Home

I will still boycott madden football for no PC version

This is a discussion on I will still boycott madden football for no PC version within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-04-2013, 04:37 AM   #49
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16
Re: I will still boycott madden football for no PC version

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
If I'm reading it correctly:

According to data from VGChartz NBA2K 12:

Probably digital copies aren't accounted for, but doubt that made much of a difference.

In Millions:
2.54 X360
1.99 PS3
0.32 Wii
0.25 PSP
0.15 PC

With that said PC games hit 20 Billion for the year 2012, an increase of 8%.
There's still a market there for sure.

Then again I'm not an analyst by any means and am just looking for reason to get a PC NFL game made..
How accurate is their data really though? I mean even for physical copies.

And in this day and age, any PC sales stat not counting digital downloads is inherently flawed and basically worthless. NBA is on Steam, and I would actually bet a large portion if not the majority of NBA PC players who didn't pirate bought it from Steam.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:03 AM   #50
Banned

OVR: 11

Perhaps the best way to get EA to consider a PC version is to get the community to collectively say they DON'T want it. The way Peter Moore operates, he'll immediately decide to make it.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:25 AM   #51
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nza
How accurate is their data really though? I mean even for physical copies.

And in this day and age, any PC sales stat not counting digital downloads is inherently flawed and basically worthless. NBA is on Steam, and I would actually bet a large portion if not the majority of NBA PC players who didn't pirate bought it from Steam.
They're more accurate than mere speculation and dismissal.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-04-2013, 09:55 AM   #52
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos86
They're more accurate than mere speculation and dismissal.
Not necessarily - they could be just as inaccurate. Good intentions and a methodology to produce numbers doesn't mean you actually end up with anything more accurate.

Stuff like VGChartz is generally better suited as relative comparisons between numbers, not as an absolute point to make a judgement off of - like 0.15M units sold not being enough to be profitable - that's purely speculation and using a figure arguably in a way it isn't intended to be used. It's good for confirming that the PC version doesn't sell anywhere near as close as, say the 360 version (i.e. relative), but for all we know the budget on the PC version means only 0.10 had to be sold to be in the green. And that's totally ignoring the digital downloads problem for tracking PC sales, which as I said, makes any figure effectively worthless.

As a matter of interest, I wonder what VGChartz plan to do once consoles merge to primarily digital downloads.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:39 AM   #53
Rookie

NikeBlitz's Arena

OVR: 6

VGChartz doesn't have Steam sales figures, that's for sure. Steam only reports their numbers to the publishers (2K about their games, Codemaster about their games ...)
Old 05-04-2013, 11:14 AM   #54
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

Either way I seriously doubt 2K sold 1 million digital versions.
Which would still be under the total amount of 360 or PS3 sales.

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS
Old 05-04-2013, 12:10 PM   #55
Pro

Trick13's Arena

OVR: 0

I have no particular interest in which way this goes but, will the changes in the hardware for the coming "next gen" consoles make a PC Madden more likely?

The articles I have read seem to suggest, correct me if I am wrong, that the development of games for the new consoles will be much easier because the "base" of the hardware is more like a PC. One article, forgive me for not linking it as I read it a while ago, said that most developers would be doing their work on PCs and because the new consoles are so similar in architecture they would just transfer the work over...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-04-2013, 01:06 PM   #56
Rookie

NikeBlitz's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
Either way I seriously doubt 2K sold 1 million digital versions.
Which would still be under the total amount of 360 or PS3 sales.
Yeah it's probably not even close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trick13
I have no particular interest in which way this goes but, will the changes in the hardware for the coming "next gen" consoles make a PC Madden more likely?

The articles I have read seem to suggest, correct me if I am wrong, that the development of games for the new consoles will be much easier because the "base" of the hardware is more like a PC. One article, forgive me for not linking it as I read it a while ago, said that most developers would be doing their work on PCs and because the new consoles are so similar in architecture they would just transfer the work over...
I don't think it's a matter of "hardware" or "easiness" (that's what they say but ...). EA, technically, released more games on PC than on 360 last year. Only TWPGA(PC got a dumbed down version, nothing like the real deal), NHL, NCAA FB & Madden (we can add NBA Live ...) were not released on PC recently.

Mass Effect , Dragon Age, Need For Speed, BF, Dead Space, Burnout, Syndicate, The Saboteur, C&C, Medal of Honor, Mirror Edge ect ... were all released on PC as well as consoles. EA is probably the major publisher on PC so ...

Basically annual sports games (FIFA being an exception) are left out. i think the main reason is easy to guess.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »