Home

Could we please have more info on fight for the fumble?

This is a discussion on Could we please have more info on fight for the fumble? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-31-2009, 11:32 PM   #73
Hall of Fame

JohnDoe8865's Arena

OVR: 59
Re: Could we please have more info on fight for the fumble?

I think we can all agree that real time player reactions are just as important if not moreso than how Madden 10 does the pileup fight mechanic. Like everyone has mentioned, you should see frenzied players pointing in different directions before everything is un-piled and then a crazy excited celebration for the team that recovers including every player on the field, not just the guy who recovered or a couple of guys randomly celebrating.

NFL - Carolina Panthers
NBA - Charlotte Hornets
MLB - Cincinnati Reds
College Basketball - Wake Forest
NCAA Football - Appalachian State
Old 03-31-2009, 11:45 PM   #74
MVP

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDoe8865
I think we can all agree that real time player reactions are just as important if not more so than how Madden 10 does the pileup fight mechanic. Like everyone has mentioned, you should see frenzied players pointing in different directions before everything is un-piled and then a crazy excited celebration for the team that recovers including every player on the field, not just the guy who recovered or a couple of guys randomly celebrating.
this+awesome camera view around the pile+plus refs trying to pull people off the pile+an way to determine possession=perfect.

-if the defense recovers the fumble, the celebration should be huge compared to if the offense recovers it...The offense usually just tries to gain back composure and moves on really.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:45 PM   #75
We ain't cool de la?

eDotd's Arena

OVR: 53

Yea, so after thinking about it some more, button mashing is the only logical resolution IMO. QTE are more reaction based but coming out the pile with a loose ball is not solely based on reaction, plus I can't think of a way to implement it without having something popping up for the user to press...which would be cheesy and wack.

So I'm with those who suggested mashing + ratings. Not sure how else you could do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Con-Con
Honestly, some of the posters on here are acting like Rob Jones boned your girl while you were at work, on you own sheets BTW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobinson97
Mo is the Operator from the Matrix.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-01-2009, 12:00 AM   #76
Banned

OVR: 10

you guys want sim football and here we are talking about button smashing for a loose ball or a button sequence combination to get the ball thats ridicolous i think it should just depend on whose at the bottom of the pile who has a higher strenght rating and who has more possesion of the ball then the other player for instance
halfback has 63% control of the ball DE who has 86 strenght is trying to strip the ball out of the hbs arm the rating of ball controll for the halfback is 60%
i dont know how to figure out the rest but something like that.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:08 AM   #77
Rookie

OVR: 6

I'm with those who believe it should be random, anything else is going to feel arcade.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:21 AM   #78
Banned

OVR: 4

I honestly don't see anything wrong with toggeling the analog stick or button smashing to break a tackle, How else will you break a tackle?

Same goes for fighting for the fumble, as long as it doesn't go into some Dragonball Z type of cut scene, you gotta win the fumble some how. In real life there is a struggle, you can't just run up to it..
Old 04-01-2009, 12:34 AM   #79
Rookie

twthomas's Arena

OVR: 5

Without reading every post in this thread I would submit that:

1. PLEASE GOD no button mashing.

2. Please do not make it completely random.

Would it be too difficult to come up with a semi-realistic rock-paper-scissors
type event. Not literaly but I mean lets say that the ball is loose and the first three people to dive on it have XX hands ratings, XX Strength ratings and XX awareness ratings. Two are from Team A and 1 is from Team B.

The total for team A is 150 hands, 180 strength and 145 awareness while the 1 player from team B has stats of 75 hands, 87 strength and 90 awareness.

Thats a difference of 75, 93 and 55.

That totals 223 difference.

475 scored by team A and 252 for team B.

Using this difference modified by the number of miliseconds difference in arival time to the ball you could get a pretty good result.

Two players that almost equal the stats of a single player alone would have nearly the same odds while a player with much higher collective stats would have a much greater chance but its still chance. Thus a scrawny WR who dives on a ball 1/2 second before a huge lineman would have a greater chance than lets say a full-back who is almost equal in stats to a LB who dives on the ball nearly simutaneously.

My bottom line, the equation used to sim this event should take into account:

Strength, awareness, hands and time between touching the ball.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:45 AM   #80
Rookie

OVR: 6

One thing I'm concerned about is this.....Say I jump on a fumble and have clear possession of the ball. I don't want a pile up to ensue. This is not "sim" football. If a player jumps on a ball and the refs can imediatley determine possession then there should be no pile up. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE this feature I just don't want it to be something that is "over played" in the game.

With that out of the way, the only way I can think of would be maybe joy stick combos. The stick combos would get harder and longer the higher the game difficulty. Like maybe during the pileup you have a prompt to push up,down,left,or right to signify a struggle. Just a thought.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »