: 9

That has to be the best 3 pages of replies I have read in a long time....wow. Big Kudos to those who participated in that...

The question earlier about whether or not I heard the producer say "Gang Tackling is in the PS3 build" was answered in my original post. He DID say it, but it was not "on the record" or a direct question and no follow up was done by me (journalism is not my specialty, I am a scientist...lol).

What I have been trying to caution against was people taking that statement as gospel truth and throwing internet hissie-fits if it is not in the PS3 build for whatever reason...

Did I hear him say thos words? Yes.
Do I believe it is a 100% lock that a gang-tacklign animation is in the PS3 build? No, I do not. At least not in the way that many of us would like to see (ie. implementation of the Euphoria system to handle physics and collisioon detection.)

On another note, I fail to see why using complex physics is a detriment to online play. The existing online play uses P2P connections and was set-up to allow people to play over dial-up connections. No one seriously believes that dial-up is even possible for next-gen online, so I would imagine a server system or a better P2P system would be able to utilize broadband connections to handle the real world physics of an NFL sim. I could easily be way off base there, but its seems possible anyway.

Also, I thoguht the Xb360 and the PS3 were going to have ample headspace to handle things like physics simulations? Was I misinformed somehow there?
Old 08-09-2006, 05:14 AM   #85
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeDogg

cant agree with you here, i still see new tackle animations based on player locations and ingame situations. and they feel user controled not predetermined. alot of the animations could be interupted and taken into new animations, based on what the user did.
That's because of the sheer number of animations. 2K4/5 still used pre-rendered, pre-determined animations, it just had branches that launched animations that actually took angle/location into consideration when choosing an animation - who knows, maybe it even had some animations reserved for defenders who are sprinting, running normal charged up, etc. But the fact remains, it was the same technology as Madden, just done far, far better.

VC had to actually record every animation in their games. A real physics engine doesn't require you to record animations, it makes them up on the fly. 2K4/5 did not have a real physics engine, it just had a truck load of normal animations with a more complex animation selection system - if you played it enough, in theory you'd see every animation, where as a physics engine basically never shows the same animation twice. An Xbox wouldn't come close to having the power necessary for a football physics engine.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2006, 08:54 AM   #86

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moostache
On another note, I fail to see why using complex physics is a detriment to online play. The existing online play uses P2P connections and was set-up to allow people to play over dial-up connections. No one seriously believes that dial-up is even possible for next-gen online, so I would imagine a server system or a better P2P system would be able to utilize broadband connections to handle the real world physics of an NFL sim. I could easily be way off base there, but its seems possible anyway.

Also, I thoguht the Xb360 and the PS3 were going to have ample headspace to handle things like physics simulations? Was I misinformed somehow there?
Yes, with broadband and with proper technology on the development end, I think it's possible. Of course, this is my opinion based on what I have read about Euphoria so far. The following is taken from the LucastArts interview and I think really brings out what we are talking about here:

"Well, you probably Force pushed a stormtrooper or two as Kyle Katarn in a Jedi Knight game, right? Imagine if that stormtrooper was able to stop his progress by grabbing onto a railing and then proceeded to grab a gun beside him and fire back at Kyle -- all this because his biomechanical AI simply knew that that's the best thing for him to do. That's euphoria in action."

Imagine that technology in a football game where your running back is not making an animated move, but rather a move based on his ability and his surroundings. That would be amazing. As NZA said, this technology is what 3D technology was for gaming.

Now, the question is will EA take these steps? I doubt it. Right now they are focusing on what they call UCAP (universal Capture). What that does is capture the movements of people's faces, but has nothing to do with their actual athletic ability. They are doing it right now with Tiger Woods 07.

This is proof that EA is concerned more with making the game look like the player from a visual standpoint. UCAP does nothing for the actual physics of the sport. It just allows us to say, wow that looks just like Tiger.
Old 08-09-2006, 03:37 PM   #87
Rookie

jahswill's Arena

OVR: 7

I propose that EA stop saying its "In The Game", because ultimately it really isn't. To not have gang tackling in football is like playing basketball without being able to double team Lebron, D.Wade etc!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »