Home

Breaking Down Sliders... How They Really Work

This is a discussion on Breaking Down Sliders... How They Really Work within the Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-20-2009, 12:28 PM   #97
MVP

booker21's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Breaking Down Sliders... How They Really Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbz06
I think the CPU run game is spotty regardless. Even with Run Block at 100.

So that's why it's better (IMO) to get rid of the suction blocking. I would rather have the game feel and play better because some things (hard coded game programming) are just unfixable. Like I said in an earlier post, putting most of the sliders to 0 felt a lot better than maxing out anything. Better physics, animations, reactions, player movement. The game felt a little more natural. It also seems that most of Bill's sliders seem to be gravitating towards the low end of the spectrum, so it might all make sense soon. I don't want to make slider changes to artificially produce realistic stats. I want the game to feel real.

Of course this can all be placebo, haha.
all sliders at 0 ? WR catching and QB acc aas well?

if this get you realistic stats i`m in!
Old 08-20-2009, 12:45 PM   #98
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by booker21
all sliders at 0 ? WR catching and QB acc aas well?

if this get you realistic stats i`m in!
Well in my test game, I had QB Accuracy at 15, and WR Catching at 45. Everything else at 0. The QB accuracy and WR catching obviously can't be at 0. But everything else seems to just be either ratings boosts or suction triggers. The game still plays out. You still see broken tackles and pass rushing etc.

Try it out. I'm at work...but you can see bill's theory holding true. I was pretty impressed with the results.

It could have just been "one game" taking place. But either way I think it's a good starting point in testing the sliders one by one. Start bu zero-ing it out and tweaking from there. I think it's better to start at 0 and work up, rather than the other way around.

Last edited by pbz06; 08-20-2009 at 12:48 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:49 PM   #99
Pro

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbz06
Well in my test game, I had QB Accuracy at 15, and WR Catching at 45. Everything else at 0. The QB accuracy and WR catching obviously can't be at 0. But everything else seems to just be either ratings boosts or suction triggers. The game still plays out. You still see broken tackles and pass rushing etc.

Try it out. I'm at work...but you can see bill's theory holding true. I was pretty impressed with the results.
I'm interested to see how it's going after a few games PB. I'd test them out myself, but too busy tweaking human rushing in my own sliders atm
Old 08-20-2009, 12:57 PM   #100
MVP

booker21's Arena

I'll try this but I'll use 5acc and 50catchibg. I just want to se more overthrows.
If qb plays too bad I'll rise it to 10 and then 15

by the way I don't switch on defense and on offense I play with rb and qb no one else
Old 08-20-2009, 01:48 PM   #101
Rookie

OVR: 2

bill...I have been reading your theory for the past two days and have really enjoyed it. I have not had time to test and attempt to be apart of your research because of work and family, but would really like to join you in your quest to develop the most realistic gameplay possible.

What current slider are you looking at?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2009, 02:06 PM   #102
Rookie

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by booker21
I'll try this but I'll use 5acc and 50catchibg. I just want to se more overthrows.
If qb plays too bad I'll rise it to 10 and then 15

by the way I don't switch on defense and on offense I play with rb and qb no one else
From a simple testes view, that wouldn't make sense at all...you can't compare result if you change the parameters, but I still expect that you get good stats/results.

From what I see/understand, (like in every sport game) the sliders determine the triggerpoint for a the calculation (taking into account the ratings) which decides which animation to trigger.

E.g. for the tackle slider....the slider determines the range, on which the animation (shortend it here) is allowed to trigger.

On Tackling 0, the Tackle animation is triggered within a very short range, means when the players are very close to each other.
At Tackling 100, the animation is triggered quiete early, so that even if you are 2-3 yrds away, the tackling itself is already triggered.

The outcome of the tackle itself, or the triggered following animation (succesfull block or slip) is determined by the algorithm which takes into account the ratings (and the user input).

One interesting thing, that bill mentions earlier, is the "cheat to win" mechanic applied on most sport games. Without any sliders, just different difficulty levels, the CPU gets some advantage on higher levels...I think most of us know this problem as "stats boost for CPU".

On Madden, for some sliders (thx to bill for this), there is no stat boost. But higher slider settings (for som,e.g. tackling) triggeres the animation more early=less reaction time...because the enginge already enganged the situation.

(Note: More to this later by bill. This guy really knows what he's talking about)
Old 08-20-2009, 02:16 PM   #103
MVP

booker21's Arena

as most people says, no matter what slider you use the outcome is not bad at all.

Played everything at 0 except for QB acc 5, Catching 50 and Fumble 50.

These were the results

Rams 24 vs Bills 31

Passing Yds 210 / 321
Rushing yds 142 / 172 (long 79)

Passing
Bulger 21/35 214yds 60% 2TD 0Int
Edwards 23/35 321yds 65% 1TD 1int

Rushing
Jackson 20-106yds 5.3avg
Lynch 21-156yds 7.4avg (long 79)

My complain... cpu passing yds is too much.. maybe it is because there was NO PASS RUSH at all.
I called a cover 2 and the QB had easy 10 sec to throw.. the WR reach the endzone, come back.. went to the sideline, went back to the middle of the field.. and after that.. the pass was complete.

Remember i don`t switch.

But this aside the game is very playable at these settings as well.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:43 PM   #104
Banned

OVR: 26

Just from that, you can try lowering WR Catching to 40 or so in order to create a couple more dropped passes.

Pass rushing seems to be an issue with the programming....lots of slider sets and lots of complaints about this everywhere. I get pass rushing occasionally, and 2-3 sacks here and there, but controlling manually seems to be the "best" way.

What if you keep the same settings but raise pass rush to 25? 50? 100? I wonder how that would play out.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders »