Home

EA could be in trouble

This is a discussion on EA could be in trouble within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-22-2005, 07:35 PM   #33
All Star

OVR: 21
Re: EA could be in trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietcool72
Such is the case with NFL 2K5.

Because it is dead, it has been "martyred." Its die-hard followers judge it not for the also-flawed game that it was, but rather assume that the next iteration would have been a study in perfection.
I don't think 2K fans were looking to 2K6 being a study of perfection. I think because of what 2K5 was, people were genuinely excited about what 2K6 might bring. Contrast that to Madden 2006, where most people routinely say they don't expect the game to improve much over 2005 - mainly because most of us don't see them squeezing more innovation from the current engine. It's simply an issue of being excited about what may come now, rather than what may come in the future. Many MVP fans will probably be feeling the same way this time next year.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:40 PM   #34
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilCrenshaw
Paraphrasing here, but the best line in the entire thread is this one, reagarding playing a generic football game from Take Two: "I can handle fake players, I just want realism."

That is a classic line.
Let me ask you this? Do you play FPS games? If so, are you familiar with Splinter Cell? If you are, and Splinter Cell abruptly ceased to exist, would you automatically want to play the 007 series just because it is a FPS?

That is the same question ESPN fans face. Some might like a generic game over Madden. It's personal choice! And some will not choose Madden if given the choice!
Old 03-22-2005, 08:52 PM   #35
Pro

quietcool72's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by humpdump66
Let me ask you this? Do you play FPS games? If so, are you familiar with Splinter Cell? If you are, and Splinter Cell abruptly ceased to exist, would you automatically want to play the 007 series just because it is a FPS?

That is the same question ESPN fans face. Some might like a generic game over Madden. It's personal choice! And some will not choose Madden if given the choice!
So don't buy it!!!! Do we really need CONSTANT RE-AFFIRMATION THAT THEY ARE MAD, AND HATE MADDEN???

So what is their point in being in the Madden forum to "discuss" the issue? Nothing will change their opinion, there's no "discussion", just constant "we hate EA and nothing is gonna change that. We KNOW Madden is gonna suk."

Why even bother with the discussion then? What is the point of it all? Tell us what it adds to any of these discussions, other than the "2K Only" crowd isn't done venting yet about the December 10th deal.

Why do 007 fans feel the need to post their anger in the Splinter Cell forums for FOUR months ... and show no signs of stopping any time soon?

Last edited by quietcool72; 03-22-2005 at 09:00 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-23-2005, 08:47 AM   #36
Rookie

OVR: 1

hump

I understand that people are frustrated over ESPN being gone, but like most others in this thread, I encourage people to move on, understand its a videogame and give Madden a chance before you condemn it. I also think it is time that people give up complaining and starting threads like this one. Even the title is silly. EA is not in trouble, nor will they be for the foreseeable future. If everyone that bought Madden last year buys it this year they will be happy, but then you start talking about the people that bought ESPN last year that aren't going to be satisfied with a generic game (which I assure you is in the majority) and that is even more money they are making.

It is time to stop discussing this because there is nothing that is going to be done or can be done that will allow the 2k series to continue with the NFL license, no matter how many topics are started here.

I also think your analogy was off because you can't really compare the hypothetical situation you created to this situation. Switching to a different FPS is one thing, switching from a game with the NFL license to one that doesn't is going to a huge change, and I really have a hard time believing anyone who says it won't affect them.

By the way, the real quote that I was referring to earlier was "I can handle fake players.. I just want realism.." I was claiming it was a sentence that made zero sense, maybe less, but it is a point of view that a lot of ESPN gamers are using.

PhilC
Old 03-23-2005, 03:54 PM   #37
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36

I thought Madden's best improvements came in Madden 2002. After that it's been pretty much the same, and even less in Madden 2004 (IMO!!!!). I don't think EA is in any trouble, easily outselling what I consider a superior game the last couple of years, and now not even having to deal with any competition. I'm most disappointed with Microsoft's contentment with throwing in the towel on it's NFL Fever lineup. My second biggest disappointment is their inability to ever gret that lineup off the ground with a quality game.
Old 03-23-2005, 08:07 PM   #38
All Star

HMcCoy's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietcool72
Its a simple case of buy, or do not buy. What good is complaining if nobody cares? Even fellow complainers will eventually get bored with all the complaining.
Thats wrong. Thats an oversimplification, based on a Madden fans view of the genre. Its easy to say, "Hey, buy what you like" blah, blah, blah, because whether or not I buy Madden, its still guaranteed to sell like a mofo, still guranteed to be around for YOU next year. What I like or buy doesn't affect you in the least.

On the other hand, my reason for preaching the gospel of ESPN has always been to hopefully solidify the installed base to the point where the game gained enough market share to avoid extinction. To get enough folks to see how very different (better or worse is subject to opinion) 2k is from the IMO, tired-*** Madden whereas 2K could also be GUARANTEED to stay around.

Now, ESPN's lack of a strong base in 04 has led to lowering the price, thus starting the domino effect we see today. Now, My favorite game is gone, as is the favorite baseball game of all MVP fans.

So if you like Tiburon's snail-paced innovations, knock y'self out...but please don't act like consumer trends don't affect the individual. They do. My favorite games in 02 were ESPN football, ASB, and Inside Drive

Last edited by HMcCoy; 03-23-2005 at 08:20 PM.
Old 03-23-2005, 08:57 PM   #39
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMcCoy
So if you like Tiburon's snail-paced innovations, knock y'self out...but please don't act like consumer trends don't affect the individual. They do.
I wonder what percentage of Madden sales are about the near fanatical following the game has? I don't mean to rehash old arguments and opinions, but the loyalty to this game is incredible.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:14 PM   #40
Pro

quietcool72's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMcCoy
Thats wrong. Thats an oversimplification, based on a Madden fans view of the genre. Its easy to say, "Hey, buy what you like" blah, blah, blah, because whether or not I buy Madden, its still guaranteed to sell like a mofo, still guranteed to be around for YOU next year. What I like or buy doesn't affect you in the least.

On the other hand, my reason for preaching the gospel of ESPN has always been to hopefully solidify the installed base to the point where the game gained enough market share to avoid extinction. To get enough folks to see how very different (better or worse is subject to opinion) 2k is from the IMO, tired-*** Madden whereas 2K could also be GUARANTEED to stay around.

Now, ESPN's lack of a strong base in 04 has led to lowering the price, thus starting the domino effect we see today. Now, My favorite game is gone, as is the favorite baseball game of all MVP fans.

So if you like Tiburon's snail-paced innovations, knock y'self out...but please don't act like consumer trends don't affect the individual. They do. My favorite games in 02 were ESPN football, ASB, and Inside Drive
Its an oversimplification? Perhaps. But guess what? Its also the truth. I don't happen to like it either, but that's the way it is.

These are the facts.
1. EA owns the NFL contract for the next 5 years.
2. No amount of harping, mourning, or bemoaning is gonna change it.
3. It was done legally.

No offense, but other than repeated posts of anger, resentment, and outrage from ESPN fans? what's the point? Especially in the Madden forum? HMcCoy, I understand that you view the deal as unfair and that you liked ESPN NFL 2K5 better. I personally think that the deal hurts competition, and eliminates a game I buy every year and like.

However, what's the point of posting the anger about that- over and over again? And why do it in the Madden forum, where people are usually here because they like the EA game and come here to talk about it?

So really, HMcCoy- it truly does come down to either buy Madden or do not buy Madden. Fairness and anger about it is irrelevant. Yes, it will still sell. But we have to judge it on its merits or lack of merits, and frankly we haven't seen anything yet from the 2006 game. Lets at least look into things before we judge.

(PS: I like both games, incidentally- and not one year has gone buy where I haven't bought both. I would be telling the Madden fanboys the same thing if ESPN got the license.)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »