Home

I hate how I hate Gus Johnson..

This is a discussion on I hate how I hate Gus Johnson.. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-02-2010, 09:50 PM   #25
MVP

statum71's Arena

OVR: 61
Re: I hate how I hate Gus Johnson..

Quote:
Originally Posted by footballdude1971
How about Gary Thorne? Everything that guy touches is gold...the NHL commentary is, in my opinion, the defacto standard on how to do in game commentary. It's top notch. From the sound of this years Madden I'd say it's just barely a notch above Joe Montana's Sports Talk Football.
Him and Matt Vasgersian. IMO

They get excited at the right time. Use names. And genuinely sound like they're actually calling the game for YOU.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2010, 02:52 AM   #26
MVP

duckfever8's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by footballdude1971
How about Gary Thorne? Everything that guy touches is gold...the NHL commentary is, in my opinion, the defacto standard on how to do in game commentary. It's top notch. From the sound of this years Madden I'd say it's just barely a notch above Joe Montana's Sports Talk Football.
Yes, Gary Thorne would make a great commentator. He's great in NHL 10 and MLB 2K10, why not Madden?
NBA-Portland Trail Blazers
NFL-Carolina Panthers
MLB-San Francisco Giants
NHL-Los Angeles Kings
Won't change this signature until Oregon wins a national championship (started 3/10/10)
Old 08-03-2010, 04:28 AM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwsFoe
I love when Gus Johnson is calling games Live but this is just absolutely brutal at times in the game and I'm almost embarrassed for the guy. Anyone else feeling this way?
Ya right gus johnson is the best guy they could have got. He makes the guy last year sound like trash. I love the energy and the delivery the guy brings compared to the boring guy last year. I like intense broadcasters that add a new element to the game, making it more exciting. The other guy sounded mad boring.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:21 AM   #28
Pro

rooney8's Arena

OVR: 16

I heard a line that summed up his commentary. Greene with a 4 yard gain to the 17!!!!!!!! He was just speaking normally and then got really excited about the 17 yard line. It's not Gus but the way he was used that's the problem.

Old 08-03-2010, 05:34 AM   #29
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooney8
I heard a line that summed up his commentary. Greene with a 4 yard gain to the 17!!!!!!!! He was just speaking normally and then got really excited about the 17 yard line. It's not Gus but the way he was used that's the problem.
What do you expect it's a video game. Theres always gonna be stupid things like that. For the most part its good IMO.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:47 AM   #30
Rookie

OVR: 2

His 17 is hilarious! I had a kick taken to the 17 and he said it then when the offense came on the field he said, "The Colts will start at their own 17!" It was hilarious hearing it back to back. Everything else he said was so calm but 17! And it's drawn out too. It's not just excited. He also draws it out like 3 seconds. SEVEEEENNNNTEEEENNNN!
Old 08-03-2010, 06:13 AM   #31
Rookie

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunPunk
He's better than last year's guy. Still, though, he's too excited. He says things like, "JOHNSON! .... back to recieve the kick. JOHNSON! ... returned the ball to IT LOOKS LIKE! the 21 yard line."

EA needs to grab Mike Patrick. He used to do ESPN Sunday Night Football several years ago, and he and Randy Cross did the commentary for QBC '99, which was light years ahead of Madden in the commentary department. He's got a great voice and passion for calling games that doesn't come across as corny.
Patrick also did an awesome job with the NCAA College Baseball game that EA put out on Xbox.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2010, 06:55 AM   #32
Pro

rooney8's Arena

OVR: 16

I feel Madden have done this in the past when adding a new feature. They want you to notice the improvement so they over do it. It feels like they tried to make every play the Stokley play.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »