Home

Ian Pockets and DE Play

This is a discussion on Ian Pockets and DE Play within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-30-2008, 09:21 PM   #33
Banned

OVR: 4
Re: Ian Pockets and DE Play

Well the big thing is that Madden is improving and thats the all that really matters. We have seen huge improvements lately and thats a very good sign. I'm glad EA is starting to show they care. Hardcore football gamers just want a great realistic game bottom line..
Old 05-30-2008, 09:30 PM   #34
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnoobie
im confident with Ian around he will change all that...maybe not this year maybe next year...he's already said that he didnt like how the OL/DL interacted and that they already motion captured the OL/DL play

Ian has rekindled my faith in the series again

i have a feeling the next few years of madden will be VERY impresive. and my post history has been very critical of EA
Old 05-30-2008, 09:55 PM   #35
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGmen56
I'm not tryng to put down EA & Madden, becuase It looks like they have been trying to improve lately. But by the looks of those clips from 2k's APF they just seem like they are years ahead of anything Madden is doing.. It's just not fair comparisons..

do you want EA to just give up and have no football games come out then??

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-30-2008, 10:48 PM   #36
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

It's only fair to point out that Madden and 2k have always had essentially the same blocking system... 2ks was simply better executed.

2k came up with an ingenious way around the suction problem... they didn't have the defender pulled into the blocker, the other way around... the offensive player was 'sucked' into a defender, an an animation covered it up. That simple change kept the gamer in control of the player, but retained the game balance.

So, rather than you, as a defender, being supernaturally pulled to the blocker, the resulting animation was the blocker stepping into you.

What neither game ever did was get into true blocking technique... the "passing off" of defenders toward the outside. 2k, however, did have the correct animations to let the defender's own momentum take him too far upfield to make a play, which was a good way to simulate the same within the system.

Anyways, not trying to steal your thunder, LB, just taking the other perspective. I played QB, so my mind works from the other side of the ball:P

PS: I wish to GAWD the NCAA guys would do this. Nothing needs an AI overhaul and more animation support as much as both running the option and defending it.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:02 PM   #37
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Look the bottom line is this. Defenders need to be pushed around by the offensive guys, not pulled into them like vacuums.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 05-31-2008, 01:01 AM   #38
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
Look the bottom line is this. Defenders need to be pushed around by the offensive guys, not pulled into them like vacuums.
Exactly, that's what I was trying to point out. That simple change would make the game feel 100% better even if it's not that big of a change code wise.
Old 05-31-2008, 04:02 AM   #39
All Star

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
Exactly, that's what I was trying to point out. That simple change would make the game feel 100% better even if it's not that big of a change code wise.
OL/DL line play is very very difficult. Its not simple. If it was, someone would have done it properly already.
Old 05-31-2008, 11:31 AM   #40
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

I'm not sure I agree with the description the defender sucks the Olineman in. When you are pass blocking you are in a retreat position anyways and defenders have opportunities to make moves. If they "suck" Olineman in then it is only for the opportunity to make moves, which Madden/NCAA needs to step up big time. I've seen some community day movies and there is something I really do not like and that is guys on the pass rush getting pancaked? To me this makes no sense. How do you pancake a guy with your shoulder when you are in a retreat position? And not only that the guy is aware of you and trying to take you on. They need to rethink how pancakes should work. Right now they just have them as a ratings progression mechanic for the Olinemen and you see alot of unrealistic pancakes. I mean these are NFL players on BOTH sides of the ball. How does an Olinemen get up to 5 pancakes or more a game?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »