Home

I hate how I hate Gus Johnson..

This is a discussion on I hate how I hate Gus Johnson.. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-02-2010, 07:40 PM   #17
Banned

OVR: 24
Re: I hate how I hate Gus Johnson..

Not Gus's fault. Seems like the EA sound guy is an intern trying to do a college assignment, not a professional.

It'd be horrible even if a legend were to do the PBP. Just the way it's thrown together by the sound team. No flow at all.....
Old 08-02-2010, 08:10 PM   #18
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Pick your poison.

A new exciting announcer or good delivery with the same boring commentary you can do in your sleep that's been in NCAA for quite a while.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:20 PM   #19
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
To be fair, i really don't likr Tom Hammond. One of the worst called games, from a TV point of view [not refs] was last year's Jets Bengals playoff game. Tom Hammond, Joe Gibbs and Joe Thiseman? Wow. Bore-ing
That simply AWFUL last year. I disliked Hammond long before he ever stepped into Madden and I was VERY pleased that Theismann was done with NFL games, he was the worst color commentator I'd heard.

Gibbs probably could have been ok if not surrounded by turds.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:20 PM   #20
Banned

OVR: 21

what EA can, and imo, should do is find a commentary crew that has been together for a long time...even if they are not the 1st team commentary crew for Fox or Cbs.....doesn't matter.....

this crew who has worked together for a long time, who also has done commentary for almost every team.....you get these guys...you work with them, but more importantly....get all their previous recordings of their games...with names of the football players used, situations, exciting moments, etc......you get all this info...and you put it all together..

THAT is what THQ did with their UFC games the past two years.....and if you play the game, although certain things get repeated every now and then...it still comes off really natural...and that is all you can ask for in these sports games...

as good as a commentator Gus Johnson is, as well as what ever it is Colinsworth knows about football (sorry he always rags my 9ers ).....no matter what talent you have up there....it doesn't matter if it doesn't come off natural, like how it has been mention in this thread.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:30 PM   #21
MVP

statum71's Arena

OVR: 61

I think Gus is ok. But I do agree with Steve's observation that the TIMING of the commentary is off.

He sounds just fine screaming "JOHNSON!!!!".... Just not when its a simple punt return for 7 yards.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-02-2010, 09:37 PM   #22
MVP

myownsun's Arena

OVR: 15

I actually think gus is great but its the string logic thats off.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:42 PM   #23
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

OVR: 36

I thought 2k5's presentation lacked passion and excitement too. It was the integration of the features that made it kick ***. It looked like ESPN...but I still enjoyed the ps2 maddens , for IMO better crowd noise and everything...2k5 still seemed dry, on field and off to me.

My dream is to be like mlb 2k10, not every play announced, some conversation in between and SEGUES:
"Now Cris the Redskins' switched to a 3-4, and that will switch the personnel focus to the linebackers for years to come..."
"It's a philosophy shift to be certain, one that-..."
"Addai runs on the draw across the 44."
"One that may define MIke Shanahan's tenure here in Washington."

Something like that, with a theme for 3 or 4 plays, and some interruptions would kick ***
Old 08-02-2010, 09:42 PM   #24
Banned

OVR: 4

How about Gary Thorne? Everything that guy touches is gold...the NHL commentary is, in my opinion, the defacto standard on how to do in game commentary. It's top notch. From the sound of this years Madden I'd say it's just barely a notch above Joe Montana's Sports Talk Football.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »