Home

Should the Sprint button be removed?

This is a discussion on Should the Sprint button be removed? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-30-2008, 08:51 PM   #1
EA Game Changer

OVR: 14
Should the Sprint button be removed?

This is something I've been considering for a while since playing EA NHL. Is the sprint button very necessary in Madden? At first I thought so, but now I'm thinking more and more it may be not. Could the button itself be removed and replaced by a new player action?

Acceleration and running in general would be sensitive to the amount the left stick is pushed. 100% would make the player sprint 100%. 50% applied on the stick would make the run at 50% speed.

This is a very broad topic, so I'm interested in how many people think of the impact of this. Is it feasible?

Last edited by Joborule; 09-30-2008 at 08:58 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-30-2008, 08:55 PM   #2

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: Should the Sprint button be removed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule
This is something I've been considering for a while since playing EA NHL. Is the sprint button very necessary in Madden? At first I thought so,but now I'm thinking more and more it may be not. Could the button itself be removed and replaced by a new player action?

Acceleration and running in general would be sensitive to the amount the left stick is pushed. 100% would make the player sprint 100%. 50% applied on the stick would make the run at 50% speed.

This is a very broad topic, so I'm interested in how many people think of the impact of this. Is it feasible?
I like the idea...I think for the most part when you are controlling the player and you have it pushed all way up (or sideways or down) you are holding the sprint as well...

For the most part, the only time you are NOT using the speed burst button is when you are the RB in the back field trying to find a hole...and that is mostly because it seems the defenders gravitate towards you...

I really like how NHL 09 does it as well...
Old 09-30-2008, 10:25 PM   #3
EA Game Changer

OVR: 14

Heck, thinking of it more. Even juking can be pressure sensitive.

EVERYTHING CAN!!
Old 09-30-2008, 10:45 PM   #4
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

I've been saying this since the last development cycle. I love the idea of eliminating the sprint button from sports games. But obviously, some gamers aren't as open to change and live by the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' mentality.

When the community interaction started to take off, I questioned Ian about the possibility of removing the button for Madden 09. He mentioned that he had tried it during the dev cycle but there wasn't any time to perfect it (I believe that was his response ). I hope that he gives it another shot.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:47 PM   #5
Redskins Pride

OVR: 6

And it shouldn't just be like, OK, i'm sprinting now ... you gotta accelerate. Of course explosive players pretty much go to a full sprint but someone like Brandon Jacobs or Jamal Lewis would gain speed.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-01-2008, 12:13 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 4

They need to remove the left stick juke too. Half of the problems people are having with the running game is because the left stick makes you do a weird hesitation/stutter step if you don't crank it forward right away. I have resorted to using the d-pad to run to alleviate the problem, but it would be nice if you could turn the left stick juke off.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:37 AM   #7
MVP

Stroehms's Arena

OVR: 55

I like it. Send this to Ian....zip...he's got. Get 'r done.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:19 AM   #8
All Star

OVR: 33

No way. Removing the sprint button is crazy!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »