Home

Ian Pockets and DE Play

This is a discussion on Ian Pockets and DE Play within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-29-2008, 01:38 PM   #1
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40
Ian Pockets and DE Play

I captured these for your consideration for next year. I want to point out one thing before looking at the videos. 2k8 has a suction bug problem so the play is not as smooth as it would be had they gotten a chance to iron some of these things out. It's a suction bug though, not suction blocking. Anyways, there are some great animations going on here with the DE's and how they combat the offensive tackles and how they get up the field to form pockets or play contain. Let's take a look.

Frame one: Notice how Simmons gets a very quick and powerful Inside Rush. He is going to dip and rip through the inside shoulder of the RT here. Notice the speed and forcefulness. Now this was not as consistent as it could have been in 2k8 IMO, but when it did show up it looked really really nice. The moves captured are pretty accurate.

Frame two: Manley clubs the LT and runs around him and puts the pressure on quickly.
Frame three (Pocket): Both Manley and Simmons get up the field and get to the outside, but this is where the suction bug occurs on Manley. But notice Simmons from the right side, the OT is riding his shoulder and he keeps his outside shoulder free. Because they are rushing up the field with outside shoulder free it forces the user to make a decision to either step up, or go backwards, getting outside is a problem here. This is where I think Madden can benefit. You might not can stop guys from running backwards as even people that play All Pro run backwards. But rarely do you see guys running from side to side because the DE's generally do a good job of getting that contain rush and playing with that outside shoulder free. This way if a guy does try to run outside, it is easier to disengage and chase him down. The only issues in All Pro in this regard IMO is that alot of the QB's do not lose their accuracy if they run backwards, the Bronze QB's generally do, but Silver's and Gold's do not. If you can take accuracy off for running backwards then that's golden.

Let's look at some more video of DE play - line moves containment ect.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-29-2008, 01:45 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

Re: Ian Pockets and DE Play

Video 2

Frame 1: Bethea clubs the OT and gets a good rush to the inside. The key on this play however is Too Tall Jones at the top of the screen. He's rushing up the field on containment, again keeping that outside shoulder free. It's tough for the QB to roll away from Bethea because of this. He is forced to evade Bethea and scramble back to his side or run backwards and get eaten alive by Bethea anyways. Again, the problem in all pro was consistency when the suction bugs showed up and there is a great deal of holding that happens in the game. But the play of the DE's is generally sound.

Frame 2: Bethea this time uses a rip move to the inside and gets in on the QB. But again, Jones actually ensures that the play can be made because of his up the field contain rush.

I don't think you will be able to stop guys from scrambling backwards with the QB. Even All Pro is a testament to that. But you can penalize them for scrambling backwards by decreasing arm strength and accuracy. But you can stop guys from scrambling from side to side through better DE play.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:14 PM   #3
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

OVR: 50

Man I love your vids and how you break them down. This would be the kinda stuff I'd want to have Cris Collinsworth breaking down with the telestrator. Actually they should hire you for scale to do commentary. Have any vocal talent? LOL

A great product sells itself, no "back of the box" features required! (See Fifa...)

Old 05-29-2008, 02:17 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63

EA would be a fool not to pick up LB. His insight into football, plus what the community is after is best out there.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:23 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briankingsfan
Man I love your vids and how you break them down. This would be the kinda stuff I'd want to have Cris Collinsworth breaking down with the telestrator. Actually they should hire you for scale to do commentary. Have any vocal talent? LOL

Ehhh, I'm not good on mics.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-29-2008, 02:26 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
EA would be a fool not to pick up LB. His insight into football, plus what the community is after is best out there.
The question is...would LBz want to even work for EA? I doubt that he would from my conversations with him but again that's just my opinion. I think he just wants a better game, not employment.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 05-29-2008, 02:26 PM   #7
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

OVR: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
Ehhh, I'm not good on mics.
Neither is Tom Hammond!

A great product sells itself, no "back of the box" features required! (See Fifa...)

Old 05-29-2008, 02:29 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
The question is...would LBz want to even work for EA? I doubt that he would from my conversations with him but again that's just my opinion. I think he just wants a better game, not employment.
That's the biggest question. For the most part I just want a kick a$$ NFL game. Besides the things that I would want to do, EA already has a GREAT guy doing it in Anthony White.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »