Home

Breaking Down Sliders... How They Really Work

This is a discussion on Breaking Down Sliders... How They Really Work within the Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-21-2009, 12:27 PM   #145
Banned

OVR: 26
Re: Breaking Down Sliders... How They Really Work

thanks bill, shadox, and DB
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2009, 01:37 PM   #146
Rookie

OVR: 2

Taking bills ideas into account I started working on my own sliders this morning before work. This is what I came up with so far. I started everything at 50, except the attribute I was working started at 0. Did all my testing during practice mode, looking for the most realistic consistent animations. I was set up as the SS but did not use.

(1) CPU Rush Block:
Used Giants vs Giants- Good OL and DL
Offensive Play- Ace Dive
Defense Play- Man to Man
Performed 25 plays for each setting
-CPU Rush Block at 0- Took away too long for the guards or center to get to the LB and the OL took awful angles to set up the block
- at 5 OL still making crazy angle to get to LB consistently
-at 10-30 OL makes much better angles just the amount of time for the animation changed
->30 consistent Suction blocking
-I decided to go with 20 because OL take better angles to get to the LBs and more realistic timing

(2) Human Block Shredding
Offensive Play- Ace Dive
Defense Play- Man to Man

-At 0-5 DL dont make aggressive attempts to get off block even when they have the advantage on blocking Olineman
-at 10-20 consistently DL made good decisions with swim moves and came off blocks when they had the positional advantage.
->25 players seemed to spontaneously get off block for no reason.

(3) Human Reaction-
Used Giants vs Giants- Good OL and DL;Changed to Ravens since I did not see much difference
Offensive Play- Ace Dive
Defense Play- Man to Man

-The main difference I saw during reaction setting was the FS and SS seem to hit their lanes faster with higher settings.

-Human Tackling-
Used Ravens (D) vs Vikings (O)- Good Run D vs Good Run O
Offensive Play- Ace Dive
Defense Play- Man to Man

-at 0-5 The safeties seemed to have to come up and make the tackle
-at 5-20 seemed to all have consistent tackling animation. The main difference which I saw is Peterson seemed to average about 5 yards at (5) and gained about 3-4 yards consistently at (20).
-at 10-20 LBs seem to be the main tackler
->25 Began to see one arm tackles and unrealistic tackling.

Plan on working on more after work

Last edited by jshrop16; 08-21-2009 at 05:24 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 02:06 PM   #147
Banned

bill2451's Arena

OVR: 16

really nice job jshrop...

every test that all you guys have been doing seems to be confirming my thoughts/theories and solidifying where my sliders seem to be going

finally done with work for the week, so i should have a good chunk of time to test stuff out I havent really looked at yet (mainly speed threshold) and then finally bring it all together
Old 08-21-2009, 02:21 PM   #148
Rookie

OVR: 9

well,thx.

But that's actually not the approached on this thread

If everything is working as it should, the slider settings for realistic animations/odds will cause a realistig gameplay.
Good stats are reachable with nearly any slider setting.
Old 08-21-2009, 03:26 PM   #149
Rookie

yopis's Arena

OVR: 7

Hey bill i just gotta say great work on this thread and all others that helped i cant wait for your slider set.
Old 08-21-2009, 03:27 PM   #150
MVP

bravesfan1984's Arena

OVR: 6

bill, are the sliders you posted a while back from work anywhere close to what you are testing/using right now? i was just curious..i know you haven't made a final set yet but just thought i'd ask, cause i had a few good games with those. appreciate everyone's hard work in trying to break these down!

Old 08-21-2009, 04:32 PM   #151
Rookie

OVR: 9

just tried to analyse the speed thing.
Turned Wards and Holmes Spd+Acc rating to the lowest (12,btw) and played a hail marry on practise. very slow with 100 treshhold.

Then upped holmes speed 1,10 and 20 steps....
Made about 20 times the same run from 50-endzone and a few other starting points...

What shall I say....no satisfying results. There seems to be a third rating or simply random reaction time on the players as my results vary (additionaly, it's hard to judge the distances due to this no-sooo sensitive camera in instant replay).

At least the first 30 yrds seem to bring different results...40 and 50 are pretty much leveld out. I will test a bit more, but I don't think we will get exact messures here
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2009, 05:00 PM   #152
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshrop16
Taking bills ideas into account I started working on my own sliders this morning before work. This is what I came up with so far. I started everything at 50, except the attribute I was working started at 0. Did all my testing during practice mode, looking for the most realistic consistent animations. I was set up as the SS but did not use.

(1) CPU Rush Block:
Offensive Play- Ace Dive
Defense Play- Man to Man
-CPU Rush Block at 0- Took away too long for the guards or center to get to the LB and the OL took awful angles to set up the block
-(5) OL still making crazy angle to get to LB consistently
-(10-30) OL makes much better angles just the amount of time for the animation changed
-(>30) consistent Suction blocking
-I decided to go with 20 because OL take better angles to get to the LBs and more realistic timing

(2) Human Block Shredding
Offensive Play- Ace Dive
Defense Play- Man to Man

-At 0-5 DL dont make aggressive attempts to get off block even when they have the advantage on blocking Olineman
-at 10-20 consistently DL made good decisions with swim moves and came off blocks when they had the positional advantage.
->25 players seemed to spontaneously get off block for no reason.

(3) Human Reaction-
Used Giants vs Giants- Good OL and DL;Changed to Ravens since I did not see much difference
Offensive Play- Ace Dive
Defense Play- Man to Man

-The main difference I saw during reaction setting was the FS and SS seem to hit their lanes faster with higher settings.

-Human Tackling-
Used Ravens (D) vs Vikings (O)- Good Run D vs Good Run O
Offensive Play- Ace Dive
Defense Play- Man to Man

-0-5 The safeties seemed to have to come up and make the tackle
-5-20 seemed to all have consistent tackling animation. The main difference which I saw is Peterson seemed to average about 5 yards at (5) and gained about 3-4 yards consistently at (20).
-10-20 LBs seem to be the main tackler
->25 Began to see one arm tackles and unrealistic tackling.

Plan on working on more after work
those tests are very similar to the tests that i ran, and i came to the very same conclusions that you did. great job....

i began moving sliders up and down by increments of 1 and found that a separation between the run block and block shed sliders should be less than 5 with run block being the higher of the 2. this yielded the best result.

i use zero reaction time, but i move my player speed threshold up to 45.

a few things i found with my slider set(based of of the experiments and theories in this thread) :

-there is a really good balance in play calling by the AI and teams are playing to their strengths.

-play calling and position ruled the game

-during run plays it is very important to hit the holes that are assigned to the play. on occasion creativity using your back may yield yardage, but you will quickly learn to stick to the play, and hit the assigned hole.
your fast more agile backs will be able to hit the edges and be more successful at sweeps and tosses, and your slower power back will be tough up the middle(tested with jacobs and bradshaw), with the occasional break to the outside for big yardage.

-during passing plays you have 3- 4 seconds to make a play. on occasion your line will holdup a bit longer, but generally the time to make a play will be 3- 4 seconds.

-int slider should be below 20, anything above 20 and you start to see rocket catching, teleporting pics.

-the suction is unfortunate,unwanted and unavoidable, but you can make it more bearable, and that's what these sliders will do. you will still see forced engagements between players and 1 or 2 from unrealistic distances, but they are far and few between, and these instances have only occurred during blocking(ol/dl interaction), i have not come across any when tackling or being tackled.

here we go:

Game options
12 minutes 15 sec run off
fatigue 56
game speed slow
player min speed threshold 45
fight for fumble - off

PLAYER SKILLS /CPU SKILLS
PASSING
Q-back acc- 19 / 19
pass block - 0 / 0(make sure you adjust your blockers accordingly)
WR catch - 23 / 23

RUSHING
broken tack - 0 / 0
run block - 20 / 20
fumbles - 75 / 75(i have only had 3 fumbles in 8 games)

PASS D
reac time - 0 / 0
int - 10 / 10
pass rush - 100 / 90

RUSH D
reac time - 0 / 0
block shed - 17 / 17
tack - 20 / 20

SUBS
QB 60/80
RB 77/85
WR 77/85
FB-TE 75/85
OL 70/80

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders »