Home

Weapons are the cause of the Erratic Gameplay!

This is a discussion on Weapons are the cause of the Erratic Gameplay! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-16-2007, 07:25 PM   #49
Hall Of Fame

Heelfan71's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: Weapons are the cause of the Erratic Gameplay!

my first pre season game (keep in mind scrubs play 2nd half)

never mind. Game froze. #$$#$@#@#!@!@!#@#@$#$#$#$@#@#@

Off the top of my head, Manning had 1 INT. Their backup had 2 INT's. 1 Fumble the entire game. Maybe a fluke. Maybe not.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:33 PM   #50
All Star

DonkeyJote's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by x BaNGaDoShiSh
I have NJ Papi's all-madden sliders from www.maddenmania.com
We don't need a link since he posted those exact ones here too. They are a good set, and they help tremdously, but I don't think they eliminate the problem. For me, personally, the problem isn't so much the int's - they are managable with sliders so far - but with fumbles and the fact that int's are normally touchdowns because of the way the cpu lunges to get momentum towards the endzone before their picks, giving them a head start, even if they are out of position. A lot of picks I've seen are acceptable and not really cheap - but the way the body twists and turns so the td is easy after the get the ball - that is cheap. And the fumbles are way too prevalent. It is a programming problem, not a slider problem, imo. We might get close, but I doubt that we will eliminate the problem.

I am really hoping EA releases a patch (a la MLB 2k7) to fix this, but I am not holding my breath for two reasons. 1) EA has a history of not doing so. 2) I think this affect is largley intentional to make the game more exciting for casual gamer.

I personally wish that EA would do as many games (mostly basketball and baseball) have done in the past - make an arcade difficulty. Take out "rookie" (how many people use it anyway), and make it more arcady. I'm assuming they have to create different AI for each difficulty. We then use sliders to fine-tune AI. But no matter what you do, All-Pro AI acts slightly different than All-Madden AI. The playcalling, the cpu's players and the user players not actually controlled by the player all have their general intelligence affected more by your difficulty than your slider. So why not have a "sim" AI difficulty, and a "casual" AI difficulty that has more big plays. Since that is the biggest difference between Sim and Arcade - big plays.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:42 PM   #51
MVP

mdgoalie37's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsaQue
We don't need a link since he posted those exact ones here too. They are a good set, and they help tremdously, but I don't think they eliminate the problem. For me, personally, the problem isn't so much the int's - they are managable with sliders so far - but with fumbles and the fact that int's are normally touchdowns because of the way the cpu lunges to get momentum towards the endzone before their picks, giving them a head start, even if they are out of position. A lot of picks I've seen are acceptable and not really cheap - but the way the body twists and turns so the td is easy after the get the ball - that is cheap. And the fumbles are way too prevalent. It is a programming problem, not a slider problem, imo. We might get close, but I doubt that we will eliminate the problem.

I am really hoping EA releases a patch (a la MLB 2k7) to fix this, but I am not holding my breath for two reasons. 1) EA has a history of not doing so. 2) I think this affect is largley intentional to make the game more exciting for casual gamer.

I personally wish that EA would do as many games (mostly basketball and baseball) have done in the past - make an arcade difficulty. Take out "rookie" (how many people use it anyway), and make it more arcady. I'm assuming they have to create different AI for each difficulty. We then use sliders to fine-tune AI. But no matter what you do, All-Pro AI acts slightly different than All-Madden AI. The playcalling, the cpu's players and the user players not actually controlled by the player all have their general intelligence affected more by your difficulty than your slider. So why not have a "sim" AI difficulty, and a "casual" AI difficulty that has more big plays. Since that is the biggest difference between Sim and Arcade - big plays.
They did include some sort of patch with the NHL 07 rosters last season - it definitely changed gameplay and made an already good game better.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2007, 07:46 PM   #52
MVP

OVR: 13

I forgot what year it was but I think it was on ps1 but they had a arcade and sim feature with different animations and commentary.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:54 PM   #53
MVP

bwiggy33's Arena

OVR: 6

Alright in my first game I was the Bucs vs. the Falcons. I put Harrington as the starter for the Falcons instead of Vick. Harrington threw 5 picks but they were all dumb decisions. He was throwing into double coverage. At the begining he was throwing awesome. They scored a TD on their first drive with 4 nice pass plays which gave them a 7-0 lead. I would get 3 so it was 7-3 at the end of 1.

Then Harrington threw some picks but the thing is there were penalties on the play. For instance on one of them he threw a deep pass but I got called for roughing the passer yet I got possession of the ball. Isn't it supposed to be the Falcons ball if I get called for roughing the passer? It should have been their ball plus the 15 yards for the penalty correct? Then on another one I got called for pass interference. Again it should have been their ball plus the yards for the penalty. Instead it was my ball again. That is a major glitch in this game.

At the end of the half it was 21-6. It was a very good game so far. It was incredibly hard to get a running game going and my recievers were often double covered or sometimes triple covered so I had to throw short passes.

I finally started to click on Offense and would finally get a touchdown but I threw 2 picks in the process on dumb throws. The reason for that was the pressure the Falcons were putting on me. Every snap one DT would come rushing in. It was like my blocking was non existent. At the end of the 3rd it was 21-13. In the 4th the Falcons would get a touchdown so it was 28-13. Then I go down and score a TD. I go for 2 and get it until I get called for a 10 yard holding penalty so I kick the PAT.

I stop the Falcons so I get the ball back with 4 mins left. I drive down the field and get down to the 6. I throw incomplete passes two plays in a row and it's 3rd down. So I go to snap the ball and I want to get a short quick route. So I do one and sure enough it gets picked off because I'm an idiot and threw it to a guy who I thought wasn't going to be covered. There goes the game for me.

Final score

Falcons 28

Bucs 20

Stats very realistic. Both QB's had a little over 200 yards in passing. Both RB only had about 50 yards or so. Best part of all was there were 0 fumbles. With the fact that both Garcia and Harrington aren't very good the INT's are fairly realistic. Now I will take at least two of those picks Harrington threw off because of the bogus job EA did with penalties. Also did you know there is no facemask calls in this game. Last year there were too many and this year there are none.

I can say after one game that turning off the weapon system has helped so far. I did adjust QB accuracy so maybe the INT's for the CPU so maybe the picks will be down. I also adjusted Defense break block to give me a little more time to get off a throw.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:55 PM   #54
MVP

OVR: 6

Ive been playing on all madden defualt and always go in to turn the weapons ON. I wonder if EA had a purpose of making all madden with Weapons OFF. Maybe I'll try a game with them OFF, but I like them soo much. I think its a good feature
Old 08-16-2007, 07:58 PM   #55
Pro

SeaNNyT's Arena

OVR: 10

I have been playing with the weapons off since my first game, but I still see the superhuman moves the DB AI makes. So I would say that weapons is more of a cosmetic application to identify the best of the best, more then it really doing anything to the gameplay.

I wish there was someway to remedy the defensive AIs ability to cut backwards through mid air to swat or pick the ball, but so far none of the sliders have fixed this for me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2007, 08:00 PM   #56
All Star

DonkeyJote's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jm0ney2001
Ive been playing on all madden defualt and always go in to turn the weapons ON. I wonder if EA had a purpose of making all madden with Weapons OFF. Maybe I'll try a game with them OFF, but I like them soo much. I think its a good feature
Not sure why it's off my default. But like I said, I tested big foot and I know that turning off/on didn't make a difference there.

EA did a horrible job with penalties. I once threw the ball to a reciever, he fumbles, defense recovered. But there was a holding call on me and for some unknown reason the cpu decided to be charitable and accept the penalty, giving me the ball, albeit with a ten yard penalty.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »