Home

I hate how I hate Gus Johnson..

This is a discussion on I hate how I hate Gus Johnson.. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-02-2010, 06:38 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
I hate how I hate Gus Johnson..

I love when Gus Johnson is calling games Live but this is just absolutely brutal at times in the game and I'm almost embarrassed for the guy. Anyone else feeling this way?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-02-2010, 06:43 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 4
Re: I hate how I hate Gus Johnson..

I've never heard him in real life (that I can remember) but the commentary in the game is bad. Like real bad. Part of that is Gus Johnson, the other part is that it's poorly scripted, put together and implemented by EA. It sounds completely unnatural and out of place at times.

I feel embarrassed for him as well to be honest.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:45 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 11

He's not the right fit for video games. The best example I can think of is, it's like watching a movie or video game trailer with a song that doesn't quite mesh with the video being shown.. That's how Gus Johnson sounds calling games in Madden.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:46 PM   #4
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps2king
He's not the right fit for video games. The best example I can think of is, it's like watching a movie or video game trailer with a song that doesn't quite mesh with the video being shown.. That's how Gus Johnson sounds calling games in Madden.
Again, I wouldn't judge on the demo, guys. It's the first demo they've even put audio into...I think it's a given it's gonna suck.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:52 PM   #5
Rookie

CajunPunk's Arena

OVR: 3

He's better than last year's guy. Still, though, he's too excited. He says things like, "JOHNSON! .... back to recieve the kick. JOHNSON! ... returned the ball to IT LOOKS LIKE! the 21 yard line."

EA needs to grab Mike Patrick. He used to do ESPN Sunday Night Football several years ago, and he and Randy Cross did the commentary for QBC '99, which was light years ahead of Madden in the commentary department. He's got a great voice and passion for calling games that doesn't come across as corny.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-02-2010, 06:56 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan36
Again, I wouldn't judge on the demo, guys. It's the first demo they've even put audio into...I think it's a given it's gonna suck.
I agree Ryan...But i think what bugs me is....HIM. He is FAN-tastic IMHO doing actual games...In madden he just doesnt fit...IDK how to really explain it. He just sounds like he is faking it....Which he IS since they record in a studio with a script, but HE and Chris for that matter just dont work for me.

I still stand by what i have been saying since 06...LOSE the REAL broadcasters and get 4-6 no-names to what they do and i bet it blends 100% better.

BUt its kind of a worthless issue for me in the grand scheme as i mute commentary anyway . I like jacking the crowd and PA announcer (is there even one in madden this year) and lowering field volume to like 20...Makes me feel like i am there and helps with the sound of the crowd.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:57 PM   #7
MVP

woody2goody's Arena

OVR: 5

I'm sure that in the full game, the commentary will reveal it's true condition. Then we will see whether it is any good or not. I like Collinsworth, think Johnson is a lot better than Hammond, and the commentary in the demo has a lot of potential.

However, regardless, they have the ESPN license, they could have got Tirico or whoever is calling MNF this year. Then they could use the ESPN graphics and at least improve the presentation.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:00 PM   #8
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody2goody
I'm sure that in the full game, the commentary will reveal it's true condition. Then we will see whether it is any good or not. I like Collinsworth, think Johnson is a lot better than Hammond, and the commentary in the demo has a lot of potential.

However, regardless, they have the ESPN license, they could have got Tirico or whoever is calling MNF this year. Then they could use the ESPN graphics and at least improve the presentation.
Tom Hammond was about as no-name as you could get.

Madden 12: Tom Hammond and Dick Button!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »