Home

Could we please have more info on fight for the fumble?

This is a discussion on Could we please have more info on fight for the fumble? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-01-2009, 03:33 PM   #121
MVP

OVR: 27
Re: Could we please have more info on fight for the fumble?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
I do not understand this attitude. "Ah, not too many people use these so they are not a problem." Seriously? So becasue only some people do it, it's okay becasue most don't?
When did I say it was "okay"? LOL.

The point is that there are neither enough of them in existence, nor enough users of them on 360 for example, to make this even an issue. It's rhetoric and nothing more.

I just did a google product search using a word string that should bring up a ton of results with different Turbo controllers: http://www.google.com/products?q=XBO...ntroller&hl=en

Guess what? It didn't.

Can you get the one from Hori in stores? If you can, I'd like to see it.

Oh... what about the one from modztech? Yeah, I doubt there are hordes of people rushing to an internet site to buy a controller for $100+. You may find some similar from places like netbargains for like $70 but still it's gonna cost you.

Wanna do the alternative and buy a converter to do that? You'll have to spend $80.

And you can't buy any of these things in most stores, so you're pretty much forced to hunt them down on the internet and pay a mint for it.

How many people do you think who play Madden will do any of that? This is not a real issue. You could button mash in 09 to break tackles and I've yet to hear any turbo controller epidemics popping up where some guy was breaking every tackle and scoring 90 points a game, lol.

Quote:
There is a flaw in button mashing that can be exploited. Isn't one of the big deals about madden trying to REMOVE exploits?
The turbo thing is not a real issue.

Button mashing and being good at it in the traditional sense only means that you're better at it than the other guy. Just like a guy can outrun another guy, out hit another guy, and can lift more than another guy. If a guy is better in a specific area, he should win most of the time in that area, as it happens in real life. I see no reason why this should be different.

Quote:
Afterall, I have only played some people who use the Rocket Catch. Why should EA adress the Rocket Catch since only cheese players use it? it's not like a cheese palyer will go out and buy a turbo controler. Cheese palyers have honor and wouldn't look for glitches or exploits or speend money on the internet to find nano blitzes and buy special controlers to have an unfair advantage, right?
The correlation is not strong, because rocket catching is built-into the game and is immediately available to everyone who plays it, which would obviously dramatically increase the likelihood of people using it. Any built in glitch or overdone thing is like that. A turbo controller is not available at the same capacity, it's not built-into the game, their availability is scarce at best, and few people use them. It's not the same thing.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-01-2009, 03:38 PM   #122
Banned

OVR: 38

I dont get button mashing. If theres a fumble you should run to get it, if you do you hold to the protect ball button and hope your guy can hold on, if you dont get it press the strip ball button and hope you come out with it
Old 04-01-2009, 03:46 PM   #123
Banned

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by boucher
if you dont get it press the strip ball button and hope you come out with it
Pressing the strip ball button wouldn't virtually be the same as "button smashing" ....smashing just makes it sound more dramatic
Old 04-01-2009, 04:18 PM   #124
MVP

OVR: 55

To turn turbo on you have to click a button. Someone wouldn't leave turbo on an entire game where there's no button mashing involved anywhere else. Do you really think people will go out and get controllers for this specific situation, click on the turbo button, and dive into the pile to decide games? It's rhetorical. We all know the answer is no.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:30 PM   #125
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono078
Also maybe even home ground advantage into play, the home team would be more pumped to get the fumble etc.
Not necessarily. If the Home team is the one that fumbles and the Away team recovers, that is a huge momentum boost for them which can silence the crowd and make playing in a foreign stadium just a little easier. If I'm on the road I'm even more desperate to recover a fumble because I need all the momentum help I can get.

However, I don't even think there is any type of momentum system in the game, so neither the home nor the away team should have the advantage in this case.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-01-2009, 08:48 PM   #126
EA Sports' Equipment Guru

KANE699's Arena

OVR: 35

I don't think this has been mentioned yet, but will the refs come in in an attempt to pull players off the pile?
Old 04-01-2009, 09:12 PM   #127
MVP

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackngoldfan
This is what I'd like to see...

Once the ball comes out, you have control of your selected player ONLY until the ball is contacted.

After the ball is contacted, you no longer have control of your players as the camera zooms out to show the scurry for the ball.

With the camera still zoomed out, we should see players jumping around the pile pointing in their favor (although, they really can't tell who has the ball. Just like in real life.)

Who recovers the ball should be random as someone already suggested, but I'll add that the team with the most players around the ball should have a greater chance of gaining possession.

The booth now takes over as they discuss what just occurred as we see a replay of the pile up. Not the fumble.

During their discussion the crowd either cheers or boos as the camera zooms in on the player that recovers the ball.

You still have an option to challenge the fumble if it isn't in to your advantage.
This is the best idea I've seen amid what basically amounts to 13 pages of repetition.

Completely random isn't the answer, neither should it be completely based on ratings. Some combination of those factors, ratings and random chance would be the best plan.

Now, to post briefly about what seems to be the main point in this thread. Personally I'm not against button mashing per se, but the points made about it being exploited are pretty valid too. I must say I actually like how 2k did the tackle breaking thing, it wasn't intrusive, and it worked.

Can Ian or someone else say whether it is possible during online games to work out if someone is using a turbo controller (maybe by checking for unrealistically short gaps between button presses?)?

If that is possible, it gives a very easy answer to the cheese, if not, then I'm still not against button mashing solely for that reason. As was said in an earlier post, turbo controllers are hardly ten-a-penny these days, so it isn't a huge problem.

I also think there should be as many pile up animations (and possible outcomes) as possible.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:23 PM   #128
Rookie

OVR: 7

I thought you guys were a little brighter than this. There is a simply answer. This is where a PS3 come in. They have something called sixaxis and that would allow you to fight for the ball. I heard a motion sensing controller was being made for the 360, so there we go. We are trying to make this real as possible. Ian, I expect to see my check in the mail.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »