Home

Ian Pockets and DE Play

This is a discussion on Ian Pockets and DE Play within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-14-2008, 05:48 PM   #81
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40
Re: A ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFuture15
I am so much more confident for the future...I realize that everyone is pretty smitten with some of the things that 2k has done with OL/DL interaction, and I just saw this video:

Watching the LG on this play...

So all they have is long canned animations for "get engaged" moves. If this was in any way truly dynamic, the DL would have peeled off and grabbed the quarterback...but instead he just kept going right by him in a pretty unrealistic manner.

We can absolutely do way better than this when we start to implement more realistic edge rushing. Steering, branching, looping, etc...they have none of that - it just is a really long animation that looks good.

Thanks for whoever posted this in the pass animation thread...a really good example of exactly how they implemented it.
That is what Freak93 and I hated about the game. Many times Dlinemen or other players get in the backfield and go right pass the QB. Irritated me to no end.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-14-2008, 05:58 PM   #82
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFuture15
I am so much more confident for the future...I realize that everyone is pretty smitten with some of the things that 2k has done with OL/DL interaction, and I just saw this video:

Watching the LG on this play...

So all they have is long canned animations for "get engaged" moves. If this was in any way truly dynamic, the DL would have peeled off and grabbed the quarterback...but instead he just kept going right by him in a pretty unrealistic manner.
Yeah, that's just a series of one animation continued..
Old 06-15-2008, 07:50 PM   #83
New Ork Giants

Goffs's Arena

OVR: 30

hey Ian this is for next year but id really like to see a goal line stand animation for the blockers and dline...where its just a blob of bodies trying to get position or how its executed..i asked this in the wishlist for 2k but since thats pretty much dead in the water im hoping you can get this in game...oh and dont forget to put specific emotions for this one

Old 06-15-2008, 07:55 PM   #84
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnoobie
hey Ian this is for next year but id really like to see a goal line stand animation for the blockers and dline...where its just a blob of bodies trying to get position or how its executed..i asked this in the wishlist for 2k but since thats pretty much dead in the water im hoping you can get this in game...oh and dont forget to put specific emotions for this one

HAHA You took my idea from the Vikings and Colts thread!!! . You could even add the refs coming in and trying to sort it out. Have the home crowd be going crazy and show the replay from different angles.
Old 06-15-2008, 08:11 PM   #85
New Ork Giants

Goffs's Arena

OVR: 30

^^ not really i had this idea since 2k5...i just dont like seeing the line men standing upright during goal line stands...hopefully Ian can get this in game
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-15-2008, 08:33 PM   #86
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnoobie
^^ not really i had this idea since 2k5...i just dont like seeing the line men standing upright during goal line stands...hopefully Ian can get this in game
haha i know man i was just playing with you. it was just a coincidence cause i just posted that idea in the other thread. I agree that it is important, not only for how it looks but how it changes the game. the running back run easily just run right up the middle and jump and without the linebackers being able to come over the top and hit them at the line. The only reason i don't think it is possible yet is because they said they do not have the right tech for pile-ups. but nonetheless this is important.

@Mrnoobie. Go Giants
Old 06-19-2008, 05:47 AM   #87
Banned

OVR: 2
Re: Ian Pockets and DE Play

The main thing I hate is that there aren't any true speed rushes where a player just dips his shoulder and tries to get the leverage to turn the corner. Done correctly these rushes would greatly reduce ridiculous scrambles. It's hard to run backwards and get away when the DE is already headed to the spot and prepared to pursue if the QB were to run backwards.

Many of todays pass rushers use a speed rush as the basis for their whole game. It is a must in any new OL/DL gameplay. I'd especially like to see the DE's cause fumbles by reaching through the block to swat the ball, a VERY common technique. Like I said, I think this one move will greatly reduce the effectivness of the "maddening Madden scramble."
Old 06-19-2008, 12:57 PM   #88
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Ian Pockets and DE Play

Ian,

You mentioned the 2 issues I have with the mo-cap. After the o-lineman gets beat, he needs to hold, try to ride the defender or follow him & try to pick him back up. O-linemen never accept getting beat and wait for the next threat.

Secondly, the mo-cap guys need to put in more effort. Someone mentioned violence. That's what's missing. Those trench battles are not as tame as your mo-cap guys make them seem. There needs to be punches thrown to the torso & shoulders, hand fighting, grabbing, occasional hands to the face and more general aggresiveness.

I know that was just mo-cap for outside rushes, but don't forget riding animations for all positions. There needs to be that type of mobility in all engaged blocks.

Also, linemen should never stand around of no one is rushing over them. After a second or so, they should look to help to a side.

We also need the ability to double specific d-linemen. If Freeney is giving an OT a hard time, we need an option to double him on all pass plays. But it can't be an audible set up where we'd be taking a blocker assigned to someone else. It has to be a setting, similar to what many of us want for double teaming specific WRs. Something we can set & forget.

And one thing I don't like about some of the suggestions in this thread. I think all linemen should have all moves, just different looks & success rates. Any lineman can attempt a spin, swim, rip, ect. Some are just not as smooth & less successful.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »